Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.93%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.82%
Nashville, TN 108 39.71%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.15%
Louisville, KY 10 3.68%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.10%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.88%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok. The point is Houston and Atlanta are in the same tier.Charlotte is not even close.
Houston has a larger economy but its not the richest.

Houston per capita inocme is $27,305.Atlanta is $35,890
Houston median household income is $45,010.Atlanta's is $46,631
Check the GDP then get back at me. Houston brings in more money period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:32 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Check the GDP then get back at me. Houston brings in more money period.
I never said it didnt.A GDP just means larger economy not "richest"

Old 04-17-2015, 02:37 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok. The point is Houston and Atlanta are in the same tier.Charlotte is not even close.
Houston has a larger economy but its not the richest.

Houston per capita inocme is $27,305.Atlanta is $35,890
Houston median household income is $45,010.Atlanta's is $46,631
Virginia Beach is, technically speaking, *far richer* with median household incomes up there at ~$65k.

But yeah, economically, both cities dwarf that area.

...I'm wondering what my point is.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Houston's economy isn't super diverse--not as much as Atlanta's--yet it has boomed and is booming big time. And even with a more diverse economy, Atlanta had the worst fallout of the recession compared to Houston, Charlotte, and Raleigh. In theory diversification sounds good but I think practically, too much may be made of it. The nature of a predominant industry is just as much of a factor and in light of that, Raleigh has what it takes to continue booming and even more so because the area universities and government offices aren't going anywhere.
Well, this last recession was unique and abnormally large. Generally, Atlanta is the first to recover from recessions.

Think about it. Right now, job growth across the country has significantly dropped from the year before, yet Atlanta is showing massive job increases, higher % than Dallas and Houston now. Assuming we go under another recession in a year or two, Atlanta will probably be doing well other cities fall off a bit like Houston is now. That's the power of a diverse economy.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:17 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
The United States will probably slip into a recession within the next two years.

Don't wish for that to happen but get the feeling that is where it is going. The recession prior was caused by fiscal irresponsibility, that is what it came down to. A lot of the booms taking place right now aren't actually off substantive values but once again off of the "get rich" campaign drawn by the housing markets and landlords. Eventually the bubble will blow up to an unsustainable point and then go burst.

The multifamily market/apartment market is a new threat, while more stringent standards apply now than pre-2008 to get qualifications and background checks, they are not stringent enough to save an industry from ballooning. Banks will be devastated again and that is the root to these sort of recessions.

There is definitely a noticeable slowdown on the horizon.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The United States will probably slip into a recession within the next two years.

Don't wish for that to happen but get the feeling that is where it is going. The recession prior was caused by fiscal irresponsibility, that is what it came down to. A lot of the booms taking place right now aren't actually off substantive values but once again off of the "get rich" campaign drawn by the housing markets and landlords. Eventually the bubble will blow up to an unsustainable point and then go burst.

The multifamily market/apartment market is a new threat, while more stringent standards apply now than pre-2008 to get qualifications and background checks, they are not stringent enough to save an industry from ballooning. Banks will be devastated again and that is the root to these sort of recessions.

There is definitely a noticeable slowdown on the horizon.
They always say...gas price drops are the best indicators of an upcoming recession. If Houston falls, eventually we all fall, or most of us anyway. If I can recall, Atlanta was still doing excellent in the early 2000s recession. I'm hoping it's the same case for this next one.

But yes, too many cities are overbuilding, especially ones that don't have spectacular job growth, population growth, a booming Tech industry.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:28 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
For all that is good and holy please do not turn this thread into yet another inane Atlanta vs. Houston thread. Please just stick to the topic or this thread will need to be closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-17-2015, 05:50 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
That's fine. Everyone keeps expecting to Charlotte to stall out and I love it.

Charlotte isn't cool and it probably never will be. But I like that. There aren't a bunch of try-hard hipsters floating around Charlotte like I've experienced in the likes of Raleigh or Denver or any of the other "it" cities of the moment. Jeans and t-shirt? Cool, have a beer.

Charlotte is just going to keep quietly chugging along as it has been for nearly 20-30 years now, growing like crazy and trying it's best to deal with that growth. Oddly, I've grown to like that Charlotte has no identity. It's just kind of a city, with people living it. And good beer.
My thoughts are there are more people in Charlotte that like it as it is than there are people that want growth at any cost. It should keep on being a nice place to be for some time. It also seems like a southern version of Columbus, OH. Bigger than a lot of cities, but nobody seems to know about it and it sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,428 times
The Triangle also has a very large hospital/healthcare and biomedical industry, something that is only expected to get bigger in the next few decades.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Off this list, Raleigh and Nashville clearly come in ahead. Richmond would come in behind those two, and I guess Jacksonville would come in behind Richmond. The others, I really don't know, but I know cities like Birmingham and Memphis have no business being grouped in with Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. Those two are still seen as the few "Old South" metros that haven't jumped on the "New South" bandwagon, along with others like Montgomery, Jackson, Mobile, and maybe Little Rock.
Atlanta competes with Dallas, TX and not these other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City