Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 10:38 PM

448 posts, read 591,756 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find info on Albuquerque but cant....kinda curious about other cities like Tulsa,Omaha, Tucson, Vegas, Des Moines, Little Rock, Santa Fe, Louisville, Salt Lake, Nashville, Charlotte or El Paso? Anyone with updates on those cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:28 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Boston is really safe, even Roxbury and Dorchester are not even that bad. When I hear people say Boston is dangerous I just laugh lol
Yeah I been on the notorious Blue Hill Avenue and it didn't seem that bad. But then again I wasn't wearing my Yankees gear that day :x

Old 08-30-2015, 01:57 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I've been trying to find info on Albuquerque but cant....kinda curious about other cities like Tulsa,Omaha, Tucson, Vegas, Des Moines, Little Rock, Santa Fe, Louisville, Salt Lake, Nashville, Charlotte or El Paso? Anyone with updates on those cities?
From what I could find Albuquerque has had about 25 or so murders so far this year.

The Albuquerque Police Department uses a third-party website to keep citizens informed of all crimes committed in the city. The only problem is that the site seems to have a rolling window of about 5 or 6 months worth of data. I searched just now and the site only provides statistics going back to early March of this year. Our local newspaper, the Albuquerque Journal, has a similar function and rolling search window on its website. It gives information going back to February 28th of this year.

With these two sources, along with my own memory of murders in the city, I have been able to come up with a count of 23 or 25 murders so far in the city since the beginning of the year (January 1st).

The APD partner site which, as of today, shows 16 murders in the city since March 3rd, 2015:

Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!

The Albuquerque Journal site which, as of today, shows 19 murders in the city since February 28th, 2015:

Albuquerque Crime Map

Note that on the Journal site it shows two murders which occurred outside the city limits in an unincorporated area just to the southwest of the city known as the South Valley, which I didn't include in the number. Also note that one of those murders in the unincorporated county, and also one inside the city limits, are shown as "Justifiable Homicide" so I don't know if they should be counted as murders.

One glaring omission from the APD partner site is the murder of a man who confronted a group of teens who broke into his home and was subsequently shot to death in his driveway. This case occurred in June and has received lots of attention and press since then. All the teens suspected of taking part in the crime have been apprehended. It brought to light a phenomenon known as "mobbing" among delinquent teens in the city. This murder does show up in the Journal statistics, though.

In addition to these numbers are the six murders or unresolved deaths that I can remember happening in the first two months of the year outside those search windows above.

Here are articles from the Albuquerque Journal for those murders and one unresolved death:

Police: Man brought dead to the ER was shot in northeast Albuquerque | Albuquerque Journal News

Man shot in Walmart parking lot dies | Albuquerque Journal News

Weekend shooting tally: Four dead, five injured | Albuquerque Journal News

It is probable that the city will end up with about 30-35 murders when the year is done. This is fairly low for recent years, but is unfortunately up since the 28 murders that were recorded last year in the city. Those 28 murders last year were the lowest number in at least 25 years and probably lowest since Albuquerque has had more than 300,000 people, so since about 1970-1980.

Here is a Journal article from early January of this year which also lays out those statistics since 1990 in a bar graph. As you can see, the city had its highest-ever number of murders in 1996 with 70 murders occurring that year. In the 10 years before last year's low the total number has ranged from 34 to 56:

Homicides plunge in Albuquerque | Albuquerque Journal News

Also, here is City-Data's crime statistics for Albuquerque, from 2001-2013:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Mexico.html

And here is City-Data's crime statistics for Santa Fe covering the same period:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Mexico.html

As you can see, Santa Fe has ranged from a low of 2 murders a year in recent years to as high as 13 in 2010. I don't know the total last year, but I believe it was similarly low as the two years prior. This year I can only recall one murder in Santa Fe so far, so it may end up as low as recent years.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 PM

Very informative about albuquerque! I appreciate the response. And wow can't believe Santa Fe had 13 murders in 2010. That's crazy.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
I find it very interesting that the safest cities in the US both happen to be Mexico border cities across from extremely unsafe Mexican cities. My theory is that San Diego and El Paso have such low violent crime rates because all of the violence is pushed across the border to Tijuana and Juarez, respectively with the drug cartels and such.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meilmarc View Post
Houston was at 192 as of August 26, 2015.
Number he posted is from the official HPD crime spreadsheets, which are usually two to three months behind.
I have a number that is close to 190 but that's preliminary and includes all homicides - unfounded, justified, accidental & police involve.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 PM

Checking the Albuquerque news looks like Santa Fe just had a homicide, kinda ironic since I just brought it up last night.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I find it very interesting that the safest cities in the US both happen to be Mexico border cities across from extremely unsafe Mexican cities. My theory is that San Diego and El Paso have such low violent crime rates because all of the violence is pushed across the border to Tijuana and Juarez, respectively with the drug cartels and such.
Right!!!! You would think they would at least have a good amount of violence, or at least be high up there, but not the safest in all of the country. That's crazy.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Nashville has seen a spike in murders this year. 42 as of 8/31. This time last year, the number was 25. Last year's total was 41. 2013's total was 40. This year looks to be more in line with 2012, when we had 62.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Philadelphia: 171, which is a 3.6% increase from last year where the number was at 165.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City