Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.93%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.82%
Nashville, TN 108 39.71%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.15%
Louisville, KY 10 3.68%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.10%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.88%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not at all. When Tampa was settled in 1823, Charleston (founded in 1670) and New Orleans (founded in 1718) were among the top 10 largest cities in the country.
Thanks Mutiny77. I knew Savannah, and Charleston was some of the very first cities established the South. Not sure why I thought Tampa was one of them.

Last edited by JoninATX; 04-04-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Thanks Mutiny77. I knew Savannah, and Charleston was some of the very first cities established the South. Not sure why I thought Tampa one of them.
Yeah, St. Augustine would be Florida's answer to Savannah, Charleston, and NOLA in the age department (or vice versa, since St. Augustine is older than them), although it never became as large as them.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, St. Augustine would be Florida's answer to Savannah, Charleston, and NOLA in the age department (or vice versa, since St. Augustine is older than them), although it never became as large as them.
It's still amazes me just out old these cities are, and what if like you said Charleston grew to be as large as New Orleans. Or if Houston never existed with Galveston being the only city in that area.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,766 times
Quote:
It's still amazes me just out old these cities are, and what if like you said Charleston grew to be as large as New Orleans. Or if Houston never existed with Galveston being the only city in that area.
I think what sucks is that St. Augustine and New Orleans both had so many of their pre-19th century buildings destroyed.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I think what sucks is that St. Augustine and New Orleans both had so many of their pre-19th century buildings destroyed.
That's sad, yeah I hate how some of our Texas cities Dallas and Houston destroyed alot of their past by making way for parking lots.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,766 times
Quote:
That's sad, yeah I hate how some of our Texas cities Dallas and Houston destroyed alot of their past by making way for parking lots.
Most of the US did that. Most of old Boston is now skyscrapers

San Antonio does a pretty decent job of not wrecking the old at least.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM

San Antonio did a great job in preserving it's buildings, just sad that some cities across the U.S destroyed some of their past in order to make way for something that wasn't necessary. But glad cities especially Houston looked at their mistakes and make way for density.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Richmond is super cool, but a bit too north. Not sure if southerners would move there as a southern destination. It seems more like a place that northerners might move to, than southerners might move to.

New Orleans SHOULD be more competitive with Atlanta and such.

Nashville is a great contender for a next Atlanta.

Jacksonville....I can't see it with that city.

Louisville is another super cool city much like Richmond, but I see it more as a regional hub. I think it is also too cold and too far north, for most southerners to gravitate towards.

Raleigh...too suburban.

Birmingham...not sure.

Memphis...nah....that one's time has passed, I can't see what the attraction would be for that one.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Richmond is super cool, but a bit too north. Not sure if southerners would move there as a southern destination. It seems more like a place that northerners might move to, than southerners might move to.

New Orleans SHOULD be more competitive with Atlanta and such.

Nashville is a great contender for a next Atlanta.

Jacksonville....I can't see it with that city.

Louisville is another super cool city much like Richmond, but I see it more as a regional hub. I think it is also too cold and too far north, for most southerners to gravitate towards.

Raleigh...too suburban.

Birmingham...not sure.

Memphis...nah....that one's time has passed, I can't see what the attraction would be for that one.
Seriously? LOL...that hasn't stopped Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
I think it's gotta be Nashville. It may never be on the level of cities like Houston or Atlanta, but it's easily the go-to city of the Mid-South, and while a rung lower than Charlotte, may one day at least be compared favorably to it.

New Orleans is what it is. It's probably never going to even flirt with a 2M metro in any of our lifetimes, but it has the reputation of a city twice its size. It's always going to be a major tourism hub, but probably will never outgrow its niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City