Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10039449 View Post
Georgia without Atlanta is Alabama but you can't blame them just look at the states it is surrounded by. North Carolina is closer to Virginia. The biggest difference between Georgia and North Carolina is Education along with population distribution.

North Carolina has more people with Bachelor's degrees or higher than Georgia. North Carolina also attracts more college graduates. While Georgia is said to be attracted less educated people. North Carolina has Duke, Davidson, Wake Forest, and Chapel Hill. Georgia does have Emory, Georgia Tech, and UGA. All are great schools but the most Liberal ones are by far North Carolina. This is the reason why Obama won it in 2008.

Next is how population is divided. Georgia is only Atlanta like Illinois is Chicago, Nevada is Las Vegas, and Colorado is Denver. Without Atlanta Georgia is pretty much country. North Carolina has 3 metros pushing 1 million (Metrolina, Triangle, and Triad) along with 2 metros pushing more than 1/2 million (Asheville and Fayetteville). All of the areas are attracting transplant and growing moderately fast. Everybody in Georgia just want to live in Atlanta.
Actually Georgia with out ATL would still make the 26th largest state by population so that's a bad comparison is nothing like Illinois, Nevada or Colorado.

With saying that ATL is more populated then AL and MS how are yall taking a larger population than AL from Georgia to compare the rest of the state to AL? Again taking ATL 5.5 mil away from GA 10 million to compare with AL 4.8...

But ATL CSA includes Athens, it dominates GA piedmont, ATL CSA alone is like 80% the area of Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro CSA areas combined. This area of NC is called the Piedmont Crescent. Taking ATL CSA away from Georgia is almost basically nearly talking the whole Piedmont Crescent away from NC.

Yes NC is more multi popular with cities but they are in such proximity to each other, The sq mi of ATL CSA would cover most of Charlotte to Raleigh. So it reasonable to say Georgia with out ATL is like saying NC with Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro base on sq mi, proximity and population?

The overview NC major population centers in on the piedmont, Similar to How GA's main population center is on the Piedmont.

----------------

Going to try this again............. Western NC and North GA have connected history.

NC Gold Rush
Charlotte Mint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carolina Gold Rush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GA Gold Rush
Dahlonega Mint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Georgia Gold Rush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Georgia

http://absoluteclimatecontrol.com/wp.../dahlonega.jpg

West NC

NC and GA are both southern colonial states.

Wilmington nc

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4066/4...d097e148_b.jpg

Savannah GA

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/...7fe6bedf_c.jpg

Again there main population centers are on the piedmont

Charlotte

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/i..._skyline_2.jpg

Atlanta

http://f.tqn.com/y/atlanta/1/T/o/8/-/-/527578007.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 05:23 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
No question, NC. This poll is whack. People on this site don't know anything about anything.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Well Tennessee is probably more similar to Kentucky and North Carolina over any other state, so I don't know why we're bringing Tennessee up.

Georgia had more lynchings, but it didn't really have the horrific events during the Civil Rights Movement like Alabama.
Thanks for helping me prove my point.Tennessee was asked to come to court to help testify. Memphis shares civil Rights history with Birmingham and is said to be an Offspring of Mississippi which is compared to Alabama 70% of the time.Even with all of that charecteristicly and over all feel Ga still is more comparable to Alabama.Ga has Atlanata which would lean it toward North Carolina but Atlanta is only a section of Georgia.

And I would rather deal with the Civil Rights era rather than the much more expansive era of lynchings eapecially when the ratio is greater than 3 states that equal in black population.

Also another point I would like to make is that do you guys really believe that if Atlanta was never erected in Georgia do you really believe that Georgia would still have 5 million residents or more ?

I don't ! I have only met a good number of Atlantians who agree with me on this but those whoblive in other cities such as Macin don't. My belief is that when people think of Atlanta they think of Georgia and Atlanta is the face of Georgia.Yes Savannah is popular and is a tourist meca but it is not the face of Ga and is not the first city to come to mind. Other areas of Ga are growing because of Atlanta ,that's my belief.If Atlanta would have had the same sucess in Mississippi that state probably would be around 10 million.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Georgia had more lynchings, but it didn't really have the horrific events during the Civil Rights Movement like Alabama. For example, the Freedom Rides of 1961 actually didn't run into major trouble or violence in Georgia, complete opposite for Alabama. However, Mississippi was truly the worst state.
From the perspective of a Black person, the KKK riding to your home in the middle of the night and hanging you from a tree is a very horrific event. Focusing on a few sensational events (e.g., the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing) doesn't capture the full spectrum of violence directed towards Blacks in the South. I mean, can you really say that attacking a bus full of Freedom Riders is "worse" than disemboweling a Black man from his testicles up and then lighting him on fire in front of a whole town (women, children and all)? I don't think so. If we're going to gauge how hostile an environment a place was for African Americans, then lynchings is a key metric. That's why papers like the Chicago Defender and the Pittsburgh Post Gazette spent so much time covering lynchings; the mainstream American media simply didn't care.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
More and more people are starting to refer Raleigh as "more East Coast than southern" which deals with all the transplants in the Research Triangle, mainly from areas north of North Carolina along the East Coast (NY, NJ, PA, MD, etc). Same story with South Florida, people won't call it southern but they'll call it "East Coast." In this case, I believe it means "Northeast like" although the Raleigh area is certainly still southern.
I've never heard anyone refer to Raleigh as the East Coast. And I'm talking about news outlets and the like, not some random person you overheard in conversation. "East Coast," which colloquially has a different meaning from "Eastern Seaboard," almost always refers to the BosWash corridor. So when someone says they were "educated on the East Coast," they are usually talking about a school like Bryn Mawr, Sarah Lawrence, or Holy Cross, not Davidson, UNC or Wake Forest.

North Carolina is only the "East Coast" in the broadest sense of the word, meaning it's located on the Eastern/Atlantic Coast of the United States. The "East Coast" could conceivably reach as far South as Norfolk since it is tied into its northern neighbors in many ways.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
No question, NC. This poll is whack. People on this site don't know anything about anything.

70% of those Alabama votes were done by "created accounts" so don't pay too much attention to that.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM

From Wiki.

Quote:
Though often used in history books to refer to the seven states that originally formed the Confederacy, the term "Deep South" did not come into general usage until long after the Civil War ended. Up until that time, "Lower South" was the primary designation for those states. When "Deep South" first began to gain mainstream currency in print in the middle of the 20th century, it applied to the states and areas of Mississippi, north Louisiana, southern Alabama and Georgia, and northern Florida. This was the part of the South many considered the "most Southern".
Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coincidentally, these were also the places that provided the least support for Obama.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
From the perspective of a Black person, the KKK riding to your home in the middle of the night and hanging you from a tree is a very horrific event. Focusing on a few sensational events (e.g., the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing) doesn't capture the full spectrum of violence directed towards Blacks in the South. I mean, can you really say that attacking a bus full of Freedom Riders is "worse" than disemboweling a Black man from his testicles up and then lighting him on fire in front of a whole town (women, children and all)? I don't think so. If we're going to gauge how hostile an environment a place was for African Americans, then lynchings is a key metric. That's why papers like the Chicago Defender and the Pittsburgh Post Gazette spent so much time covering lynchings; the mainstream American media simply didn't care.
Lynchings happened in NY as well...Can't we put the past behind us, apparently you cannot....

Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 AM

183 posts, read 249,393 times
A stat count on the amount of lynchings and other atrocities committed against blacks are inaccurate methods to determine the general attitude within any particular state. The number of atrocities reported are likely seriously under-counted/under-reported for all the states involved.

I think a better measure of the attitude towards blacks would be to look at the Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws enacted within each state after the emancipation. These laws come from a legislative level.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Lynchings happened in NY as well...Can't we put the past behind us, apparently you cannot....
That's a logically sound argument. There are also millionaires living in Arkansas. Does that not make it the same as California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City