Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times

Advertisements

What states are friendly in your opinion, and which are not? By friendly I mean that it's considered normal to talk to strangers and relatively easy to make good friends.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:11 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
On this subject I speak for all 40 million Californians in the 163,696 mi² area, and the answer is I dunno because we have 40 million people in a 163,696 mi² area and I've only come across a few million of them...

Old 05-14-2015, 10:34 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Most Friendly top and bottom five:

Most friendly in no particular order:

Minnesota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Washington, Colorado

Honorable Mention: Kentucky

Most unfriendly in no particular order:

New York, New Jersey, Florida, Ohio, California

Dishonorable Mention: Indiana

Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
On this subject I speak for all 40 million Californians in the 163,696 mi² area, and the answer is I dunno because we have 40 million people in a 163,696 mi² area and I've only come across a few million of them...
Yeah, I am a native Californian (haven't lived there since the 90s, though) and I think it's a pretty unfriendly state overall, though it depends on where.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
This type of thread has been done so many times, and it's impossible to say.

There are friendly and unfriendly people everywhere. What can be perceived as unfriendliness or extra friendliness can simply be a cultural difference between regions. People in NJ tend to not converse with random strangers out on the street, on line at the grocery store or Target, or at a restaurant or something. But we smile at one another, hold doors, and help each other out when in need - yes even strangers depending on the situation. Our lifestyle and way of life doesn't make us see the need to be outwardly talkative with people because we're busy. But that doesn't make us unfriendly.

Some of the nicest, most genuine people I have met were from New York City and New Jersey. To me, exaggerated niceness or someone who is overtly polite, like you'd more likely find in the South, is just fake. I don't see it as friendly, I see it as dumb. Unless you're waiting on me or work in a store or hotel or something, any service industry, there's no need for it. So I'm not impressed by that so called friendliness - I genuinely don't see the need for it because the culture of my area is not like this. Do what you want, but don't insult me for not being like that and call me unfriendly. At least I can understand it's a cultural difference and be okay with that rather than labeling people of an entire state friendly/unfriendly when there are all types of people everywhere.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Most Friendly top and bottom five:

Most friendly in no particular order:

Minnesota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Washington, Colorado

Honorable Mention: Kentucky

Most unfriendly in no particular order:

New York, New Jersey
, Florida, Ohio, California

Dishonorable Mention: Indiana
But this response ^ isn't totally typical, and stereotypical, right? It's totally stereotyped by region. I'm not allowed to challenge that?

yourself.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,351 times
Friendly states are Texas, Vermont, Georgia, North Carolina, West Virginia.

Least friendly is Florida, California, Ohio.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:52 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
To me, exaggerated niceness or someone who is overtly polite, like you'd more likely find in the South, is just fake. I don't see it as friendly, I see it as dumb. Unless you're waiting on me or work in a store or hotel or something, any service industry, there's no need for it.
Okay, you totally had me until this - but I have to say you are very wrong.

It isn't 'fake' at all. And to call it dumb is insulting. Just like your post upthread where you stated locals in your area are too busy to exchange pleasantries with strangers, the opposite is true here. We're just as busy, but the overall culture is different and not as insular.

It is actually considered quite normal here for some to enjoy chatting up strangers, store clerks, etc. in random everyday life. If you smile at someone on the street here, chances are they will smile back. If you're too busy and don't feel like interacting, it's not an issue. But if you are open to it, it's part of the quality of life here and many of us treasure it.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:48 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Yeah, I am a native Californian (haven't lived there since the 90s, though) and I think it's a pretty unfriendly state overall, though it depends on where.
Tell me about it. Californians can start moving to another state or region and soon that entire area starts to become unfriendly, just like them (looking at you, Northern Dallas suburbs).

Last edited by NoClueWho; 05-15-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 06:52 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
I don't get the whole "NYC people are rude" stereotype.

I'm from the South and I think most New Yorkers are super friendly. Especially in the non-Manhattan boroughs. You can be from anywhere in the world and walk around Brooklyn and the people there will make you feel right at home, as if they have known you for years.

New Yorkers are MUCH more authentic and down to Earth than the average Californian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.