Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland vs. New Haven metro area
Cleveland metro area 17 58.62%
New Haven metro area 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 02:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Why are you looking for temp jobs? I thought you said you were going to move there and live off savings until you find the right job.

Well I would prefer a permanent job of course. But a temp job would be better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 02:59 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Is New Haven that much cheaper than where you live now? I can't imagine why New Haven would be so much cheaper than the towns to the west - it does look like it's a very desirable place to live compared to the crowded urban areas to the west of there. Also, do you think it's easier to get a job in New Haven compared to Cleveland?

As for the temporary job thing, just keep in mind that it's far better than not working at all, and you'd be able to start pretty much right away (I would think.)

Old 04-11-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Is New Haven that much cheaper than where you live now? I can't imagine why New Haven would be so much cheaper than the towns to the west - it does look like it's a very desirable place to live compared to the crowded urban areas to the west of there. Also, do you think it's easier to get a job in New Haven compared to Cleveland?

As for the temporary job thing, just keep in mind that it's far better than not working at all, and you'd be able to start pretty much right away (I would think.)
Yes, New Haven County is much cheaper than Fairfield County. The median home value in Fairfield County is $421K. But in New Haven County it is $241K. So houses are 43% less than they are in Fairfield County.

As for getting a job, the advantage that New Haven has is that it's only about 30 miles from me, so I would effectively be considered a local candidate and wouldn't bother quitting my job until I had one lined up. HOWEVER, the New Haven area in general is somewhat weak in jobs in my field (relative to the metro population).

Cleveland, on the other hand, has lots of jobs in my field (relative to the metro population), but I'm not a local candidate, obviously.

Another thing to note is that I could easier make a career change in Cleveland, because it's easier to live off of like $47K there. But in New Haven, if I made a career change and got paid like $53K, forget it. Forget home ownership and forget even renting a decent apartment. To live comfortably in New Haven County owning a home, I would need at least $65K. So that's a big favorable thing for CLE, assuming that I can even make a career change there even.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:59 PM

According to the thread poll results, Cleveland is winning.

Why, people?

Old 04-11-2015, 04:34 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Why, people?
Probably because folks like me believe in the promise and potential of the former Rust Belt cities compared to both the East and West coasts. Pittsburgh has made a huge comeback, and I think Cleveland is next in line, imo.

But keep in mind, the decision is yours to make, regardless of what you see here on City-Data. You need to decide how badly you want to change careers, and how much love you have for your home state. At least you're not encumbered by such things as a house and partner.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Probably because folks like me believe in the promise and potential of the former Rust Belt cities compared to both the East and West coasts. Pittsburgh has made a huge comeback, and I think Cleveland is next in line, imo.

But keep in mind, the decision is yours to make, regardless of what you see here on City-Data. You need to decide how badly you want to change careers, and how much love you have for your home state. At least you're not encumbered by such things as a house and partner.
Yup, you are correct.

But it's not like the coasts are dying off or whatever. They're still doing things to renew and attract people in various cities.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:06 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
So that's a big favorable thing for CLE, assuming that I can even make a career change there even.
See it's this kind of attitude that hinders your ability to make a career change. It basically says "I'm not confident that I can make a change like and have it work out". I don't intend to put words in your mouth, because I'm really hoping for your sake that it does work out for you. But you put wayyyyyy... too much weight on "but would if it doesn't workout" scenarios. When you start creating all these plausible negative scenarios in your mind they essentially create your reality.

You have to start believing than you can make a career change. Be confident that "you will" (affirmations) make a career change and relocate and meet your goals, if that's truly what you want at this point in your life. There will always be risks involved, you have to be willing to take them. Most successful people in life have taken big risks.

Either way, you've essentially been posting the same tune on here for a long time. I hope whatever you decide works out for you.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:

Why, people?
If the 155 responses to your thread in the Cleveland forum discussing the benefits of relocating to Cleveland haven't given you your answer by now, nothing will.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If the 155 responses to your thread in the Cleveland forum discussing the benefits of relocating to Cleveland haven't given you your answer by now, nothing will.
Minervah, I don't want you to think I dislike Cleveland. I liked it. And ever since I left, I have only liked it even more. There were many other places in this country that I visited for a potential relocation, and immediately knew it wasn't for me (e.g. Denver, Seattle, Austin, Miami, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.). Cleveland struck me differently, however. As I was leaving CLE, I asked myself, should I move here? I thought to myself, "eh.....nah....the roads were horrendous, most areas looks too gritty, and the people kind of seem Midwestern/gritty (would I really fit in as an east coaster?)." As I was driving back and approaching the east coast, I started to see why people generally prefer to live on the coasts. The BosWash Corridor is just a more global region and arguably a more advanced society than the Midwest. But several days later, moving to Cleveland started to get into my mind again and I am seriously considering it now.

I appreciate and value all of the responses everyone in the Cleveland forum have provided me. You all were very helpful and encouraging. I just need to think hard and serious where I want to anchor myself down for the next 10-20+ years. I don't want this to be a trial thing. I want it to be the real deal.

But yes, Cleveland offers a better shot at changing my career, as noted above. Arguably, however, I would say that central CT may be a better place to live in general. The scenery, New England charm and culture and the perk of being on the coast are things that I like. Today, as I was driving up I-91 north, just north of New Haven, I thought to myself, "oh my god...if I move to CLE, I'm not going to see any of these beautiful mountains or forests and nicely paved roads." Also not to mention, I like the extra progressive/liberal politics of CT. We have some interesting progressive things going on like pretty soon the ability for people to change their gender on their birth certificates, as well as universal FMLA. I know that CLE is a very Democratic area and Ohio leans blue, but do they actually have any progressive policies in place or proposed? Doesn't seem like it.

Anyway, I am scared to do anything. Heck, I'm scared to stay here in Fairfield County. I'm scared to stay, I'm scared to leave. I'm scared of LIFE!

Maybe I should just rely entirely on the poll results in this thread and just move to whichever place wins the poll. Looks like CLE is winning.

Last edited by nep321; 04-11-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 08:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Everyone who makes this kind of move is scared. I did it twice. Cross country and back again. It was scary each time especially this last time at the age of 68 in not so great health and having to use my savings to do it. But I did it anyway. Whatever problems arose and there are always unforeseen problems, I just worked on them.

But you have to decide sooner or later and really you are not going all that far. All you are doing by asking countless questions over and over is throwing more and more obstacles in your way and putting off making the final decision.

Worst case scenario is you don't like your new city. The roads travel both ways. You can return. You are young enough to begin again more than one time. You have to give it a chance first.

For heaven's sake, do not move to any city just because it has gotten the most votes in a poll on some relocation website. That says to me you are not ready to move anywhere. There is no "winning" here or losing. There is just making choices about what will work out for you and only you can decide that. If you can't decide, stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City