Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 12:47 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times

Advertisements

That's not how it works.

If they upzone 100 acres for future downtown expansion, do you think downtown has suddenly grown by 100 acres? Of course it hasn't.

A downtown is defined subjectively and objectively by what exists in the real world, not by aspirations in a planning document.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 7,280 times
Anyone who thinks SF or CHIs downtown is bigger than Phillys has never been to Philly. Its really that simple. You can walk for hours from neighborhood to neighborhood in Philly and its all totally urban
I've been to all of these cities and I am from NYC, east village. Philly is the closest thing to nyc you will find in the US.

Chi is the most boring city I've ever been to. Its boring and Midwestern.

SF is also very boring and empty and the homeless there are violent and dangerous.

Philly is bigger, better, more vibrant, more of a melting pot, and much much more walkable than both SF and Chi.

And you don't realize this YOU HAVENT BEEN THERE.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:05 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasepleaseme View Post
Anyone who thinks SF or CHIs downtown is bigger than Phillys has never been to Philly. Its really that simple. You can walk for hours from neighborhood to neighborhood in Philly and its all totally urban
I've been to all of these cities and I am from NYC, east village. Philly is the closest thing to nyc you will find in the US.

SF is also very boring and empty and the homeless there are violent and dangerous.

Philly is bigger, better, more vibrant, more of a melting pot, and much much more walkable than both SF and Chi.

In street-grid, Grittiness, Attached Residential housing? Yes Philly is more East-coast style, feel and NYC flavor. No one denies this.....

All know about Philly's quaint, very old stock, low-rise, row-housing, Colonial era neighborhoods in it Center City boundaries and similar of Colonial and later eras in its Greater CC also.

But in Chicago's CBD no quaint blocks of row-housing unless you find high-rise, warehousing to lofts, and skyscraper living quaint?

What Chicago did gain in as NYC-like is a Manhattanizing of its core. From the high-rise living in its Gold Coast of the 60s 70s rise to 80s and today high-end skyscraper living second most after NYC in its CBD and certainly looks it as pictures can show.
Its CBD border officially is almost defined by where high-rise living is and ends. Exception is areas that continue high-rise living but NOT included in its official CBD. Like most of the Gold Coast lakefront neighborhood just north of it, the New Near Southside (unofficially) of a area of skyscrapers and high-rises just south and east of the Loop and Grant Park. It was built over rail-beds by air-rights in part.

Now just south of the Loop and official CBD is some new quaint town-housing very green and low-rise.

So it's in anyone opinion to claim a city's CBD is boring in architecture, activities, and housing too quaint or quiet? But of Chicago's CBD it:

- overall never ordinary or average
- won't get labeled quaint and homey
- certainly looks like a core and downtown

Chicago's CBD will gain generally terms as:

- grandiose and elegant NOT BORING
- with class and polished grit by restorations complete
- clean and value given to adding green and flowers to street-level.
- wider streets with architecture of the American skyscrapers evolution world renowned.
- a financial district second in the US and one of its shopping boulevards top three in the nation.

For Philly's CC you might get:

- very narrow street-grid not car friendly
- quaint neighborhoods with its Colonial era housing
- its shopping streets also narrow as not on a grand boulevard
- gritty and sometimes un-polished but great architecture throughout its core

Chicago comes across as more -- Grand, Classy, Elegant, Broad and Open Historic skyscraper American Architecture World Renowned, Wider streets still too much traffic in scope

Philly comes across as more -- Quaint, Gritty, Historic Early American Colonial Architecture, Great examples of 19th into 20th century architecture, with Neighborhoods of quaint residential row-housing, tight-knit streets walkable but more prone to grid-lock

These pictures give aspects of Chicago street-level vibrancy in traffic

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
DavePa, your pictures of Chicago are amazing. I love that city!

Old 07-01-2017, 10:56 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:

Yeah, no one takes you seriously.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:09 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:

LOl, sorry, but we see through your post.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Philly's downtown blends beautifully into the brownstones on the south, but that's not what I'd consider "downtown."

As much as I love Philly, I think its downtown might be slighly undersized for a city of six million. It's the best downtown in the country in some ways (narrow streets) but despite the new additions doesn't seem that huge.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 PM

35 posts, read 32,342 times
Love both cities. Two of my top 3 or 5 favorites.

I will say, there is much much much much more to Philadelphia's architecture than just Center City. Why does everyone only focus on Center City? Or assume outside of Center City that it's all row homes? It's not even close.

Get on Google Maps and streetview West Philly, North Philly and Northwest Philly.

Not. Even. Close.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:00 PM

306 posts, read 480,210 times
Quote:

Was just there last week. Probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard on city data and I have heard a lot.

I have never EVER met someone who has been downtown Chicago is real life who finds it boring. Architecture, museums, restaurants, parks, beaches, shopping, theatre. In all listed, Chicago is No. 1, 2., or 3. in the U.S.

Obvious troll post above and I took the bait, that said Philly is a fine city, but downtown is comparing Apples to Oranges.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:02 PM

306 posts, read 480,210 times
Oops, take that back on beaches, but as an urban beachfront it is probably No. 1 in the summer. Obviously beaches in year round and on the ocean in Florida and California much much better and used more.

But in regards to architecture, museums, restaurants, parks, shopping, theatre, as well as mass transit, it is in the Top 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City