Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Wondering that myself. I apologized for my snark.
The reply was returning the snark. I referenced what he meant in with "Philly is still in Pennsylvania" in one of my own followups.

Recall what James Carville famously said about our fair Commonwealth:

"From Paoli to Squirrel Hill it's all Alabama in between."

(For the non-Philadelphians following this, Paoli is the traditional western edge of Philadelphia's Main Line suburbs, although the suburbia now extends past Downingtown. Squirrel Hill is the fairly upscale neighborhood that lies at Pittsburgh's eastern edge; the main highway into downtown Pittsburgh from the east tunnels under it. The quip is more often cited as:

"Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in between.")

Carville, being a Cajun from Louisiana, can get away with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Been saw this and I was trying not to comment on this but I had too... It's Philly hands down!! Philly is a million City in a Three State Metro PA/DE/NJ in the northeast with Two nice size Urban dense Satellite cities in it's mist. If you want to add some sprawl in there sense that's what Atlanta does best lets add Kent County Delaware which sprawls Philly on down to Dover which is a part of the CSA! I'm sorry I just couldn't hold my peace any more and no disrespect to Atlanta but it's time to stop the nonsense. Atlanta is a Southern city straight up that sprawls from here, there and to the Boonies and back,, it is what it is. True it gets a lot of media attention especially with us blacks but it's still a southern city in a southern state and it its what it is. I will admit it is progressive to a certain extent but I just can't compare a Philly to an Atlanta, just doesn't work for me but that's my opinion which I know it's not an opinion really. Even if Atlanta metro out grew Philly metro tomorrow in population, I still know the truth and where this population is obsorbed and every one else knows it too. Just look at the Infrastructure, compare Septa to Marta,,, no comparison. Then theirs NJ Transit that runs rail across the bridge into Philly, not to mention the light rail and Septa runs a commuter rail line over into Delaware, then there's Dart. Philly hands down just feel like a bigger city, Atlanta truly just feels like sprawl to me outside of DT, Philly metro as a whole feels like a bigger metro... Wilmington/ Chester/ Camden / Pennsauken /Cherry Hill etc... I don't think a lot of people on here could have stepped foot in Philly.. As far as Hillbilly comments,,, this is Georgia and we all know how far Atlanta sprawls and this is still Georgia. I would be the first to admit us as Atliens seem to have an issue with being southern and I think Atlanta wants to be on that huge city level so bad and to fit in on that huge city level we jump the gun a little bit. I will admit the city has some big city amenities,,, Airport and Marta IMO is what has given it its biggest boost I feel. Marta has is the back bone and I some times feel if the city didn't have it, it wouldn't have reached over 5,000,000 metro population today, I just don't see it. I admit marta is the reason why 3 of my Children are here today adding to that, lol... I remember back in the early 90's when in Atlanta early growth days and having family even moving to DeKalb County from the Bronx. They said the only thing that made them move here is or attracted them to Atlanta was it having a Train. It was a Country city with a subway and they liked that!! I used to like when southern rappers embraced the fact Atlanta was southern and country, the Hillbilly/Dukes of Hazzard mix and Black Country all of that mixed right on in with the city but I don't know todays Atlanta.. Seems we like to pretend we are something we are not and it's not pretty. Its ok to progress but know where we come from and what we truly are is all I'm saying,, stop denying
A couple of comments:

--In case you haven't noticed, the big political division in this country now is not regional (North/South, East/West, red-state/blue-state), but settlement-based (urban/rural). Very few large cities are politically conservative - Oklahoma City is one of the few notable exceptions. Their suburbs may not be so liberal outside the Northeast and Pacific coast, but the cities themselves, Atlanta included, are now deep blue. In that respect Atlanta is more like Philadelphia than unlike it. It's just that its suburbs may not have followed along while Philadephia's are headed in its direction politically.

--You're black, and MARTA is the reason your kids live in Atlanta? I've heard a faintly racist one-liner about "what MARTA really stands for" that I won't repeat here but I'll bet many of you have also heard.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The reply was returning the snark. I referenced what he meant in with "Philly is still in Pennsylvania" in one of my own followups.

Recall what James Carville famously said about our fair Commonwealth:

"From Paoli to Squirrel Hill it's all Alabama in between."

(For the non-Philadelphians following this, Paoli is the traditional western edge of Philadelphia's Main Line suburbs, although the suburbia now extends past Downingtown. Squirrel Hill is the fairly upscale neighborhood that lies at Pittsburgh's eastern edge; the main highway into downtown Pittsburgh from the east tunnels under it. The quip is more often cited as:

"Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in between.")

Carville, being a Cajun from Louisiana, can get away with this.

A couple of comments:

--In case you haven't noticed, the big political division in this country now is not regional (North/South, East/West, red-state/blue-state), but settlement-based (urban/rural). Very few large cities are politically conservative - Oklahoma City is one of the few notable exceptions. Their suburbs may not be so liberal outside the Northeast and Pacific coast, but the cities themselves, Atlanta included, are now deep blue. In that respect Atlanta is more like Philadelphia than unlike it. It's just that its suburbs may not have followed along while Philadephia's are headed in its direction politically.

--You're black, and MARTA is the reason your kids live in Atlanta? I've heard a faintly racist one-liner about "what MARTA really stands for" that I won't repeat here but I'll bet many of you have also heard.
You have really been the local Philadelphia voice of reason throughout this thread. Thank you!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:25 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
So the other poster: why does your paragraph come off as condescending when you mention Atlanta being a southern city? The fastest growing region is the south, so obviously it won't remain "hillbilly" too long if everyone is moving there.

Those northeastern cities are having a lot of touble keeping up with how fast these country towns are growing.
Its so stu[id.Hillbilly is a term used fow white mountain people whp generally were farmers.
Since much Georgia is not mountains and heavily African American I find these statements just plain ignorant.

The South is the cultural heart of America whether people like it or not.The things the world identify as American is rooted largely in Southern culture

Old 07-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
What the **** is this supposed to mean?
Ever heard of Kennsington?Thats what he means.lol

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Its so stu[id.Hillbilly is a term used fow white mountain people whp generally were farmers.
Since much Georgia is not mountains and heavily African American I find these statements just plain ignorant.

The South is the cultural heart of America whether people like it or not.The things the world identify as American is rooted largely in Southern culture
I was about to issue a mild protest when I remembered where jazz comes from.

However, Louisiana is Southern only geographically. Culturally, it's a world apart from the rest of the South, just as Texas to its west is. (It's also a world apart from the entire rest of the country legally, as its laws are based on the Napoleonic Code rather than English common law.)

I'll bet, though, that the old plantocracy would have a fit if they knew that most of those things are also rooted in the world of the Southern slaves.

One more coda on Atlanta and progressivism:

The city has actually long been one of the South's more progressive - sheesh, most progressive - on matters racial. Where rival Birmingham actively suppressed the Civil Rights Movement, Atlanta's civic leaders managed to work out a peace treaty with it. (Those lunch-counter sit-ins took place in North Carolina, while I'm at it.) I know I've raised this before, but anyone else here remember "the city too busy to hate"? That as much as anything set Atlanta on its rapid upward trajectory since the 1960s. (And they were doing this while segregationist Lester Maddox occupied the Governor's office right in the center of Atlanta.)

Edited to add: And the election of Atlanta's first black mayor in the 1980s elicited no panic on the part of white Atlantans either. By contrast, up in Chicago, most of that city's white ethnics were apoplectic at the prospect of Harold Washington's election about a decade later.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
The city has actually long been one of the South's more progressive - sheesh, most progressive - on matters racial. Where rival Birmingham actively suppressed the Civil Rights Movement, Atlanta's civic leaders managed to work out a peace treaty with it. (Those lunch-counter sit-ins took place in North Carolina, while I'm at it.) I know I've raised this before, but anyone else here remember "the city too busy to hate"? That as much as anything set Atlanta on its rapid upward trajectory since the 1960s. (And they were doing this while segregationist Lester Maddox occupied the Governor's office right in the center of Atlanta.)

Edited to add: And the election of Atlanta's first black mayor in the 1980s elicited no panic on the part of white Atlantans either. By contrast, up in Chicago, most of that city's white ethnics were apoplectic at the prospect of Harold Washington's election about a decade later.
And just prior to Maynard Jackson, Atlanta elected it's first Jewish Mayor in Sam Massell. In 2001, we elected one of the first out gay City Council Presidents in Cathy Woolard. Atlanta has been very progressive for decades.

Your depth of knowledge about the place continues to impress!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I was about to issue a mild protest when I remembered where jazz comes from.

However, Louisiana is Southern only geographically. Culturally, it's a world apart from the rest of the South, just as Texas to its west is. (It's also a world apart from the entire rest of the country legally, as its laws are based on the Napoleonic Code rather than English common law.)
Southern Louisiana is certainly culturally distinct (although it really wouldn't fit in any other region but the South); northern Louisiana is a different story and more like the traditional South.

Quote:
Maynard Jackson was actually elected in the early 70's as Atlanta's first Black mayor, but point well taken.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
We have been down this road before and we all know this, should have seen this coming.. Philly and Atlanta is a totally different story.. These two cities population are totally different and not equal in size and type.. They are metro Areas with similar size population but one dense and have more urban nodes while the other more suburban sprawl,, suburban edge city nodes and sprawl contains a lot of rural area, not to mention Atlanta is far more green.. Just don't see Atlanta and Philly on the same level.. I guess many are using the metro population to justify this one.. So be it if that makes it work
Atlanta have more federal agencies,international headquarters,diplomatic offices etc but that means nothing because Philly has a higher GDP and ranks higher in media markets?
Thats what Ive got out of this thread.People dismissing what the thread title is about using metrics that have nothing to do with the top.

Atlanta has 10 diplomatic offices.Philly has 4

Atlanta has more corporate clout

People bring up a GDP of Philly but Atlanta has caught up and will pass Philly within the next ten years by ALL estimates from official sources.
How can a city be so influential and have half diplomatic misions than a city roughly the same size metro?
Am I a booster if I say this sense to make sense to me?

GDP Growth Change 2015=2016
Philly-1.5%
ATL-2.1%

Whats the last big international event held in Philly?
What's the biggest company that has relocated to Philly in the last 10 years?
I mean these are questions that clearly show relevance to why companies and events select a city.
Some people are dismissing all these list and rankings but at the end of the day,if you arent really being discussed,then you are not influential or relevant.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Both.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Been saw this and I was trying not to comment on this but I had too... It's Philly hands down!! Philly is a million City in a Three State Metro PA/DE/NJ in the northeast with Two nice size Urban dense Satellite cities in it's mist. If you want to add some sprawl in there sense that's what Atlanta does best lets add Kent County Delaware which sprawls Philly on down to Dover which is a part of the CSA! I'm sorry I just couldn't hold my peace any more and no disrespect to Atlanta but it's time to stop the nonsense. Atlanta is a Southern city straight up that sprawls from here, there and to the Boonies and back,, it is what it is. True it gets a lot of media attention especially with us blacks but it's still a southern city in a southern state and it its what it is. I will admit it is progressive to a certain extent but I just can't compare a Philly to an Atlanta, just doesn't work for me but that's my opinion which I know it's not an opinion really. Even if Atlanta metro out grew Philly metro tomorrow in population, I still know the truth and where this population is obsorbed and every one else knows it too. Just look at the Infrastructure, compare Septa to Marta,,, no comparison. Then theirs NJ Transit that runs rail across the bridge into Philly, not to mention the light rail and Septa runs a commuter rail line over into Delaware, then there's Dart. Philly hands down just feel like a bigger city, Atlanta truly just feels like sprawl to me outside of DT, Philly metro as a whole feels like a bigger metro... Wilmington/ Chester/ Camden / Pennsauken /Cherry Hill etc... I don't think a lot of people on here could have stepped foot in Philly.. As far as Hillbilly comments,,, this is Georgia and we all know how far Atlanta sprawls and this is still Georgia. I would be the first to admit us as Atliens seem to have an issue with being southern and I think Atlanta wants to be on that huge city level so bad and to fit in on that huge city level we jump the gun a little bit. I will admit the city has some big city amenities,,, Airport and Marta IMO is what has given it its biggest boost I feel. Marta has is the back bone and I some times feel if the city didn't have it, it wouldn't have reached over 5,000,000 metro population today, I just don't see it. I admit marta is the reason why 3 of my Children are here today adding to that, lol... I remember back in the early 90's when in Atlanta early growth days and having family even moving to DeKalb County from the Bronx. They said the only thing that made them move here is or attracted them to Atlanta was it having a Train. It was a Country city with a subway and they liked that!! I used to like when southern rappers embraced the fact Atlanta was southern and country, the Hillbilly/Dukes of Hazzard mix and Black Country all of that mixed right on in with the city but I don't know todays Atlanta.. Seems we like to pretend we are something we are not and it's not pretty. Its ok to progress but know where we come from and what we truly are is all I'm saying,, stop denying
Im sorry but this post makes no sense to me.
How do presume if there was no subway Atlanta would not hace reached 5 million?Now if you said Airport then I could go with that,

Your hillbilly silliness is typical of people who aren't from the South.
Hillbilllies are mountain people.(Appalacian/Ozarks)White to be specific.
The Applacians which run though Pennsylvanis.Doest sound like may of the posters here have really traveled around PA as I have, You see some parts that look no different than the Southern Appalacians.
Pennsyltucky
Rural parts of Pennsylvania with large concentrations of country folk, noted for interest in Hunting, Country Music, NASCAR, trailer life, Wal-Mart and working at the plant. Often spotted wearing camouflage with full grown beards or unkept caveman appearance driving pickup trucks with gun racks. Note: PA has the largest Rural population of any state, not everyone who lives or is from these regions is a red neck, hick or country bumpkin and most who don't dislike the reference "Pennsyltuckey" and find it insulting.

How does a state with such a large black population be "hillbilly"?

There is nothing really between Philly and Wilmington. that is notable in growth than outside in Atlanta. One direction is Chester/Wilmington,another is Camden and the only other direction notable is towards King of Prussia or towards Bryn Mawr /Villanova areas.
I love Philly but its greater Philly area is lack luster compared to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City