Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland vs. New Haven metro area
Cleveland metro area 17 58.62%
New Haven metro area 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times

Advertisements

I will be launching my job search in about a week and plan to aim for these two metro areas. I have thoroughly been to both.

Both places have similar climates, although Cleveland gets more snow in the eastern suburbs. Cleveland metro size is 2.1 million; New Haven metro is 0.9 million. Both places lean solidly to the left, politically, which I like. I absolutely refuse to live in a red state.

Both places have excellent food and are on the coast. New Haven is on Long Island Sound. Cleveland is on Lake Erie. And both places have a strong Italian population. Cleveland, of course, has a larger gay population, simply from being a larger metro.

New Haven is one hour of a drive from my parents' house in northern CT. Cleveland has 90-minute direct flights for $200-400 depending on the timing to Bradley Airport (near Hartford), which is 10 mins from my parent's house. Easy for visiting family.

I can afford real estate in either metro area, though of course, Cleveland is much more affordable.

I would probably fit in better in New Haven metro, since I'm a CT native to begin with. But when I visited Cleveland, I didn't really sense much culture shock, though it was slightly Midwestern to me. But no accents or anything like that.

Cleveland has a lot more job opportunities. New Haven has some, but it may be more of a challenge to find one.

Having been to both places, I would probably say that the scenery of Connecticut is generally more appealing than northeast Ohio. The New England charm and beautiful coastline is truly nice, although the coastline in both places is mostly occupied by private property, so I guess it's pointless to care about it anyway. But CT seems to be better for nature/outdoor lovers; although Cleveland Metroparks is really nice to have.

The roads in northeast Ohio are much worse than the roads in CT, for the most part, but CT roads aren't great either.

Now, the good thing about Cleveland is that I could make a career change that I have always wanted to make, because the cost of living is so low that I could afford to take a huge pay cut and still live decently. Whereas in the New Haven, CT area, I would have to stay in my career that I'm not too fond of, in order to afford the high cost of living. Then again, there's no guarantee that I would like the new career path either.

If you have had experience with both areas, please chime in and let me know your opinion. I would be glad to listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 06:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times
New Haven is part of the NYC metro area, and shares attributes of NYC, Hartford, and other Northeast Corridor cities.

Cleveland is its own metro area and has its own feel.

They don't really seem that similar to me. I don't see how Lake Erie is similar to the Atlantic, or how lots of Italians makes both areas that similar. They're both older parts of the country with some character. Certainly Cleveland is cheaper.

I, personally, would take New Haven, because it's a much prettier, more interesting part of the country, with better cities, better countryside and a better economy. I would love to be a short train ride to Manhattan, and a short drive to quaint towns and beautiful New England countryside. But Cleveland is much cheaper, and has lots to offer, so if you want cheap housing, it's an option. There are certainly worse places than NE Ohio.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
New Haven is part of the NYC metro area, and shares attributes of NYC, Hartford, and other Northeast Corridor cities.

Cleveland is its own metro area and has its own feel.

They don't really seem that similar to me. I don't see how Lake Erie is similar to the Atlantic, or how lots of Italians makes both areas that similar. They're both older parts of the country with some character. Certainly Cleveland is cheaper.

I, personally, would take New Haven, because it's a much prettier, more interesting part of the country, with better cities, better countryside and a better economy. I would love to be a short train ride to Manhattan, and a short drive to quaint towns and beautiful New England countryside. But Cleveland is much cheaper, and has lots to offer, so if you want cheap housing, it's an option. There are certainly worse places than NE Ohio.
New Haven is not part of the NYC metro area. New Haven-Milford, CT is its own distinct MSA. New Haven is about 70 miles from NYC.

I agree with you that CT is prettier than OH.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 PM

60 posts, read 103,383 times
Cleveland area and Ohio in general is always going to be cheaper than the Northeast. Only if you're worried about your finances would I prefer Cleveland for you otherwise stay in Connecticut.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 PM

I can afford either place just fine. Finances are a non-issue.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Now, the good thing about Cleveland is that I could make a career change that I have always wanted to make, because the cost of living is so low that I could afford to take a huge pay cut and still live decently. Whereas in the New Haven, CT area, I would have to stay in my career that I'm not too fond of, in order to afford the high cost of living. Then again, there's no guarantee that I would like the new career path either.
I would focus my decision and put more weight on where I would be most happy at my job. That's part of the reason why I stay in Albuquerque. I love my job here, and that makes a big impact on me and I'm generally happier for it. You already know you're not fond of your job as you had stated, so try something else.

Cleveland isn't terribly far from New England. From one New Englander to another, you can always go back, for a visit or a lifetime. I always have that in the back of my mind. For now, I'm enjoying life somewhere else.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I would focus my decision and put more weight on where I would be most happy at my job. That's part of the reason why I stay in Albuquerque. I love my job here, and that makes a big impact on me and I'm generally happier for it. You already know you're not fond of your job as you had stated, so try something else.

Cleveland isn't terribly far from New England. From one New Englander to another, you can always go back, for a visit or a lifetime. I always have that in the back of my mind. For now, I'm enjoying life somewhere else.
I know, but making a career change doesn't guarantee that it will be for the better. It's an unknown.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I know, but making a career change doesn't guarantee that it will be for the better. It's an unknown.
Well if you don't take a chance, then everything stays the same and you remain at the career that in your own words "not fond of", so there's that. You can either grow a pair and make a change, or have everything stay the same, including the job that you're not fond of.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-10-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well if you don't take a chance, then everything stays the same and you remain at the career that in your own words "not fond of", so there's that. You can either grow a pair and make a change, or have everything stay the same, including the job that you're not fond of.
I would love to make the change, but I am shocked to see how low the temp jobs pay in general accounting in Cleveland. They only pay like $18 an hour at best. I was hoping for at least $24. Sigh.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I would love to make the change, but I am shocked to see how low the temp jobs pay in general accounting in Cleveland. They only pay like $18 an hour at best. I was hoping for at least $24. Sigh.
Why are you looking for temp jobs? I thought you said you were going to move there and live off savings until you find the right job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City