Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 02:51 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's interesting the distance between Chicago and Milwaukee affects them so much after you just finished explaining your theory on in state competition, according to you, but they're in separate states so therefore they shouldn't have much competition right? Since most schools mainly recruit in state, I'm sure it's rare for Milwaukee grads to go to Chicago and vice versa.

Huge gap in population? The big gap exists between Milwaukee and Chicago my friend.

Chicago is about 9.7 million metro
Milwaukee is about 1.6 million metro

Indianapolis is about 1.9 million metro
Louisville is about 1.2 million metro.

Tell me which has a smaller gap.

Driving distance it's 1 hour and 48 minutes from downtown Indy to downtown Louisville. It's also 1 hour and 30 minutes,(according to google maps) subject to traffic...could be over 2 hours, from downtown Milwaukee to downtown Chicago.
I don't the mean actual numbers. I mean the continuous urban/built up area. There isn't a giant break in population between Chicago and Milwaukee like there is between Louisville and Indy.

But again, none of you have given me an answer. I provide a theory, you refute it. I'm not gonna get into arguing back because the only thing anyone does is argue my points back. If you have an answer, tell me. If not, this is my theory. You clearly don't believe it. And this thread is clearly going nowhere because nobody has an answer and every single theory has been shot down with some level of hostility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:49 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
jessemh431, ,since you mentioned OSU my youngest sister graduated from there and did not stay in Ohio to work in any of the 3 C's. She moved to Chicago and is working and living there now. I'm sure any of the 3 C's would love to have her after graduation to help meet the demands for the local job markets in Ohio but Chicago was the competition for her talent. People work and go to school in many different areas of the country but not everyone remains in those states to work after graduation. The people who go to the IVY Tech Schools on the Indiana side just outside of both Cincy and Louisville will likely work in those cities than they would in Indianapolis or to another state and city all together. These schools are in "Indiana" but yet these border metro cities do compete for these students after graduation and some who live on the Indiana side do not always go to Indianapolis after graduation. There are no absolutes and a one size fits all for grouping an entire population based on some opinionated theory. That would be inconclusive because you then leave out the other people who don't always remain in the state they are in. I've just listed some examples which are factual. This happens every day. Why do I know this? because I travel and work outside Indianapolis on a daily basis. Example I'm Chicago or Louisville one day and back in Indy that very same day. Yet, I don't live in IL or Kentucky but reside in Indy. Nothing says everything is done in just one area of the state. Not everyone who lives and works in Indianapolis are always in Indianapolis. Again why do I know this? I'm living proof of something you can't refute because it's factually happens every week and your theory of someone who makes up part of the Indianapolis population then becomes irrelevant at that point. Also I'm not the only one in the state who does this.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:05 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't the mean actual numbers. I mean the continuous urban/built up area. There isn't a giant break in population between Chicago and Milwaukee like there is between Louisville and Indy.

But again, none of you have given me an answer. I provide a theory, you refute it. I'm not gonna get into arguing back because the only thing anyone does is argue my points back. If you have an answer, tell me. If not, this is my theory. You clearly don't believe it. And this thread is clearly going nowhere because nobody has an answer and every single theory has been shot down with some level of hostility.
So because there is pretty continuous development and population in between Milwaukee and Chicago they actually DO compete with each other, EVEN though they are out of state and you just finished saying how most college graduates are recruited in state.

It's funny that Indy to Cincy doesn't count because they are out of state, but Milwaukee to Chicago is a basis for your argument and they ARE out of state.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Not sure what the debate is at this point. It's already been shown that Indy is NOT that much higher than most of its peers, and is actually below some. The thread was tailored for a certain response that it didn't really deserve.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not sure what the debate is at this point. It's already been shown that Indy is NOT that much higher than most of its peers, and is actually below some. The thread was tailored for a certain response that it didn't really deserve.
You keep saying that and acting like $14 to $20 billion is a small amount, considering Indy is smaller in population that the next 8 cities following it in GDP. What else do you have?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
So because there is pretty continuous development and population in between Milwaukee and Chicago they actually DO compete with each other, EVEN though they are out of state and you just finished saying how most college graduates are recruited in state.

It's funny that Indy to Cincy doesn't count because they are out of state, but Milwaukee to Chicago is a basis for your argument and they ARE out of state.
That's right. Competition is literally everywhere when you think of it. Even Chicago is in competition for residents and businesses with it's own surrounding suburbs let alone Milwaukee or Indianapolis. (ie In 1993, Sears moved it's headquarters from the former Sears Tower in the city of Chicago to Hoffman Esates). As a result, something like this could affect any city's GDP outside it's boundaries within the state or regionally or nationally. No city would be immune from competition with another city. Now if Sears were to move it's headquarters from Hoffman Estates to Indianapolis instead of Columbus,OH after holding a competition bid this would help benefit the Circle City's GDP. I'm just using this as an example not that this would actually happen. Come to think of it Sears could have moved to Milwaukee instead of Hoffman taking it's labor talent along with it.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
You keep saying that and acting like $14 to $20 billion is a small amount, considering Indy is smaller in population that the next 8 cities following it in GDP. What else do you have?
Again, you never really answered what you mean by "following it". Do you mean those metros with a lower GDP? If so, are those actual peers, or did you just look at a descending order of GDP? From the list you gave, not all of them are actual population peers, and you left out peers with large GDPs, so it wasn't a complete list to begin with, and I think that was intentional. You also failed to address GDP growth or per-capita, which in the near-longer term, is every bit as important because the order can change pretty quickly. That $14-$20 billion can be covered in just a few years. So it's not what else do I have, but what else do you have? The entire purpose of this thread is either an incorrect assumption or based on a carefully manipulated list. Which is it?

Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Again, you never really answered what you mean by "following it". Do you mean those metros with a lower GDP? If so, are those actual peers, or did you just look at a descending order of GDP? From the list you gave, not all of them are actual population peers, and you left out peers with large GDPs, so it wasn't a complete list to begin with, and I think that was intentional. You also failed to address GDP growth or per-capita, which in the near-longer term, is every bit as important because the order can change pretty quickly. That $14-$20 billion can be covered in just a few years. So it's not what else do I have, but what else do you have? The entire purpose of this thread is either an incorrect assumption or based on a carefully manipulated list. Which is it?
Or maybe he just looked at the Indianapolis GDP and noticed some cities below it and thought, "hmm, why is Indianapolis higher than these cities? I would not have expected that."

I supposed I could do the same for a lot of cities. Not because I want to make one city look good on city data (lol), but because maybe I want to gain some intellectual insights.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It seems that you have a problem with Indianapolis being above those cities on the list. What's wrong with the reality of the fact he posted? He didn't make up the list. Also no one knows what may happen in the future with the cities (peer or no peer) but what actually counts is where Indianapolis ranks on the list right now compared to the other cities regardless. You can argue against that fact all day long but the list is what it is. The fact that Columbus ranks below Indianapolis right now in GDP shouldn't bother you. You can speculate all you want. However, opinions aren't facts.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
So what's the point of this thread anymore? Nobody has an answer and all theories are deemed false. Where is this thread going? You're all content that Indy is more successful than some of its peers. Now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City