Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:51 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Theirs a lot errors in this.... I address them below
There are a lot of errors in your sentence above. The proper wording is in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It's not cherry picking it just pointless, it's splitting hairs.

Georgia was a larger and a more populated state and addition to having more blacks, the more populous or larger percentage of blacks equal to the equation of more discrimation and more turmoil not because one state was super more progressive then the more.
Georgia had more lynchings than Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina combined. The explanation for why that was the case can't simply be "Georgia had more people" because three states that together exceed it in both total and Black population don't even come close to equaling its total number of lynchings.

Let me know when you've run out of excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Of course it's still southern, but I'd also call Georgia an East Coast state. Just like South Carolina, obviously very southern but also East Coast.

What does it mean to be "East Coast"? What makes a place feel "East Coast"? Am curious.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:10 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Why do you say that ? There is more money in the SEC.
It would be suited to the ACC than SEC. GState has small, urban campus in the middle of the city. They don't have the space for the facilities and student population to compete with in the SEC. Plus, they have a heavier focus on basketball than football like the ACC.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
And are really debating which Southern states sucked worse for black folks in the early 20th century? It was all of them, just slight variations of bad or worse.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are a lot of errors in your sentence above. The proper wording is in bold.

Georgia had more lynchings than Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina combined. The explanation for why that was the case can't simply be "Georgia had more people" because three states that together exceed it in both total and Black population don't even come close to equaling its total number of lynchings.

First off how do you figure IF it were true that this is relevant when as stated earlier Alabama and GA have completely different histories concerning the Civil rights.Not one history book mentions GA in the way it does about Alabama and Mississppi.From Medgar Evans.Bull oconnor,George Wallace to Rosa Parks.

The Only thig GA is known for during that time is Martin Luthe King was born and raised there.
In fact the other thing is hat he LEFT Ga to live in Alabama because it was so bad.

YET you persist in your notion that because LYNCHINGS were much more in GA than NC (ignoring that no where near as many blacks even lived in NC)it somehow shares more in common with Alabama.

Even though today Alabama is about is the poorest state in the U.S. and the incomes of GA and NC are very comparable you persist that this is the MAIN reason YOU feel this way.

Surprising because I saw one of your old post mentioning South Carolna and lynchings but in the same sentence admit it had more blacks so the numbers were skewd!!

I wish I would have saved it. I thought you had left it alone but I see YOU dont even believe what you say

Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
And are really debating which Southern states sucked worse for black folks in the early 20th century? It was all of them, just slight variations of bad or worse.
Exactly, but yet some still have this notion that GA was sooo much better for black people during the Jim Crow era...lol.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:45 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
First off how do you figure IF it were true that this is relevant when as stated earlier Alabama and GA have completely different histories concerning the Civil rights.Not one history book mentions GA in the way it does about Alabama and Mississppi.From Medgar Evans.Bull oconnor,George Wallace to Rosa Parks.
I guess you're right. Georgia is really more comparable to South Carolina...only with 3 times as many lynchings.

Quote:
Even though today Alabama is about is the poorest state in the U.S. and the incomes of GA and NC are very comparable you persist that this is the MAIN reason YOU feel this way.
I never said that was the MAIN reason I felt that way. I also said that Alabama and Georgia were more similar politically. Non-Hispanic White voters in Georgia showed less support for Obama than their peers in South Carolina. If you think Georgia is anything but a hard core politically conservative state, then you must think South Carolina by comparison is like Vermont.

Quote:
Surprising because I saw one of your old post mentioning South Carolna and lynchings but in the same sentence admit it had more blacks so the numbers were skewd!!
More Blacks compared to what?

Georgia had more lynchings than three states combined. There's nothing "skewd" about those numbers. There's no real explanation for that other than a cultural difference. The cotton plantation culture of the Deep South produced a sort of feisty, resistant political attitude that exists to this day. I don't think it's much of a coincidence that the Tobacco South, which relied on smaller plantations with more skilled labor, had more non-Hispanic White support for Obama than the old Cotton South, which by far registered the least support among the 50 states.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
I guess you're right. Georgia is really more comparable to South Carolina...only with 3 times as many lynchings.

I never said that was the MAIN reason I felt that way. I also said that Alabama and Georgia were more similar politically. Non-Hispanic White voters in Georgia showed less support for Obama than their peers in South Carolina. If you think Georgia is anything but a hard core politically conservative state, then you must think South Carolina by comparison is like Vermont.

More Blacks compared to what?

Georgia had more lynchings than three states combined. There's nothing "skewd" about those numbers. There's no real explanation for that other than a cultural difference. The cotton plantation culture of the Deep South produced a sort of feisty, resistant political attitude that exists to this day. I don't think it's much of a coincidence that the Tobacco South, which relied on smaller plantations with more skilled labor, had more non-Hispanic White support for Obama than the old Cotton South, which by far registered the least support among the 50 states.
Im gonna just leave you alone because we just don't agree.If GA had a greater number of blacks it stands to reason more of those incidents would be higher.

A few states historically have had much hire black populations Georgia,Texas,and Mississippi.Even Alabama had much less of a black population than those states.

Plantations mean you need slaves.More slaves than just farming tobacco which is what NC and Virginia produced.
The "culture" of lynching as you called it would extend to how to Texas and Mississippi would develep different also.
Where is the heavy black influence in Texas it once had?Why is MS worse off than even Alabama?
You are grasping at straws.

Even if your arguments are accepted as relevant how is that in spite of how things ar currently??
You wish to do this by taking Atlanta out of the equation but Atlanta is not just one city but a region that influences much of the state.

You ignore that even though Alabama has never elected as many state level and judicial or in some case never but you focus squarely on one part of the white republicans.
Even still if more whites voted for Obama as they did in Alabama but yet the spread was closer to how NC voted,then how in the hell do you ignore the black,white and minority population that did vote for Obama?

Not to mention Alabama current government from the Judicial system to Governor.All Southern states are similar but I sorry you are just not aware of what people who actually have lived here(especially other than Atlanta)with its military bases and textile dominance ,college towns like Statesboro and Athens to its proximity to the Atlantic,those similaries alone are much more than what you claim even if we accept your reasons and I emphatically DO NOT!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What does it mean to be "East Coast"? What makes a place feel "East Coast"? Am curious.
East Coast USA also known as Atlantic Coast, Atlantic Seaboard, or Eastern Seaboard. Is Florida or Georgia etc East Coast?

Some poster named Spicymeatball made me laugh out loud literally with their comment.

Anyway, my views have always been like post #14 in that thread: East Coast is made up of Northeast (New England, NY, NJ, and PA), Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast (Southern states on the Atlantic).

Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:

I will when you let me know when you have a point, Also that's not what I said..

GA was 2,216,331 in 1900 and 2,895,832 in 1920 with 46.7% black
MS was 1,551,270 in 1900 and 1,797,114 in 1920 with 58.5% black
AL was 1,828,697 in 1900 and 2,138,093 in 1920 with 45.2% black

NC was 1,893,810 in 1900 and 2,206,287 in 1920 with 33.0% black
VA was 1,854,184 in 1900 and 1,854,184 in 1920 with 35.6% black

If racism was cause by irrational hate and fear Jim crow laws where meant to disfranchise blacks.. States with a closer balance or ratio of white and black where more hostile. that's logic... More racist actions was done to disfranchise blacks in states where blacks had natural more political clout. NC and VA weren't more tolerable they was slave and Jim crow states. They was less hostile because blacks already had less political power.

Then add the factors some states where more populous.

NC blacks being less than half of NC whites, is much different than GA blacks was once half the state. That would make tension in GA more hostile. Then add not only that but Georgia was 20% larger anyways.

NC 600k blacks, in 1900.... vs 1.2 million whites
GA 1.1 mil blacks in 1900.... vs 1.2 million whites.

But again this is pointless NC is closer to MS cultural than Massachusetts. It's closer to GA then both.

Last edited by chiatldal; 03-31-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City