Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:31 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The non-Hispanic White vote is just part of the equation, you can't ignore the fact GA is more diverse then SC and AL. Your ignoring the minority population like the minorities population doesn't matter. Regardless of the non Hispanic white being largely republican the state still turn out moderate. The word of the day is call "diversity"
You think Georgia is moderate? If Georgia is moderate, then is South Carolina also moderate? The difference in Obama support between the two states during the last election was only 1.39 percentage points. In fact, the spread between Mississippi and Georgia (4 percentage points) was smaller than the spread between North Carolina and Georgia (6 percentage points).

You can reach all types of silly conclusions by looking at elementary data. If you want to evaluate how conservative, moderate or liberal a state is, then it's best to look at public opinion surveys on the issues. That way you can judge the political leanings of the electorate as a whole.

That said, Georgia is a conservative state. It's not close to being a moderate state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 02:40 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Altitude View Post
Georgia = Alabama

/thread
California > UK

/thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You think Georgia is moderate? If Georgia is moderate, then is South Carolina also moderate? The difference in Obama support between the two states during the last election was only 1.39 percentage points. In fact, the spread between Mississippi and Georgia (4 percentage points) was smaller than the spread between North Carolina and Georgia (6 percentage points).

You can reach all types of silly conclusions by looking at elementary data. If you want to evaluate how conservative, moderate or liberal a state is, then it's best to look at public opinion surveys on the issues. That way you can judge the political leanings of the electorate as a whole.

That said, Georgia is a conservative state. It's not close to being a moderate state.
Yeah your out of reality.........

NC 2008...... Dem 49.70%, GOP 49.38%
NC 2012........GOP 50.39% Dem 48.35%

GA 2008........ GOP 52.10% Dem 46.90%
GA, 2012......... GOP 53.30%, Dem 45.48%

AL 2012..... GOP 60.55% Dem 38.36%
Al 2008 ...... GOP 60.32%, Dem 38.74%

The different between NC and GA overall Obama support was less then 3% both years..

The Different between GA and AL is 6% and 8%.

GA is closer to NC politically than AL.

The GOP support in presidential election is less 55%, that is moderate.

This is reality GA is center right, and projected to be a swing state due to demographic changes.

-------------------

But instead of talking about whole population your just talking about just the Hispanic white vote as if Minorities vote don't count. The different between GA and AL is the minority population is not only already larger but growing to offset the non Hispanic whites who vote republican. This is not happening in AL.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But your post ignore reality Most of Georgia IS Atlanta by population.

So your post reads with out most of Georgia population would GA wouldn't be like NC but AL .. what

Also the rest of Georgia is not a ATL suburb they grow on them on.

And Also Again you making a broad brush I would say Rome, Columbus, and Albany are more like AL. But your saying cities like Savannah, Augusta, Brunswick are more like AL even though they are on the opposite side of the state, Border the Carolinas and were colonial found cities. They have more in common with the small mid and historic cities in The Carolinas.

but can't make this clearer

Atlanta CSA 6,162,195

Charlotte CSA 2,493,040
Greensboro CSA 1,619,313
Raleigh CSA 2,037,430
Total Piedmont Crescent 6,149,783

Most GA is in ATL but most NC is in Piedmont Crescent......... While NC have more major cities the population is not distribute though out the state.

- Both Colonial states

- Both states Mountain areas were home to first and second gold rush. In fact NC and GA border here

- Both states population, diversity. growth is their Piedmont area.

- outside of the Piedmont both have small midsize metros,
I'm adding this now.........

Posters are acting like NC is just Blue everywhere or have cities everywhere, When both major focal point of population is their Piedmont with over 6 million both respectively. Outside of their Piedmont regions the states behave similar also. They both have a few mid size cities, most rural areas in both states are red with exception the their black belt counties.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_2012.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_2012.svg.png

It appears the outside NC Piedmont Crescent behaves just like GA outside of Atlanta,

In GA a few Metro ATL counties went blue, alone with the black belt counties........

IN NC a few Piedmont Crescent went blue, alone with the black belt counties........

The black belt counties, The blue counties in Eastern NC and Central GA match perfectly.

Black Belt (U.S. region) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_counties.png

Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,428 times
Interesting info:

Daily Kos: Examining the White Vote pt. 1, North Carolina

US Election Atlas: Same-sex marriage map by county/state

Fascinating article/map on southern whites

Did Obama receive >25% of white vote in any Mississippi or Alabama counties?

Looks like parts of South Georgia mirror Mississippi even more than Alabama!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Why is that some people consider lynchings and civil rights to be independent things? Lynchings were the impetus of many civil rights bills. The Civil Rights Movement wasn't limited to three or four events in the 1960s.

Lynching in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't miss the forest for the tree.
Ever hear the term"the last straw"?.You get what I mean
I never said such a thing but you are trying to tie ONE thing that has no bearing on things today or in the last 50 years.
Then you have ignored several arguments why you are wrong.When that fails you go back to" outside Atlanta Georgia is the same" but it impossible to take out so much of the state.

Atlanta is a region where many of these cities grew independently and as the metro grew it consumed it.
If you look at the ,maps of Atlanta MSA, many of the counties in the metro are republican.

You cant ignore that Atlanta being as progressive as it is compared to the other cities historically is apart of the fabric of GA.That influence compounded with the fact that there are so many more foreign born residents and out of state residents due to military cannot be ignored as it if its in sequential to this topic.

I can tell you from someone who has been and lived all over the South because my father was offered a job in Tuscaloosa at Tuskeegee the conditions in which we saw compared to Warner Robins where I grew up was like stepping back in time.
My dad declined the job.

I remeber visiting him when he was on reserve duty with my mom as a teenager at Ft.McClelan.
The area around it just looked depressing.

I have been to Mobile Al about 3 years ago and it was so depressing how much poverty was there and he roads were just bad.
It just looked worn down.

I went to Aususta GA and they have just built the first multi tiered interchange outside of Atlanta.Augusta like ALL cities in the South has hre poverty rates also but the actual infrastructure is night and day.The downtown while somewhat dead has been redevelop and still undergoing changes to attract business and people downtown looks like it has possibility as a vibrant citiy people would WANT to live in the future.

Quote:
Columbus has done wonders with itsdowntown by expanding some of its art programs and dorms in its former ugly downtown,Now it has students in cafes' and resturants hanging out and walking the streets on with public art and wide sidewalks that have nice landscaping on the river.

Columbus, GA Whitewater. The 2.5-mile stretch of the Chattahoochee River is located in the heart of Uptown Columbus and was named one of the Top 12 Man-Made Adventures in the World by USA Today
Top empoyees in Columbus:
1 Fort Benning 41,462
2 Muscogee County School District 6,200
3 TSYS 4,300
4 Aflac 4,100
5 Columbus-Muscogee County Consolidated Government 2,933
6 Columbus Regional Healthcare System 2,700
7 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia 1,540
8 Pezold Management 1,500
9 St. Francis Hospital 1,470
10 Synovus 1,021

Top Employees in Mobile
1 Mobile County Public School System 7,795 4.58%
2 Infirmary Health Systems 5,460 3.21%
3 University of South Alabama 5,300 3.12%
4 Walmart 2,920 1.72%
5 Austal USA 3,000 1.47%
6 Providence Hospital 2,350 1.38%
7 City of Mobile 2,100 1.23%
8 ST Aerospace Mobile 1,500 0.88%
9 County of Mobile 1,460 0.86%
10 Springhill Medical Center 1,320 0.78%

Top Employers in Augusta
1 Fort Gordon 19,884
2 Georgia Regents University 4,656
3 Richmond County School System 4,418
4 University Hospital 3,200
5 Georgia Regents Health System 3,054
6 Augusta-Richmond County 4,418
7 Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center 2,082
8 East Central Regional Hospital 1,488
9 Doctors Hospital 1,210

Montgomery AL Montgomery's largest employers were
Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base (12,280 employees),
the State of Alabama (9,500),
Montgomery Public Schools (4,524),
Baptist Health (4,300),
Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (3,000),
Alfa Insurance (2,568)
The City of Montgomery (2,500),
Jackson Hospital & Clinic (1,300),
Rheem Water Heaters (1,147),
Regions (977).[56]

Savannah largest employer are from Tourism with over 13million visitors,Gulfstream,Savannah State Univesity,Armstrong Atlantic University ,and Georgia Ports Authority.(not in order)

Warner Robins,Dalton,Athens are smaller cities with big employers from Air Force base of more than 25,000 people,the flooring and textile industry and the largest university in the state.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
The ANES seeks to gauge political ideology, so yes, it is better. I can call myself a "conservative" but yet be supportive of same sex marriage, gun control laws, affirmative action, etc. A label doesn't mean anything since "conservatives" and "liberals" don't share the same ideology across states.
So even though it been shown that GA has more transplants than any state in the SE sans Florida and VA you think they are all Dems and black?

I would think a conservative moving from mostly Northeren liberal states would move away from the city even after moving in the South.
I know this is true with all the transplants in some of the mountain communities of GA who are retired.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
The ANES seeks to gauge political ideology, so yes, it is better. I can call myself a "conservative" but yet be supportive of same sex marriage, gun control laws, affirmative action, etc. A label doesn't mean anything since "conservatives" and "liberals" don't share the same ideology across states.
Actually most Americans are moderates who lean slightly more conservative, but people self-report wrong all the time. That's the problem, you ask them in a poll and they will exaggerate one way or another but if you ask them multiple questions about their opinions on specific issues, you'll find they are more in the middle than super polarized.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Both states were pivotal during the Civil Rights history. Many of the big events happened in AL, but much of the strategizing and laying of the groundwork happened in GA.

I was specifically talking about Atlanta and Birmingham. Very similar histories (pre-Civil Rights era) in similar geographic locations, and of course they were peer cities up until around 1950 or so.
Yes but all cities in the South have the similar histories including those in NC.The difference is solely that NC and GA had no major riots.No actually thats wrong.Durham lunch counter protest at Walgreens.

I may be wrong but other than the strategizing there were no major events during this period in GA.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You're not following me.

Yes, Atlanta is big. But if the state continues to vote Red, and the non-Hispanic White vote continues to be more Republican than it is in SC (a conservative state), then that can only mean that the vote elsewhere is WAY skewed to the right.

It's no different from the African American vote in most states. Obama lost the White vote in many of the states he won, but it didn't matter since the White vote splits 47-53 or 40-60. He can compensate for the difference by banking 97 or 98 out of every 100 Black voters. In Georgia, it's similar, but reversed. The White vote in metro Atlanta is likely more split, but the white vote in the rest of the state is so overwhelmingly Republican that it cancels everything else out.

The White vote matters because: (1) Whites still make up the largest portion of the electorate; (2) Whites are far more likely to be Republican; (3) Republicans in Georgia are more conservative than they are in most states and (4) Republicans are more likely to win statewide office in Georgia. When Republicans win in Georgia, it's not quite the same as when Republicans win in New Jersey or Massachusetts.
Blacks outvoted whites in GA.One of the few states where that happened BUT the turnout of ALL was half of what it was in NC and less than even AL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City