Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.93%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.82%
Nashville, TN 108 39.71%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.15%
Louisville, KY 10 3.68%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.10%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.88%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,550 times

Advertisements

Atlanta itself is abnormally small population-wise. Virginia Beach is larger than it, and VB's metro area is 1/3rd the size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:39 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Atlanta itself is abnormally small population-wise. Virginia Beach is larger than it, and VB's metro area is 1/3rd the size.
That's because Virginia Beach is the result of a city-county consolidation and is larger than the city of Atlanta by over 100 square miles....not exactly the best comparison.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because Virginia Beach is the result of a city-county consolidation and is larger than the city of Atlanta by over 100 square miles....not exactly the best comparison.
And the vast majority of the population lives in the upper half of the City, and ALSO contains large state parks and large bodies of water within its borders (several rivers, bays, and a lagoon).

Old 04-22-2015, 05:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
And the vast majority of the population lives in the upper half of the City, and ALSO contains large state parks and large bodies of water within its borders (several rivers, bays, and a lagoon).
And? Atlanta also has parks, industrial lands, and a huge mansion district with multi-acre lots and actual estates that lower the density level & limits fully developed residential areas. Atlanta also has a real, functioning urban core that's at the center of a region of 6 million. Virginia Beach is the opposite of this and a totally bad comparison, by any metric.

The point Mutiny77 makes stands. This is nothing unusual for an older city that anchors a major metro area. Boston & D.C. are very similar to Atlanta in this regard.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I excluded water; VA Beach has 249 sq mi of land, whereas Atlanta has 132 sq mi of land. Seeing as though their municipal populations are virtually the same, this makes Atlanta, a relatively low-density city, quite a bit denser than VA Beach so I'm not really sure what your point is.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:12 PM

All right, fine, whatever.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 PM

354 posts, read 627,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I hope the growth rates for Raleigh and Charlotte slow down, the last thing we need is more soulless suburban sprawl ripping apart the countryside destroying southern culture and replacing it with strip malls and apartment complexes.

On a side note, someone should make a Raleigh vs Nashville thread or Nashville vs Richmond.
Well if you think the growth in Raleigh & Charlotte need to slow down, then Atlanta does too then beause they are growing out of control as well too.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 AM

370 posts, read 543,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not really, plus all of those cities have massive city limits. Atlanta's city limits are more akin to Northeast type city limits.

It's arbitrary. Atlanta's city proper population is smaller than Charlotte, but it's a lot more urban and walkable. It feels like a much bigger city and Atlanta has a lot more people within 2 miles of downtown than Charlotte does.
I agree that Atlanta is BY FAR larger than Charlotte, no doubt. They aren't even in same the field of play. And I know Charlotte has about 13,500 in uptown right now (http://files.charlottecentercity.org/SoCC2015.pdf). But what is Atlanta's current downtown population? I only found an article from 2012 saying 23,000 (Downtown Atlanta: The Heart Of The City - Georgia Trend), which is much closer to Charlotte than I expected. Clearly ATL has likely added since then. I'm specifically not including Midtown for ATL or SouthEnd for Charlotte here, just downtowns. But based on how much larger the ATL metro is in comparison to Charlotte (essentially 3x the size), I would have expected these numbers to be much farther apart.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
I agree that Atlanta is BY FAR larger than Charlotte, no doubt. They aren't even in same the field of play. And I know Charlotte has about 13,500 in uptown right now (http://files.charlottecentercity.org/SoCC2015.pdf). But what is Atlanta's current downtown population? I only found an article from 2012 saying 23,000 (Downtown Atlanta: The Heart Of The City - Georgia Trend), which is much closer to Charlotte than I expected. Clearly ATL has likely added since then. I'm specifically not including Midtown for ATL or SouthEnd for Charlotte here, just downtowns. But based on how much larger the ATL metro is in comparison to Charlotte (essentially 3x the size), I would have expected these numbers to be much farther apart.
Midtown is much more residential than downtown and has gotten the lion's share of development within the core the past two decades or so, so I'm not surprised. It's possible than downtown has just as many or more GSU students residing there than permanent residents.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 AM

370 posts, read 543,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Midtown is much more residential than downtown and has gotten the lion's share of development within the core the past two decades or so, so I'm not surprised. It's possible than downtown has just as many or more GSU students residing there than permanent residents.
Ah okay, that makes sense then. Honestly I'm just relieved to see significant growth occurring for both in their respective downtown's. Bring on the density, we certainly could use some more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City