Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Even when strictly using the Central Business District metric, Philly still has the larger downtown core population than Chicago.

Philadelphia CBD: 57,000
Chicago CBD: 33,000
Interesting to note that Center City Philly was a residential neighborhood first and foremost so the population has always been there long before buildings + commerce. They knocked down part of those neighborhoods to build the business district and Independence Mall Historical Park.

Its really only been the past 20 years or so where Philadelphia has entered the modern era of building apartment + condo towers. The vast majority of the population of Center City still live in the 4 story Brownstones and Townhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:39 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm actually, genuinely surprised that Philly is #2. However, since Chicago has allowed itself to go to crap in recent years in a way not seen since the mid- to late-1990s, then I think Philadelphia deserves this title. Congrats, City of Brotherly Love!

I'm not a Chicago hater, but it needs to get its s**t together. Philly, Boston, DC, L.A., SF, Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and even Indianapolis all have in recent years; obviously NYC really has, having gone from scary hellhole to chic in only 20 years.
When's the last time you were in the central/downtown area of Chicago if you think it's all gone to crap lately?? I've been here 20 years and the downtown area is FAR more polished and has way more things to do, activities, retail, riverwalk, residents, new hotels and towers everywhere etc. than it ever has before. Downtown is so greatly improved, especially the past 2-4 years I would say. I'm surprised you think it went to crap.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You might disagree but I also think Philly as a city has better architecture than Chicago. The way the city is able to blend its historic architecture with modern new age architecture is something Chicago simply cannot match. Philadelphia has become one of the biggest architectural meccas in North America.
As much as I'm a major Philly proponent, I personally wouldn't go that far. Chicago certainly has much to brag about in the architecture department, and especially for major, more visionary projects compared to Philly.

I would agree that Philly excels compared to Chicago for better "granular" (by that I mean the look and feel/vibe simply from a pedestrian perspective) and historic architecture. But since we're experts at splitting hairs on this thread, Philly by no objective measure is comparable to Chicago for large-scale modern architecture.

Again, architecture is just another area where both just offer something considerably different, and perspective is just a matter of preference.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm actually, genuinely surprised that Philly is #2. However, since Chicago has allowed itself to go to crap in recent years in a way not seen since the mid- to late-1990s, then I think Philadelphia deserves this title. Congrats, City of Brotherly Love!

I'm not a Chicago hater, but it needs to get its s**t together. Philly, Boston, DC, L.A., SF, Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and even Indianapolis all have in recent years; obviously NYC really has, having gone from scary hellhole to chic in only 20 years.
I was just in Chicago a little over a week ago, and downtown is stunning. Nothing about downtown Chicago has gone to "crap."

Old 06-26-2017, 01:29 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I was just in Chicago a little over a week ago, and downtown is stunning. Nothing about downtown Chicago has gone to "crap."
While most people visit the downtown area, like many cities, more than a few local neighborhoods are in decline or at ''crap'' level.

Visiting downtown Chicago one would never guess the city is broke and its debt is rated junk.

Chicago is now estimated to be at the trifecta level of decline: city, county, and region. Visiting its downtown area, one would never guess that, especially at the city level, there are economic and crime issues.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
This whole thread is pure nonsense. In no way is downtown Philly larger than downtown Chicago.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
While most people visit the downtown area, like many cities, more than a few local neighborhoods are in decline or at ''crap'' level.

Visiting downtown Chicago one would never guess the city is broke and its debt is rated junk.

Chicago is now estimated to be at the trifecta level of decline: city, county, and region. Visiting its downtown area, one would never guess that, especially at the city level, there are economic and crime issues.
I lived in Chicago, and you are trying your best to denigrate the city. There are areas, just as there are in any city with crime...you avoid those. The rest of the city is looking good, and the beautiful areas, are just as beautiful as they always were. I read the news, too, and I know that Illinois is struggling, but there are still PLENTY of wealthy people and neighborhoods in Chicago...there, nothing looks any different. It's not just downtown that's beautiful. The state might be broke, but if I lived there, that wouldn't mean I was broke, now does it?

Old 06-26-2017, 01:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
This whole thread is pure nonsense. In no way is downtown Philly larger than downtown Chicago.
Only on City Data would this even be a "discussion".

Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Only on City Data would this even be a "discussion".

Those darned Philly boosters!

It comes down to Chicago and San Francisco after New York, then you can talk some Philly.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
It's nonsense because Philly surpass Chicago in a population statistic?? Was it nonsense when Chicago moved ahead of Philly in population in 1890? Things change and time moves on. It's a fact that Philadelphia now has pass Chicago to become the 2nd largest downtown population in the US. Our downtown population is growing faster than Chicago. There is no need to feel bitter over Philly's success. Chicago is still a great city but now its downtown population has drop to 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City