Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
And Yet GA Native born pop.is more than 25% less and Foreign born populaton in many of its counties OUTSIDE of Atlanta is more than triple of those in MS or double in AL

Then GA has several cities whose top single employers number over 41,0000 where as in either of those states the highest was under 20,000;
All the major cities in GA have grown while all those in AL and most in MS have lost population.

But hey go ahead with your delusions because you sound desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:00 PM

304 posts, read 324,783 times
As someone who lives in Georgia, Atlanta metro, Georgia has far more in common with Alabama than NC, though all three are more simiar than different. With the exception of Atlanta, Georgia geographically is almost identical to Alabama. Most of the small towns are the same culturally, and demographically they are more similar. Honestly when I am driving south in Georgia heading into Florida to visit relatives, I can tell no difference between the scenery, the towns, and the overall landscape, than when I am driving south-west from Atlanta to visit friends in Montgomery Alabama. But when I drive through North Carolina I feel like I am getting more of a taste of the Appalachians. You have the Smokey Mountains, the coastal towns in NC which look nothing like Georgia's coastal towns, and then of course as you get further north it starts to resemble more of Virginia.

Honestly Atlanta is so out of place in Georgia it's almost hard to imagine how the two even co-exist. Atlanta is really the only moderately progressive part of the entire state, it's architecture has nothing in common with typical southern architecture, and it was the first city in the South, including any city in Florida to get a subway system, a professional baseball team, and a NHL team. It's staggering to think that Georgia is quickly becoming a swing state politically thanks almost entirely to one city.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
Honestly Atlanta is so out of place in Georgia it's almost hard to imagine how the two even co-exist.
They don't, really. Atlanta can't get anything from Georgia without kissing its ring. I'm amazed that Atlanta exists on the scale it does being in such a dumbass state. I can only imagine how much greater this city could be if it wasn't in Georgia. Take a look at this: CL's 2015 Golden Sleaze Awards. These are the types of people leading this state.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Quote:
As someone who lives in Georgia, Atlanta metro, Georgia has far more in common with Alabama than NC, though all three are more simiar than different. With the exception of Atlanta, Georgia geographically is almost identical to Alabama. Most of the small towns are the same culturally, and demographically they are more similar. Honestly when I am driving south in Georgia heading into Florida to visit relatives, I can tell no difference between the scenery, the towns, and the overall landscape, than when I am driving south-west from Atlanta to visit friends in Montgomery Alabama. But when I drive through North Carolina I feel like I am getting more of a taste of the Appalachians. You have the Smokey Mountains, the coastal towns in NC which look nothing like Georgia's coastal towns, and then of course as you get further north it starts to resemble more of Virginia.

Honestly Atlanta is so out of place in Georgia it's almost hard to imagine how the two even co-exist. Atlanta is really the only moderately progressive part of the entire state, it's architecture has nothing in common with typical southern architecture, and it was the first city in the South, including any city in Florida to get a subway system, a professional baseball team, and a NHL team. It's staggering to think that Georgia is quickly becoming a swing state politically thanks almost entirely to one city.
I can understand Raleigh/Durham resembling Virginia, but would you agree Charlotte is similar to Atlanta? I'd say Atlanta is definitely more similar to Charlotte over Birmingham.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:50 PM

304 posts, read 324,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I can understand Raleigh/Durham resembling Virginia, but would you agree Charlotte is similar to Atlanta? I'd say Atlanta is definitely more similar to Charlotte over Birmingham.
Atlanta and Charlotte are very similar indeed. Charlotte and Atlanta tend to be inline culturally and politically, and both are also similar architecturally as you could take Atlanta's and Charlotte's buildings out of their respective cities and put them almost anywhere up north and they would not be out of place, whereas you could not do the same with Birmingham.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Quote:
Atlanta and Charlotte are very similar indeed. Charlotte and Atlanta tend to be inline culturally and politically, and both are also similar architecturally as you could take Atlanta's and Charlotte's buildings out of their respective cities and put them almost anywhere up north and they would not be out of place, whereas you could not do the same with Birmingham.
Atlanta might even be more similar to Raleigh/Durham over Birmingham, although Raleigh/Durham isn't anywhere near Deep South so I might be wrong. Raleigh/Durham is probably more similar to Richmond, or even Northern Virginia in some pockets.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:

Once again a person that is not from GA and lives in Atlanta giving an opinion based on driving through on a state highway or interstate.

As had been said the Southwest GA area does indeed has similarities to Alabama but also like Athens has similarities to Chapel Hill more than Auburn-Opelika and Dalton,GA to Thomasville.

Georgia shares the exact same coast as NC,Wilmington is similar in history and culture to Savannah and Brunswick with its Revolutionary History.
Not to memtion as I said earlier the Gullah-Geechie
Gullah Geechee Corridor
Sir Edward Teach(Blackeard the Pirate) terrorized the Islands in area and treasure his treasuer is said to be somewhere along he GA coast.
Now where did you go in Alabama that shares this?

As if you can really tell the difference between the Smokies and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

And as a matter of FACT as I showed earlier,many areas are NOT the same demographically.
If you trully have spent time in these areas than "drving through" you culd actually se the differences.

There is NO ciounty in NC with a Hispanic population larger than GA out of the se 3 states by a wide margin.So how can it demographically be different?As mentioned also,the counties with the largest percentage of Hispanic population are in the top 5.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Atlanta might even be more similar to Raleigh/Durham over Birmingham, although Raleigh/Durham isn't anywhere near Deep South so I might be wrong. Raleigh/Durham is probably more similar to Richmond, or even Northern Virginia in some pockets.
Besides progressivism and being capitals of their respective states, I just don't see it. Raleigh feels almost pressure-washed relative to Atlanta, even moreso than Charlotte.

Whenever people speak about Birmingham, they're usually referring to areas north of Red Mountain and along I-20. I just can't imagine someone thoroughly familiar with the Birmingham area, particularly south Bham, coming to the conclusion that Raleigh is closer in feel to Atlanta.

Atlanta seems far more gritty, and "lived-in" relative to Raleigh. It's the type of place where one may easily find themselves involved in voluntary mischief- similar to New Orleans in that regard. Raleigh strikes me as the polar opposite; even the hood was rather PG-13 in appearance to me.

To put it another way, I can't imagine Freaknik having taken place in Raleigh!

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 04-03-2015 at 01:08 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 01:09 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Besides progressivism and being capitals of their respective states, I just don't see it. Raleigh feels almost pressure-washed relative to Atlanta, even moreso than Charlotte.

Whenever people speak about Birmingham, they're usually referring to areas north of Red Mountain and along I-20. I just can't imagine someone thoroughly familiar with the Birmingham area, particularly south Bham, coming to the conclusion that Raleigh is closer in feel to Atlanta.

Atlanta seems far more gritty, and "lived-in" relative to Raleigh. It's the type of place where one may easily find themselves involved in voluntary mischief- similar to New Orleans in that regard. Raleigh strikes me as the polar opposite; even the hood was rather PG-13 in appearance to me.

To put it another way, I can't imagine Freaknik having taken place in Raleigh!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:43 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:

NC population is distribute the same way as GA. the major difference between North Carolina and Georgia is North Carolina is turned side ways.

But the error people are not getting that NC 3 major metro neighbor each other, Charlotte - Raleigh is a small part of the state............. If you can say "out side of Atlanta" you can say "out side of Charlotte - Raleigh" Outside of Charlotte - Raleigh the state culture is very similar in GA outside of Atlanta. Nobody is thinking about the small NC towns and cities that reflect southern culture. I even post a map of the black belt to show demographically NC is similar to GA.

Charlotte CSA 2,493,040
Greensboro CSA 1,619,313
Raleigh CSA 2,037,430
Total Piedmont Crescent 6,149,783 ............ This tiny area of NC is 60% of entire state of NC just like ATL is 60% of GA

The area is not much better than Atlanta by itself. Inside the red lines is like Atlanta outsides those redlines, NC is like GA outside of Atlanta.

Atlanta CSA 6,162,195

Actually North Georgia and West North Carolina are blue ridge. Again NC is GA turn to the side. The Blue Ridge is not in Alabama. However the Piedmont which Atlanta is in extents from Montgomery up to Richmond.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...an_map.svg.png

Actually both states have colonial architecture here and their.

Most southern cities Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, generally most major cities Chicago, LA, Detroit and etc are built grided................

Both Raleigh and Charlotte are built in the same chaotic layout style as Atlanta this is the most obvious sign. Also with similar architecture. It's unique to the southern Piedmont. Birmingham is an odd ball because it was a planned city, it's style is somewhere between Atlanta and Memphis layout.

Raleigh and Charlotte are not built like Richmond, Norfolk or DC. Those places are grinded. And they definitely don't resemble DC and Richmond architecturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City