Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 07:37 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
But the metros that Indy may be smaller than are not its only peers. And Tampa isn't even a peer. It's being very selective to get a specific result, and that's not how this works. You're also making excuses for why Indy may not be #1. It's okay not to be. What does cost of living have to do with economic output, specifically?
Well when the original post states 25th it is safe to assume no one means #1, now the 8 cities the city itself benchmarks against are all in that range, pbg may be the largest though as I can't remember the 8 off the top of my head but def Pitt, cbus, cle, con, maybe Charlotte and can't remember the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
But the metros that Indy may be smaller than are not its only peers. And Tampa isn't even a peer. It's being very selective to get a specific result, and that's not how this works. You're also making excuses for why Indy may not be #1. It's okay not to be. What does cost of living have to do with economic output, specifically?
When you want to throw GDP per capita out there that means very little when you're talking cost of living, where the minimum wage in Indiana is $7.25 an hour and in San Jose it's at LEAST at the state level of $9 an hour. Wages are higher in San Jose, one because it's a tech hub, and secondly cause it's ridiculously expensive to live there, where Indianapolis is routinely voted one of the cheapest large cities to live in.

It's not being selective, I selected the 8 cities that follow Indianapolis in GDP and merely noticed that Indianapolis is considerably smaller than some and marginally smaller than a few and still maintains a significantly higher GDP than them.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
What about the job factors? In nearly every other city/state we're discussing, there's a larger or comparable job market. Companies and certain branches of larger companies will generally be recruiting from universities within their own state, and with state pride, I bet a lot of people wish to stay in their own state. In Ohio, businesses in all 3 Cs would recruit from Ohio State, UC, etc. Sacramento competes with some of the largest job centers and economies in the world.

These were the cities listed before:
San Jose: competes with SF, LA, SD
Portland: not a huge competition, but also is there a big dominant industry at all here?
Charlotte: biggest city in the state, but sizable populations in the Research Triangle where better universities are located
Pittsburgh: Philly
Indianapolis: no competition
Cleveland: Cin and Col
Cincinnati: Cle and Col
Kansas City: STL
Columbus: Cin and Cle
Orlando: Miami and Tampa
Sacramento: SF, SJ, LA, SD
Austin: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
Nashville: not sure, but Memphis is a good size city too
San Antonio: Austin, Dallas, Houston
Milwaukee: basically an extension of Chicago
Las Vegas: does anyone actually move here for real jobs?
Virginia Beach: big military town no? Major population and wealth center is the DC burbs
Providence: RI gets forgotten about in general and Boston and Hartford are pretty close

I think a lot of those just have such strong competition from within their own state, it makes the GDP and wealth spread out more evenly. Indy attracts a huge chunk of employees and wealth for the entire state with no other truly stand out city in the state.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:43 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What about the job factors? In nearly every other city/state we're discussing, there's a larger or comparable job market. Companies and certain branches of larger companies will generally be recruiting from universities within their own state, and with state pride, I bet a lot of people wish to stay in their own state. In Ohio, businesses in all 3 Cs would recruit from Ohio State, UC, etc. Sacramento competes with some of the largest job centers and economies in the world.

Portland: not a huge competition, but also is there a big dominant industry at all here?
Charlotte: biggest city in the state, but sizable populations in the Research Triangle where better universities are located
Virginia Beach: big military town no? Major population and wealth center is the DC burbs
Providence: RI gets forgotten about in general and Boston and Hartford are pretty close

I think a lot of those just have such strong competition from within their own state, it makes the GDP and wealth spread out more evenly. Indy attracts a huge chunk of employees and wealth for the entire state with no other truly stand out city in the state.
What are you all going to come up with next? You know that list is pure well bull. Regional companies may recruit regionally (within a few hours) local small business tends to be strictly local. Fortune 500's search worldwide. State has nothing to do with it. You realize pbg and Philly job markets are 5 hours apart? Kc and stl are 4 hours. You might as well say Indy and stl because well, they are 4 hours as well. Chicago and Indy generally cross over at west Lafayette courting Purdue students and each advertises in the others market. Milwaukee is not just an extension of Chicago. Like saying Louisville is an ext of Indy because of the distance. Geez!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:48 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

Is this a serious post?

Indianapolis is 113 miles from Louisville
Indianapolis is 114 miles from Cincinnati
Indianapolis is 175 miles from Columbus
Indianapolis is 182 miles from Chicago.

You realize Indy is closer to all of those cities than the majority of the ones you listed?

Tampa to Miami 280 miles
Nashville to Memphis 213 miles
Kansas city to St. Louis 248 miles
Philadelphia to Pittsburgh 306 miles

Can you stop with this "in state competition' garbage? Indy is FAR closer to several major cities than these in state ones you posted. No relevance whatsoever.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Nobody is refuting what I said though. Just mileage stuff. Being in the state DOES matter. Besides the undisputed top universities that get recruited from all over the country, most smaller or lower ranked universities mainly land students in jobs within their respective states. I go to school in Louisville. Nearly everyone in KY gets a job in KY unless they actively and seriously seek employment in Indy, Chicago, or Cincinnati. You don't think between the 3 Cs there are enough jobs for Ohio State grads?

Being in state DOES matter. Law firms are the easiest to represent this. Each state has its own bar exam. So being 1 mile away over the river in Indiana doesn't mean anything. You're still in Indiana and still not in KY to work in Louisville. Members of the KY bar 1 mile away over the river from Cincinnati still can't work there. Only in KY. It's much easier to move to Indy and work there than take another bar exam and work in Louisville. KC and STL compete for law jobs. The 3 Cs compete for law jobs. All of the states have in state competition for law jobs except Indy.

Aside from law, still a lot of employers in state recruit from their in state universities. UK and UofL grads from NKY, except for the best of the best grads, are usually employed in NKY, Louisville, or Lexington. The NKY residents don't get hired as much in Cincinnati. At least that's my observation. Aside from the northern part of the state of Indiana that has Chicago's influence, the rest of the state's economic activity is mainly tied to Indianapolis. The suburbs of Louisville have a tie to Louisville, but Louisville is also smaller than Indy. Evansville is tiny. A lot of people do like staying in their own states for one reason or another. The best paying jobs will most likely be in the largest city in the state, Indianapolis. So, a large portion of high paying jobs would be there. Like in CA, the highest paying jobs are in SF and LA, not Sac.

And Milwaukee and Chicago are so connected you can't deny that. There may be a tiny break in population between the two, but Milwaukee is like an echo of Chicago. Louisville and Indianapolis have a huge gap in population. Chicago and Milwaukee not so much. Chicago spreads out forever and is a giant city. Louisville and Indianapolis are small cities.

I don't see why distance matters tbh.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:26 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Well when the original post states 25th it is safe to assume no one means #1, now the 8 cities the city itself benchmarks against are all in that range, pbg may be the largest though as I can't remember the 8 off the top of my head but def Pitt, cbus, cle, con, maybe Charlotte and can't remember the rest.
The thread title is about peer cities, not every metro nationally. Peer metros would be those I gave, not just those a bit smaller, but some a bit larger as well.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
When you want to throw GDP per capita out there that means very little when you're talking cost of living, where the minimum wage in Indiana is $7.25 an hour and in San Jose it's at LEAST at the state level of $9 an hour. Wages are higher in San Jose, one because it's a tech hub, and secondly cause it's ridiculously expensive to live there, where Indianapolis is routinely voted one of the cheapest large cities to live in.

It's not being selective, I selected the 8 cities that follow Indianapolis in GDP and merely noticed that Indianapolis is considerably smaller than some and marginally smaller than a few and still maintains a significantly higher GDP than them.
GDP per capita is not the same thing as wages, though. It's just taking the GDP and dividing it by the population, which just means the average economic output per person. It doesn't mean the average take-home wage is $60K a year. They're two different things, so you would have to look up actual wages per metro to factor in cost of living. I have no doubt that San Jose has a higher cost of living than Indy, but that's not GDP.

I don't know what you mean by following Indy in GDP. If you mean those metros that were somewhat close in GDP, why did you mysteriously leave out those that were somewhat close, but HIGHER in GDP, than Indianapolis?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM

35,076 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
What are you all going to come up with next? You know that list is pure well bull. Regional companies may recruit regionally (within a few hours) local small business tends to be strictly local. Fortune 500's search worldwide. State has nothing to do with it. You realize pbg and Philly job markets are 5 hours apart? Kc and stl are 4 hours. You might as well say Indy and stl because well, they are 4 hours as well. Chicago and Indy generally cross over at west Lafayette courting Purdue students and each advertises in the others market. Milwaukee is not just an extension of Chicago. Like saying Louisville is an ext of Indy because of the distance. Geez!
It's not really the distance, but "sphere of influence."

Indianapolis is far and away the biggest metro in the state. There is really no competition for it with other state metros (excluding Chicagoland), which consist mainly of small metros and fairly far flung mid-size metros, Evansville and Ft. Wayne. Living in the Indy metro, I seldom know what happens around Ft. Wayne, and never Evansville.

Indy is surrounded by a ring of suburbs, and further out, a lot of small towns that don't have substantial. For all those folks, Indy is really the "city of reference." I don't see how this gets disputed.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's not really the distance, but "sphere of influence."

Indianapolis is far and away the biggest metro in the state. There is really no competition for it with other state metros (excluding Chicagoland), which consist mainly of small metros and fairly far flung mid-size metros, Evansville and Ft. Wayne. Living in the Indy metro, I seldom know what happens around Ft. Wayne, and never Evansville.

Indy is surrounded by a ring of suburbs, and further out, a lot of small towns that don't have substantial. For all those folks, Indy is really the "city of reference." I don't see how this gets disputed.
That's what I've been trying to say. Indianapolis basically runs the state of Indiana. Most other premiere cities of states are much bigger and better. Atlanta, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Portland (OR), Seattle, etc. But even they have competition. Augusta and Savannah. Amherst maybe, but Boston runs the state. Buffalo, Albany, Rochester. U-C maybe? No competition to Portland. Spokane runs eastern Washington. But again, even though some of those don't have any true competitors for the state's sphere of influence (ATL, Boston, Chicago, NYC), there is still some competition and the cities are more important than Indy. For being the premier of the state, Indy is not that great. Its sphere of influence spreads everywhere though except near Chicago and near Louisville. University graduates from all parts of the state usually get the best jobs in Indy. In Ohio, the 3 Cs all compete. In FL, after Miami, Tampa and Orlando compete as job centers. Just because FSU is in northern FL doesn't mean its grads don't go to Miami. I'm sure more FSU grads end up in Miami than in nearby Alabama and Georgia. Because it's in state. University of Illinois will go back to Chicago. Penn State grads get pulled to either side of the state. The job influence does matter. Idk why people say it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City