Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather move to Houston or Portland?
Houston 139 40.17%
Portland 207 59.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM

42 posts, read 69,181 times

Advertisements

If you had to choose a place to move, and these were your only two choices in the nation, which would it be? If you'd like, you can comment in here as to why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:43 AM

138 posts, read 979,161 times
Portland has that bike ride every year, with all the NAKED chicks.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM

42 posts, read 69,181 times
ahaha, seriously? I didn't even know that, and I live here! Man, the things I miss out on every single day. I was riding the max home the other night, and it filled up with some of the strangest people ever -- going for a ride down Zoo hill at midnight (they call it zoobombing). It made me smile at just how awesome this city really is. There is something here that is just so hard to describe, that I have yet to find anywhere else. The only thing that ever makes me want to leave is the rain, but other than that, I love it here.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times
Avantgarden- You trying to make my deciding even harder?.......LOL

Choosing between these two cities has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. Seriously, BOTH offer positive attributes that you can't find in the other. If the choice was between Austin and Portland it would have been simple given the only major difference is the "weather."

Houston- has a very strong economy but a slightly higher unemployment rate than Portland. Cost of living in Houston is 18% BELOW the national average. Portland is 13.5% ABOVE the national average. Real city feel goes to Houston as well as city size, culture and ethnic mix.

Portland- Moderate cost of living but NOT cheap! Kind off midpoint, so you'll need more money to maintain a similar lifestyle. Don't mind the overcast and slight drizzle....would prefer that over humidity and heat. Excellent rail/bus,thriving social scene, politically active and strong liberal/tolerant climate. *This is important as you want to be part of a movement that promotes tolerance and is not invasive to your private space*

City of Portland has the density as opposed to the mass sprawl in Houston, though I'm not sure how "sprawled" the Inner Loop District is?

Portland appears to be more laid back and respects the less fortunate in society. Apparently it's a "homeless haven" IF you're in that situation or if you have a drug problem. The city is a big advocate for civil rights and has been dedicated to fighting "social ills" as opposed to targeting people. I respect that!

Portland's like 80% white and the rest being minorities. Houston is 50% white.
I think you'll find more people that are low income in Houston as it appears to be more stratified in comparison with Portland. But yes, both cities have their pro's and con's and I've learned a lot from the locals at both locations.

I think Portland would feel more like home if I can find that "rough edge city feel" as opposed to a small suburban layout like Seattle. Maybe I just need to find the "right neighborhood." My ONLY concern with Portland is the economy and the rapid increase of "local" homeless. That's telling me that either people don't want to work or that there is INTENSE competition and/or shortage of jobs.

In Houston I'll probably make very good income and have far more job security as there are so many places to work given the size of the "city"
Houston- has the resources that come with big city life, which I feel are extremely important. Unfortunately cost of living and job security are primary factors for me in choosing a city. Without a good job and being able to stretch the dollar you're not going to be able to do much considering everything requires money.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:51 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
"I think Portland would feel more like home if I can find that "rough edge city feel""

Read chuck palahniuk's guide to Portland. There are a ton of places that satisfy this fit- but they are bohemian in nature. In Houston they are ghetto.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks Jake!

I'll check it out. Can I get it at Border's? Glad someone can see my vision. Anyone remember Greenwhich Village in 1985?

How's the economy looking from your view? Hard to secure work or not?.
I'm in the financial and/or telecommunications sector. White collar work.

Of course, I can always take a job at a "Cafe" just don't think that would go far in bringing me financial security out there.....lol

Do you have a a lot of "poor" immigrants coming to Portland? I know Houston has quite a bit unless the data is off. Not like LA, NY or Chicago but still a good portion. Diversity definitely makes the city IMO.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:15 PM

56 posts, read 206,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Avantgarden- You trying to make my deciding even harder?.......LOL

Choosing between these two cities has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. Seriously, BOTH offer positive attributes that you can't find in the other. If the choice was between Austin and Portland it would have been simple given the only major difference is the "weather."

Houston- has a very strong economy but a slightly higher unemployment rate than Portland. Cost of living in Houston is 18% BELOW the national average. Portland is 13.5% ABOVE the national average. Real city feel goes to Houston as well as city size, culture and ethnic mix.

Portland- Moderate cost of living but NOT cheap! Kind off midpoint, so you'll need more money to maintain a similar lifestyle. Don't mind the overcast and slight drizzle....would prefer that over humidity and heat. Excellent rail/bus,thriving social scene, politically active and strong liberal/tolerant climate. *This is important as you want to be part of a movement that promotes tolerance and is not invasive to your private space*

City of Portland has the density as opposed to the mass sprawl in Houston, though I'm not sure how "sprawled" the Inner Loop District is?

Portland appears to be more laid back and respects the less fortunate in society. Apparently it's a "homeless haven" IF you're in that situation or if you have a drug problem. The city is a big advocate for civil rights and has been dedicated to fighting "social ills" as opposed to targeting people. I respect that!

Portland's like 80% white and the rest being minorities. Houston is 50% white.
I think you'll find more people that are low income in Houston as it appears to be more stratified in comparison with Portland. But yes, both cities have their pro's and con's and I've learned a lot from the locals at both locations.

I think Portland would feel more like home if I can find that "rough edge city feel" as opposed to a small suburban layout like Seattle. Maybe I just need to find the "right neighborhood." My ONLY concern with Portland is the economy and the rapid increase of "local" homeless. That's telling me that either people don't want to work or that there is INTENSE competition and/or shortage of jobs.

In Houston I'll probably make very good income and have far more job security as there are so many places to work given the size of the "city"
Houston- has the resources that come with big city life, which I feel are extremely important. Unfortunately cost of living and job security are primary factors for me in choosing a city. Without a good job and being able to stretch the dollar you're not going to be able to do much considering everything requires money.
I agree with you, I like both cities alot and both are among my top 10 larger citiesI would want to live and work in when I graduate from college

Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times
Portland and Houston are most likely the most dissimilar Cities in the United States. Portand is green, hilly, and White and Asian. Houston is flat, mostly treeless and Hispanic and Black. Portand seems more Midwestern in feel and Houston is more southern.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM

So how would Portland compare to Philadelphia or Chicago with regard to "Midwestern feel?"

Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Portland and Houston are most likely the most dissimilar Cities in the United States. Portand is green, hilly, and White and Asian. Houston is flat, mostly treeless and Hispanic and Black. Portand seems more Midwestern in feel and Houston is more southern.
Please tell me you're joking. Houston is one of the greenest big cities in the U.S. It's practically built under a forest. Where are you getting these facts????? Houston is way more racially diverse than Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City