Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia more urban than Chicago?
More urban 49 25.52%
Less urban 102 53.13%
About the same/don't know/don't care 41 21.35%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
It's time to give the final answer. According to some news, Philly has the 2nd largest downtown in the U.S. now! Just admit that Chicago is continuing to decline while Philly is making a comeback greater than New York of the 90's.

Chicago is still perched as the 3/4th most important city in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 PM

183 posts, read 220,400 times
Yes, Chicago is still a major city but Philly is superior to it now.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Yes, Chicago is still a major city but Philly is superior to it now.
Oh brother! You have to be one of the most delusional Philly homers on here, lol.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Oh brother! You have to be one of the most delusional Philly homers on here, lol.
Don't worry. This troll is even delusional to us real Philadelphians. The same kind of stuff appears on the Philadelphia city threads.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:09 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Don't worry. This troll is even delusional to us real Philadelphians. The same kind of stuff appears on the Philadelphia city threads.
Yes, I've been reading through some of those threads with much amusement!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
It's time to give the final answer. According to some news, Philly has the 2nd largest downtown in the U.S. now! Just admit that Chicago is continuing to decline while Philly is making a comeback greater than New York of the 90's.
The articles point out how Philadelphia has the second largest residential population in the country, which is something it has had for decades now, given the highly residential structure of the downtown area.

This has nothing to do with Chicago, unless you want to point out how Chicago's immediate downtown area has increased in population by 55% from 2000 to 2010 and added another 16,000 residential units since 2010.

So it's not as large, but certainly getting closer to Philadelphia in downtown residential population, something it has never been close to in the past.

Chicago is not continuing a decline, I think you would have meant to say increasing quickly.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Yes, I've been reading through some of those threads with much amusement!
It is funny, but also does a great disservice to people actually looking for information. I think most of them are able to tell right away that what he's saying is mostly all crap based on the wild claims, but in the end a lot of people are going to start associating all the garbage he's throwing around onto their views of Philadelphia.

Like a little kid who runs around annoying everyone and making up wild stories and telling people he's the best at everything and he's amazing. What do they think of him? They think he needs to go away, grow up, and they have quite negative views of that person. Clearly people would think that of this poster at the end of the day, no one takes any of his posts literally or to heart, but I wouldn't want them to start projecting those thoughts for that inmature person on to Philly itself.

I go to Philly a few times a year and absolutely love it.

I think right away when I see these posters who try to boost their own cities by immediately bashing other cities - they lose all credibility. It certainly doesn't make me think Philadelphia is a better city than I did before when you're just screaming that New York, Chicago, Houston and whatever else city he's been throwing in the toilet all suck.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:20 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It is funny, but also does a great disservice to people actually looking for information. I think most of them are able to tell right away that what he's saying is mostly all crap based on the wild claims, but in the end a lot of people are going to start associating all the garbage he's throwing around onto their views of Philadelphia.

Like a little kid who runs around annoying everyone and making up wild stories and telling people he's the best at everything and he's amazing. What do they think of him? They think he needs to go away, grow up, and they have quite negative views of that person. Clearly people would think that of this poster at the end of the day, no one takes any of his posts literally or to heart, but I wouldn't want them to start projecting those thoughts for that inmature person on to Philly itself.

I go to Philly a few times a year and absolutely love it.

I think right away when I see these posters who try to boost their own cities by immediately bashing other cities - they lose all credibility. It certainly doesn't make me think Philadelphia is a better city than I did before when you're just screaming that New York, Chicago, Houston and whatever else city he's been throwing in the toilet all suck.
Well it's all of that and the fact that the Original Poster completely overlooks the fact that the ivory tower of a city they are boosting isn't exactly the shining example of all that is new. When it comes to decay both Philly and Chicago were hit pretty hard during suburbanization. They both still have quite a bit of evidence of that decline. Last time I was in Philly It was pretty easy to spot. I definitely appreciate the pragmatic approach other Philly homers have been taking in this tho

As for the title statement I do not think Philly is more urban than Chicago, and I don't think the majority of people would think so either. That evidence is in the result of the poll. What I don't understand is how someone could take it as a pejorative toward Philly, as it's really not a reflection of a shortcoming.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
I need to explore Philly, it's probably the biggest city in this country I know very little about. Only time I was there, I was driving the 95 between NYC and Miami, and stopped to get a Philly Cheese steak at some famous spot. I since have forgotten. The cheese steak was all right. The area it was in reminded me of Baltimore. Structurally dense, low pedestrian activity (it was raining and cold), but in some ways charming.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I need to explore Philly, it's probably the biggest city in this country I know very little about. Only time I was there, I was driving the 95 between NYC and Miami, and stopped to get a Philly Cheese steak at some famous spot. I since have forgotten. The cheese steak was all right. The area it was in reminded me of Baltimore. Structurally dense, low pedestrian activity (it was raining and cold), but in some ways charming.
My advice, if you come again forget about cheesesteaks. Phila. has dozens of restaurants which feature all kinds food but no cheesesteaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City