Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,738 times

Advertisements

I think AL & GA are similar outside of Atlanta. I'll just say this, if you drove on a highway from Alabama and it didn't have a single sign, you wouldn't know you was in Georgia until you hit the Atlanta metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 05:17 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
I'd definitely say South Carolina is the state most similar to Georgia, though. Then, Alabama or North Carolina, although the polls are definitely on the Alabama side. Maybe North Carolina is third, I guess.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But that meaninglessly when adding 9k sq mi to NC at any point wont to give you 9 million, it's will be less than 2 million if Norfolk added, any where else it's probably less than million. Which actually would work against your point and make mines more.
Of course an extra 9K square miles wouldn't give NC 9 million more people, but that just shows the potential population difference of an extra 9K square miles. This is why I see a difference in the set-up of the PC in NC and Atlanta in GA, and again, this is also due to how they are oriented in each state. If Atlanta was closer to where Macon is, then it would be an almost identical set-up. Of course it's more similar to NC's set-up than AL's, but I just think it's a bit more different than you make it out to be.

Quote:
Also urban/suburban divide in GA is different AL. Atlanta is over 4x larger than Birmingham and make 60% of the state. Birmingham is a little than 25% of AL. AL should be more politically balance. Which highlights the political cultural is generally different. Again I never said NC and GA are twins but they do have a lot similarity relatively being South Atlantic states.
I was just saying that the urban/suburban divide is of a similar nature in GA's largest city and AL's largest city and that you don't really see that in NC's largest cities.

In a lot of ways, GA is something of a hybrid between NC and AL. I can see an argument made for both, but I think some arguments go just a tad bit too far either way.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'd definitely say South Carolina is the state most similar to Georgia, though. Then, Alabama or North Carolina, although the polls are definitely on the Alabama side. Maybe North Carolina is third, I guess.
This poll is so rigged but I agree with you that SC and NC are more so than AL

Old 04-04-2015, 10:52 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
If you bring in Mississippi and tie it up with Alabama, than I would say Georgia is way more similar to South Carolina and North Carolina over those two together. It could really go either way for Alabama and North Carolina, although I'd probably pick North Carolina by a hair.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Which areas of Raleigh do you find similar to Decatur? More specifically, which areas seem more similar than Homewood AL?

Homewood is essentially Birmingham's version of Decatur, even closer to downtown than Decatur is.

I know very little about Homewood so I cant say you are wrong or right and my time in Raleigh was short so im not familiar enough to name all the areas but when I was driving around(gettting lost)it was just what I thought about in some areas,

Augusta reminds Winston Salem
Cape Hatteras,NC-St.Marys,GA
Wilmington-Savannah/Brunswick
Fayetteville,NC-Columbus GA

Old 04-05-2015, 05:08 AM

Another thing that is different about GA than AL is attractions to the state outside of Atlanta.
When was the last time a group of world leaders convened at one of the best hotel resorts in North America?

G8 Summit in Georgia | New Georgia Encyclopedia
That was on Sea Island in 2004 at The Cloister.

Alabama have any sporting event that is internationally televised like Masters?

PGA Better With Tiger Than Without - The Sports Column | Sports Articles, Analysis, News and Media

Since the 1920's people like Henry Ford,Thomas Carnegie,William Rockefeller,William Astor,JP morgan,Marshall Fields,and many more have called GA home for vacation.

Jekyll Island is actually where the Federal Reserve Bank was create by the wealthy men.

I
Quote:
t all started with a little-known, but extraordinary man named Newton Finney,who served briefly on Robert E. Lee’s staff as captain of engineers during the Civil War. Newton Finney and his brother-in-law, John Eugene DuBignon, were the early developers whose plan for a hunting club for wealthy northerners hatched into the most exclusive social club in the United States. Between 1879 and 1885, the two men worked on acquiring ownership of this Georgia historic landmark and convincing investors of the merits of the idea. Finney lived in New York and, having connections to members of such institutions as the Union Club, the so-called “mother of clubs,†he carefully built the membership and early foundations for the Club. After Dubignon, the lone original member from the south, purchased the island, he in turn sold it to the newly incorporated Jekyll Island Club and its original 53 members/investors, among whom were Marshall Field, Henry Hyde, J.P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer and William K. Vanderbilt.
Henry Ford owned a "Plantation" on several hundred acres in Richmond Hill.

Wedding | The Ford Plantation Properties

GA was a poor rural state with great natural beauty and all across South GA there were several communities like Thomasville where the rich built there massive vacation homes.

North Carolina has a some of that too.Im not aware if AL did.

GA and NC have are home to more cities where black busineses are thriving.AL has one in the top 20,GA3 and NC 3

1. Columbus, Georgia, metro area
Located on the border of Georgia and Alabama, Columbus is a hub for the aerospace industry, automotive manufacturing, defense, technology and tourism. Additionally, the city’s Uptown district is a center for locally owned restaurants, boutiques and salons. Over a third of businesses in Columbus are black-owned, including the historic Sconiers Funeral Home and Citizens Trust Bank. New business owners can take advantage of resources at the Greater Columbus Georgia Chamber of Commerce.
Looks like Atlanta is not the only city in Georgia when it come to black owned business.

2. Montgomery, Alabama, metro area
Montgomery’s black population is growing faster than any other city on NerdWallet’s list, and nearly a third of businesses here are owned by black entrepreneurs. The city is in the middle of organizing its first Black Chamber of Commerce. Existing resources for small businesses include the Alabama State Black Chamber of Commerce and the Montgomery Chamber of Commerce’s Minority Business Development Advisory Task Force.

3. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Georgia, metro area
Atlanta has a relatively affordable cost of living and a strong business environment, and Georgia has the nation’s third-largest black consumer market, worth over $73 billion. To help local companies thrive, the Atlanta Metropolitan Black Chamber of Commerce hosts monthly events and mentoring programs, and Atlanta’s Minority Business Development Agency provides resources, too. Notable businesses include B&S Electric Supply Co. and Engineering Design Technologies.

4. Memphis, Tennessee, metro area
With a large percentage of black-owned businesses, an affordable cost of living and a rich culture, Memphis is a solid place for businesses to blossom. In addition to music, film and TV, Memphis excels in bioscience, green industry and manufacturing. The Black Business Association of Memphis offers one-on-one counseling, training sessions and networking events. In addition, the Greater Memphis Chamber has a Small Business Council that provides similar resources for entrepreneurs.

5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, Virginia, metro area
The nation’s capital offers a growing technology industry, an educated population and a dynamic mix of public and private sectors. Ben’s Chili Bowl, known for its famous customers including President Barack Obama, has been a celebrated black-owned business in the capital since 1958. Other entrepreneurs looking to get off the ground can take advantage of resources at the National Black Chamber of Commerce, the Northern Virginia Black Chamber of Commerce and BizLaunch, an Arlington Economic Development entrepreneurship program.

6. Fayetteville, North Carolina, metro area
Small-town charm, a growing black population and an affordable cost of living make Fayetteville a good fit for business owners. Located along Interstate 95 between Charlotte and Raleigh, Fayetteville is near Fort Bragg and Pope Field, which fuel the city’s retail economy. The recently revitalized downtown attracts dozens of restaurants, shops, services and entertainment venues for the area’s 350,000 residents. To promote even stronger business growth, the city’s Community Development Department offers grant and loan programs to help small businesses get off the ground.

7. Durham, North Carolina, metro area
Just 25 miles northwest of Raleigh, the Durham metro area is largely defined by the Research Triangle Park, which includes Duke University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. Durham is becoming a center for technology startups, with several accelerators, co-working spaces and entrepreneurial meetups. The city also encourages social entrepreneurship and has supported several successful mission-driven organizations in the community. Business owners can find resources at the Greater Durham Black Chamber of Commerce.

8. Jackson, Mississippi, metro area
Manufacturing, food processing, distribution, technology and health care are the powers behind the economy in Jackson, where almost a quarter of businesses are owned by black entrepreneurs. To attract new businesses, the city recently launched the Business of the Quarter initiative to recognize successful local companies and Startup Jackson, which provides tips, one-on-one counseling and workshops. One black-owned small business, Royal Bleau Boutique, has found success with guidance from the Jackson State University Small Business Development Center.

9. Savannah, Georgia, metro area
Savannah is steeped in African-American culture, and its history attracts about 13 million visitors each year. The charming coastal city is home to culinary gems, including Chef Joe Randall’s Cooking School and Sisters Real Southern Cooking. The area’s more than 200 banks and credit unions provide plenty of access to funding for new small businesses, and the Creative Coast Alliance is a unique nonprofit that encourages entrepreneurship and innovation.

10. Baltimore, Maryland, metro area
Businesses in Baltimore benefit from 270,000 commuters who arrive in the city every day. Baltimore Open For Business offers a comprehensive online guide to entrepreneurship in the city — with details about permits, zoning, licenses and inspections. The Baltimore Chamber of Commerce is another resource, with its Small Business Alliance Program, which supports entrepreneurs by offering discounted marketing opportunities, focus groups and networking events.

12. Raleigh-Cary, North Carolina, metro area
Small business enthusiasts in the Raleigh metro area can enjoy support from the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber offers an online Small Business Resource Guide and seminars about entrepreneurship throughout the year. Hamlin Drug, located in the heart of downtown, is the oldest African-American-owned pharmacy in the nation, at 108 years old.

18. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas, metro area
The Greater Houston Black Chamber of Commerce hosts bi-monthly business group meetings to facilitate dialogue among CEOs on key business decisions and issue areas. The Chamber also hosts the Pinnacle Awards to honor African-American businesses for their successful contributions to community building.

22. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas, metro area
Founded in 1926 and boasting over 2,000 members, the Dallas Black Chamber of Commerce is the oldest black chamber in the U.S. This coming August, the Chamber will host its second annual State of Black Business Forum to discuss the climate and trends of African American businesses in Dallas.

26. Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, North Carolina-South Carolina, metro area
The Charlotte economy is known for the strength of its distribution, banking, and financial services. J.W. Smith & Associates, LLC was recognized by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Black Chamber of Commerce as a strong black-owned business in the consulting field.
- See more at: citybizlist : Citybizlist : NerdWallet Ranks Dallas Among Best Places For Black-Owned Businesses

According to the Gallup Poll on Most and Least Conservative States
Alabama,Mississippi,Louisiana are the most conservative with South Carolina rounding out the top 10.
Georgia is Above Average Conservative and NC is ranked as average.

When you look at the numbers GA and NC are apart no more that2-4% points on most measures when compared to Alabama which is second most conservative its more than 20 points higher.

People say Mobile and Savannah are most similar.Here are the differences
Mobile Foreign Born population-3.4%
Savannah Foreign Born-6.0%

Mobile Hispanic Pop%-2.4%
Savannah Hispanic Pop%=4.7%

Columbus and Montgomery
Montgomery Foreign Born-4.5%
Columbus-5.4%

Montgomery Hispanic-3.9%
Columbus-6.4%

Athens and Auburn
Auburn Foreign Born-8.6%
Athens-10.5%

Auburn Hispanic-2.9%
Athens Hispanic-10.5%

Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know very little about Homewood so I cant say you are wrong or right and my time in Raleigh was short so im not familiar enough to name all the areas but when I was driving around(gettting lost)it was just what I thought about in some areas,

Augusta reminds Winston Salem
Cape Hatteras,NC-St.Marys,GA
Wilmington-Savannah/Brunswick
Fayetteville,NC-Columbus GA
Augusta reminds me more so of Columbia than anywhere else (only smaller). Winston-Salem feels quite a bit larger than Augusta, has a tobacco history, and has a prestigious university that adds a little bit of a more transient quality to it. In short, I don't think they feel so similar. I don't think there's a drastic difference among any of these metros, but if I had to couple Augusta with any other metro, Winston-Salem would not come to mind.

Southeastern North Carolina has a different feel from anywhere on the Georgia coast. The Georgia coast, particularly Savannah, reminds me of Charleston. SENC also has a lot of history steeped in tobacco cultivation and timber, and its culture and demographics reflect that. Brunswick County, NC, and perhaps some other slices of the Pee Dee, are sort of their own cultural region (Calabash seafood, chicken bog, etc.).

The only similarity I see between Fayetteville and Columbus is the military presence. Otherwise, it's a bit of stretch to liken it to a NC city that's mad far away when the Columbus MSA actually extends into Alabama.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 04-05-2015 at 06:40 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
This is definitely what I think about when I think of Southeastern NC. I am thankful I got to observe one of these as a kid since they are now a relic of days long past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ign_GgAthYA

The other thing is Calabash. If you haven't had it, then you don't know much about Southeastern NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbrUbbTc9M8

Old 04-07-2015, 10:08 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,428 times
You know the more I think about it, Georgia is kind of like Texas in a way. Both have very liberal areas (Austin for TX and Atlanta for GA) which are about as different as you can get from there respective opposites (TX panhandle and south GA respectively). There urban areas routinely vote over 80% in favor of socially progressive issues while the other extremes routinely vote over 95% against them. Hard to believe these places can exist in the same state. You would be hard pressed to find any other states with quite an extreme difference. I guess in the end I would say the urban areas of GA and NC are more alike and the rural areas of GA and AL are more alike. I guess I would give the edge to AL though (I lived on the southwestern side of the Atlanta area and went to college in Carrollton so my experience gave more of an AL vibe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City