Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia more urban than Chicago?
More urban 49 25.52%
Less urban 102 53.13%
About the same/don't know/don't care 41 21.35%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:09 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
God, I hate saying this, since you will totally blow it out of the water and start another yelling, over-the-top, Chicago post. There is good hog dog shop, Underdog in CC, that has Chicago-style hot dogs.

Personally I'd rather have a Italian hoagie or pork with broccoli rabe.
Sounds good to me I like Sauce on a Italian to.... wow a Chicago dog in a Philly shop... can't find one me in central PA. One Restaurant/Bar by me had a variety of Hot Dogs month. But for all they had? No Chicago Dog. . I can't find sport peppers? Authentic ones.... like they use, by me either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 03:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
According to City Data information, density for each city:

Philadelphia - 11,497
Chicago - 11,970
Not only is Chicago denser but it's denser across almost 100 square miles more of city limits. If one peeled off the extra hundred square miles on Chicago's edges in order to compare 134 square miles against 134 square miles of Philly's limits, the disparity in density between the two cities would most likely be greater.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Not only is Chicago denser but it's denser across almost 100 square miles more of city limits. If one peeled off the extra hundred square miles on Chicago's edges in order to compare 134 square miles against 134 square miles of Philly's limits, the disparity in density between the two cities would most likely be greater.
That's a pretty marginal difference in density. I mean, only on city data would people argue that density of 11.9k is higher than density of 11.5k.

It could simply be explained by (very) slightly higher family sizes, because Chicago has somewhat more Mexicans. Or maybe it's even within the margin of error for the Census estimates.

I mean, on another thread, people were telling me that there is no difference between 30k and 10k in density, as they were both "dense". Now people are saying that a 5% difference is apparently huge.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 PM

183 posts, read 220,390 times
Chicago is not denser than Philly. Forget about population figures, look at the built form. A sq. mi. of highrises surrounded by parking lots, ridiculously wide streets, and empty space may have a higher population density than a sq. mi. of 3-4 stories rowhouses built next to each other on blocks with streets so narrow cars couldn't fit. But which would feel "denser"?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
Chicago is not denser than Philly. Forget about population figures, look at the built form. A sq. mi. of highrises surrounded by parking lots, ridiculously wide streets, and empty space may have a higher population density than a sq. mi. of 3-4 stories rowhouses built next to each other on blocks with streets so narrow cars couldn't fit. But which would feel "denser"?
I disagree, Chicago feels a lot more intense than Philadelphia. Its like saying Miami isn't denser than St. Louis, because St. Louis has more intimate and traditionally urban architecture/streetscapes. That's just intellectually dishonest.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
Yeah man, Chicago and New York are like small towns compared to Philly, don't you know?!?!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:36 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I disagree, Chicago feels a lot more intense than Philadelphia. Its like saying Miami isn't denser than St. Louis, because St. Louis has more intimate and traditionally urban architecture/streetscapes. That's just intellectually dishonest.
St. Louis does actually have better old-school urban neighborhoods than Miami.

And it's a silly comparison anyways. Philly and Chicago have the same density. Miami has like 2-3 times the density of St. Louis. Chicago and Philly have similar intensity.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:57 PM

34 posts, read 62,727 times
Putting population aside, Chicago is by far more urban than philadelphia....

Old 04-26-2015, 01:06 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizilicious View Post
Putting population aside, Chicago is by far more urban than philadelphia....
nah.

my definition of urban is a concrete jungle, with walls of buildings at every corner.

I am still a little confused why this thread is open, when there is a 100+ page thread on this topic already.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...urban-115.html

at that there are other ones too.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 AM

672 posts, read 757,044 times
Chicago: conquered!

Next stop: NYC!

Then: THE WORLD, COMRADES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City