Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city? (alphabetical order)
Knoxville 6 9.38%
Louisville 23 35.94%
Nashville 36 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM

36 posts, read 60,131 times

Advertisements

mjlo: great stuff, thanks very much! I enjoy farmers markets and healthy outdoor stuff, and an appeal for me are the olmstead designed park system there. I prefer less hipster so that's a plus, but I like diversity too. How are outdoor activities there in Louisville?

Is there a large gay population throughout the city or just a tolerant vibe throughout the generalized population do you think? Like Austin, TX I wouldn't say is gay overall at all, but has an influence, especially in the downtown bar scene. Is the general atmosphere liberal or conservative in your opinion? I've heard there's a good cultural blend as well.

How long have you been there and where did you move from?

Thanks for your help, loving it!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Nashville is mostly transplants from all over the country now,its a really diverse city with a great economy. Nashville is losing a lot of its Southern Charm just like Atlanta has because it has transplants from all over now. I love Nashville I think its the best city of these three by far.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:39 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolus View Post
mjlo: great stuff, thanks very much! I enjoy farmers markets and healthy outdoor stuff, and an appeal for me are the olmstead designed park system there. I prefer less hipster so that's a plus, but I like diversity too. How are outdoor activities there in Louisville?

Is there a large gay population throughout the city or just a tolerant vibe throughout the generalized population do you think? Like Austin, TX I wouldn't say is gay overall at all, but has an influence, especially in the downtown bar scene. Is the general atmosphere liberal or conservative in your opinion? I've heard there's a good cultural blend as well.

How long have you been there and where did you move from?

Thanks for your help, loving it!
Outdoor activities are decent, I came from Grand Rapids Michigan 10 months ago, and I dont consider them to be quite as on par with GR, but still enough stuff to stay active if you're like me. (running, walking, biking) I love swimming but i've yet to find where to swim if not a pool, but swimming was never a problem in my former city(except the 4months of ice of course).

There is a large gay population in the city, and it is spread out. I wouldn't consider the city specifically gay like Austin. But the gay presence is definitely felt and accepted in my view. I feel Louisville is more moderate to liberal. When you look at the red/blue county maps Jefferson county tends to trend blue, with the suburban counties being more red (which I would expect).

The bar scene in general is pretty good, Louisville bars are open till 4am which was another surprise. The gay bars tend to be on the east side of downtown and then a bunch out in the trendy Highlands neighborhood. Which I consider to be Louisvilles hipster/gayborhood.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Knoxville, my personal fave out of the 3.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM

UKWildcat1981: many friends here in TX are interested in Nashville, good point. what do you think it's headed towards then?

mjlo: thanks for all the help, appreciate it much!

Kar54: any particular reasons for picking Knoxville?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
marcolus, out of the 3 choices, obviously Knoxville is the smallest. I like the "mid-sized" feel, it's history, and the geographical region being so close to the Smokies. I used to visit a client there on a regular basis and love the beauty of the mountains in the spring and fall. No offense to Nashville and Louisville as they have their own qualities, I just like the "feel" of Knox.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Knoxville has a decent downtown though. It would be better IMO if the density was a little higher so it felt like more people were down there.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolus View Post
My wife and I are going to be moving in 2015 and the short list is Nashville or Knoxville in TN or Louisville in KY. I have all the demographic and economic info one would need about all the cities. My question is more about quality of life, cost of living and housing, outdoor quality, etc. I love the no state income tax in TN and Knoxville has low property taxes.....and the smokies are right there so that has me loving it. Wife needs a great medical facility (Louisville has Frazier Rehab, which is best place in country for her job) but doesn't want the big city and is weary of Knoxville being to Deliverance style.

We are moving from San Antonio and looking for advice about the cities and recommendations of what each has to offer.

Please vote and then state why you voted for it. Thanks for the help!

"Deliverance style", oh you have Knoxville all wrong. You do know that movie was filmed in Georgia right?? You can get a T Shirt in Pigeon Forge however that says "paddle faster I hear banjo music". Knoxville is a normal mid sized southern city, one with some really great scenery nearby. Deliverance style, boy ive heard it all now

Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
PPA, it is interesting that you base your opinion on one windy day in downtown Knoxville. It was surprising to read of a downtown with 4 pedestrians present when 400 is not unusual. I can only speculate that the lunchtime crowd was sparse because workers are saving for a Valentine's day splurge. There are hundreds of downtown condos so the area is even well populated at night. Who do you think keeps all those restaurants and bars in business? Some restaurants on Market Square closed recently, not from lack of business but from the requirement of a $25000 grease trap.

You might ask your relatives to visit on a sunny Saturday in spring and report back to you.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
"Deliverance style", oh you have Knoxville all wrong. You do know that movie was filmed in Georgia right?? You can get a T Shirt in Pigeon Forge however that says "paddle faster I hear banjo music". Knoxville is a normal mid sized southern city, one with some really great scenery nearby. Deliverance style, boy ive heard it all now
I don't know where y'all are from but there are generalizations and misconceptions everywhere about every place. Living in Texas I see lots of visitors that are surprised that we don't all ride horses and wear cowboy hats and boots. Thinking that the Appalachian area is backwoods (which is all that was meant by referencing Deliverance - and btw Georgia was not the only filming location of that movie, and the northern Georgia area where it was shoot is in the Appalachians/Blue Ridge mountain chain) is not a stretch by any imagination to people not from there. So thank you for clearing that up and explaining it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City