Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 05:39 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You could definitely argue this because I also love Seattle but Bellevue has a great skyline, right on Lake Washington, has great restaurants, outstanding schools, high paying jobs and is beautiful.
Well, Seattle doesn't really fall into this category. Bellevue is very nice with enough shopping to keep anyone busy and a skyline bigger than some major rust belt cities. However Bellevue feels very corporate and doesn't come anywhere close to the vibrancy, atmosphere, and bustle of downtown Seattle. Bellevue also doesn't have very much public waterfront on the lake. Kirkland up the road does better with much more attractive waterfront. Though neither can compete with Seattle's abundant public spaces along by the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 06:27 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well, Seattle doesn't really fall into this category. Bellevue is very nice with enough shopping to keep anyone busy and a skyline bigger than some major rust belt cities. However Bellevue feels very corporate and doesn't come anywhere close to the vibrancy, atmosphere, and bustle of downtown Seattle. Bellevue also doesn't have very much public waterfront on the lake. Kirkland up the road does better with much more attractive waterfront. Though neither can compete with Seattle's abundant public spaces along by the water.
Bellevue is the century city of Seattle.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Bellevue is the century city of Seattle.
I tend to think of the whole Eastside (Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond/Issaquah) as the Orange County of Seattle.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-03-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 06:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
I tend to think of the whole Eastside (Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond/Issaquah) as the Orange County of Seattle.
Yes that makes sense, Issaquah has similarities to Irvine.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Bellevue has over 100 hi-rises? Because Cleveland (149), STL (226), Indy (143), Cincy (157), Detroit (200), Kansas City (174), Milwaukee (148), Minneapolis (258), St. Paul (97) and Chicago (1,262) all have at least that many (according to Emporis)

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 01-03-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Buffalo. Elmwood Village is the place to be. Downtown is a ghost town.

Phoenix. There's nothing to do downtown, you'll have to go Tempe or Scottsdale, both of which are suburbs.

Detroit. Grosse Pointe and Royal Oak are two happening suburbs that offer more than downtown.

Cleveland. Lakewood, Ohio, a suburb directly west of Cleveland is the most densely populated city in Ohio. It offers great restaurant, bars, and live music.

At least Royal Oak can be debated (although it would still lose to downtown in terms of things it offers) but Grosse Pointe? lmao. If anything it would probably be Ann Arbor but that is a college town so it's kind of different.

OT: Miami Beach (south beach).
LA: Many of the things LA is known for the most is outside of it ex Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu, Bel-Air, even Compton.

Last edited by MS313; 01-03-2015 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Bellevue has over 100 hi-rises? Because Cleveland (149), STL (226), Indy (143), Cincy (157), Detroit (200), Kansas City (174), Milwaukee (148), Minneapolis (258), St. Paul (97) and Chicago (1,262) all have at least that many (according to Emporis)
Well Bellevue is still a suburb, so outside of the downtown core there is very little high rise. However, Emporis states that Bellevue has 24 buildings exceeding 200 feet, on par with Indy at 26 and Buffalo only has 15 exceeding 200 feet. I'll retract a little and water down the statement some rustbelt cities, but still not bad for suburb.

The view of Bellevue coming up I-405 north (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...cf5482ead00765) or from Lake Washington sort of incites a reaction of "that skyline is much bigger than what would be expected for a suburb of Seattle", by appearance it looks more striking than a city like Buffalo and I'd even venture to say Indy. All that said, underneath all that glass Bellevue is just a corporate suburb with good shopping, and the expected Ruth's Chris and PF Changs type restaurants.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-03-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 08:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Well Bellevue is stilla suburb so outside of the downtown core there is very little high rise. That said Emporis states Bellevue has 24 buildings exceeding 200 feet, on par with Indy at 26 and Buffalo only has 15 exceeding 200 feet. I'll retract a little and water down the statement some rustbelt cities, but still not bad for suburb.

The view of Bellevue coming up I-405 north (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...cf5482ead00765) or from Lake Washington sort of incites a reaction of "that skyline is much bigger than what would be expected for a suburb of Seattle", by appearance it looks more striking than a city like Buffalo and I'd even venture to say Indy. All that said, underneath all that glass Bellevue is just a corporate suburb with good shopping, and the expected Ruth's Chris type restaurants.
All very true. What's amazing about Belleview to me is that an 'any city' attractive suburb remade themselves into what they have. It's pretty damn impressive, and now a new rail line with underground stations is coming.

With buildings in the 45 story range and an increasingly urban form, Belleview's new Downtown is pretty unique for a suburb.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:31 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Austin

Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Well Bellevue is still a suburb, so outside of the downtown core there is very little high rise. However, Emporis states that Bellevue has 24 buildings exceeding 200 feet, on par with Indy at 26 and Buffalo only has 15 exceeding 200 feet. I'll retract a little and water down the statement some rustbelt cities, but still not bad for suburb.

The view of Bellevue coming up I-405 north (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...cf5482ead00765) or from Lake Washington sort of incites a reaction of "that skyline is much bigger than what would be expected for a suburb of Seattle", by appearance it looks more striking than a city like Buffalo and I'd even venture to say Indy. All that said, underneath all that glass Bellevue is just a corporate suburb with good shopping, and the expected Ruth's Chris and PF Changs type restaurants.
No, not bad at all for a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City