Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM

4,086 posts, read 3,272,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
No, I get that The Loop is not what everyone may consider as downtown. But it is the only official measurement of downtown I have seen. Do you have another that is deemed as official? And please, don't provide a listing of census tracts that no one has ever even had the diligence to wrap up and display professionally on a website. At least the CCD did that, as easy as it was.

Btw, all caps does not make things easier to read. I suggest an afternoon scotch.
Using Caps just stresses a word or sentence. Color too. But some say too hard to read.

But since this thread went on a couple years and I posted this ..... well more then once.
Here is from Chicago's OFFICIAL city web-sight. WHAT IS ITS CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT (CBD).

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw

I PERSONALLY, would extend it to include the Gold Coast north of top of map, with even Old Town. South at the bottom of the screen South Loop to 18th St where Chinatown begins. That stretch isn't continuous till the last Big undeveloped former industrial tract is completed as a new high-rise neighborhood over 10 years.

Neighborhoods included:
- Loop
- New East Side
- Streeterville
- River North
- part of West Loop to block west of Kennedy Expressway.
- 2-blocks into the Gold Coast

If you limit Chicago's core to the Loop??? All below would be excluded.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,907,516 times
What defines a downtown? Skyscrapers exist all over Manhattan, but all of Manhattan is not necessarily downtown. Philadelphia lacks skyscrapers throughout most of Society Hill, but it is certainly part of Center City/downtown.

Chicago's downtown is undeniably larger in appearance, land area, etc. No question.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 PM

157 posts, read 188,288 times
Quote:
No, I get that The Loop is not what everyone may consider as downtown. But it is the only official measurement of downtown I have seen. Do you have another that is deemed as official?
I'll post this again. The city of Chicago has a "official CBD." Here is the link and the map. It includes The Loop, South Loop, West Loop, Streeterville and River North.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...sdistrict.html

You can find it as the top Google result for "Chicago CBD":

I'm not sure the exact population, as it is not listed on the city website, but somewhere between 180K and 240K live in this CBD.

And the Chicago Central Area is another official designation, and is a bit broader and better encompasses the residential core, where the CBD is, by definition, more focused on business as opposed to residential.
http://ccac.org/
Official City of Chicago Central Area Plan:
http://www.cct.org/wp-content/upload...eaPlan2003.pdf

Last edited by tkz4; 08-01-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkz4 View Post
I'll post this again. The city of Chicago has a "official CBD." Here is the link and the map. It includes The Loop, South Loop, West Loop, Streeterville and River North.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...sdistrict.html

You can find it as the top Google result for "Chicago CBD":

I'm not sure the exact population, as it is not listed on the city website, but somewhere between 180K and 240K live in this CBD.
I think I remember you posting this (so many pages). Thanks for sharing again.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM

4,086 posts, read 3,272,051 times
Quote:
What defines a downtown? Skyscrapers exist all over Manhattan, but all of Manhattan is not necessarily downtown. Philadelphia lacks skyscrapers throughout most of Society Hill, but it is certainly part of Center City/downtown.

Chicago's downtown is undeniably larger in appearance, land area, etc. No question.
All Manhattan is its CBD. Midtown and Lower Manhattan too. But originally, downtown was used ONLY for Lower Manhattan. But its common usage in the US is the city's WHOLE CBD today. So ALL Manhattan is its Downtown, Core, CBD.

But the CBD Central Business District is downtown ... except by the census. As to try to use a uniform region for all large cites. This 2-mile radius was created.

Chicago at least list a official CBD. If you go by Google street-view? You get the Loop or area south of the Chicago river including the New East Side to the lake. It includes its parks but not its Museum Campus with Solder Field even.

Downtown Chicago by Google-street-view

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...!4d-87.6250549

Such is this dilemma. But the city still has the official CBD border that is a minimum.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:20 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,054,380 times
Quote:
What defines a downtown? Skyscrapers exist all over Manhattan, but all of Manhattan is not necessarily downtown.
Personally I always considered New York City's downtown area to be Lower Manhattan and Midtown. Once you reach Central Park, you're basically out of the downtown area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-73.9840195

Old 08-01-2017, 01:26 PM

157 posts, read 188,288 times
Actually want to correct myself. 240K live in the Chicago Central Area. Not exactly sure the population of the official CBD, but it is going to be less than that. Maybe more in the 160-180k range given you are excluding parts of the Near West Side and South Loop that are in the Central area but not the CBD.

But between the Loop, CBD and Central Area... I can see why there is confusion. And I would not even venture into a discussion of NYC "downtown."

To me at least, the question is how many people are living a downtown lifestyle in contiguous areas with the commercial center of a city. And then of course raises questions of what is contiguous. Does having to walk across a bridge make it no longer contiguous... and waht size bridge (Michigan Ave(DuSable Bridge) vs Brooklyn Bridge is quite different.) So I sort of can get why this thread never ends.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,204,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
All Manhattan is its CBD. Midtown and Lower Manhattan too. But originally, downtown was used ONLY for Lower Manhattan. But its common usage in the US is the city's WHOL CBD. So ALL Manhattan is its Downtown, Core, CBD.

But the CBD Central Business District is downtown ... except by the census. As to try to use a uniform region for all large cites. This 2-mile radius was created.

Chicago at least list a official CBD. If you go by Google street-view? You get the Loop or area south of the Chicago river including the New East Side to the lake. It includes its parks but not its Museum Campus with Solder Field even.

Such is this dilemma. But the city still has the official border that is a minimum.
Uh no, definitely not. Inwood, Washington Heights and Harlem are definitely not the CBD. There are large employers in those areas (Columbia U, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, State Government etc.), but they're definitely not the CBD. Even wealthy places above 59th St are not considered Midtown, and thus are not part of the CBD.

Manhattan's CBDs are Midtown (59th St to 14th at its most broad) and Downtown (14th Street to New York Harbor). Downtown Brooklyn is also a CBD, as is Long Island City in Queens. Smaller business districts would be places like The Hub, Downtown Flushing, Downtown Jamaica and 125th Street in Harlem. But to say all of Manhattan is a CBD is not true. All of Manhattan maybe the core of the entire New York Metropolitan Area (still debatable), but not all of Manhattan is a CBD.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,204,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Personally I always considered New York City's downtown area to be Lower Manhattan and Midtown. Once you reach Central Park, you're basically out of the downtown area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-73.9840195
This.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
All Manhattan is its CBD. Midtown and Lower Manhattan too. But originally, downtown was used ONLY for Lower Manhattan. But its common usage in the US is the city's WHOLE CBD today. So ALL Manhattan is its Downtown, Core, CBD.

Downtown Chicago by Google-street-view

Such is this dilemma. But the city still has the official CBD border that is a minimum.
Not only is a CBD and a downtown not the same thing, Manhattan is not NYC's downtown nor is it all considered a CBD.

New York City

https://www.nycedc.com/service/centr...ness-districts

Why New York City has two economic centers - Business Insider

Some of the many areas not in CBDs and not considered downtown in Manhattan: All of upper Manhattan, Hudson Yards, Chelsea, Flatiron District, Meatpacking District, Union Square, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City