Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hartford vs Albany
Hartford 14 45.16%
Albany 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How is the percentage 39%, when the difference of the metros isn't even a third of Hartford's metro?
It's not hard. I'm using your numbers to do some very simple math:

Quote:
I know this, but it isn't "much" larger and Albany's metro is more like 870-880,000. Albany is a part of a region of 1.2 million as well.
If Albany's metro is 870,000 and Hartford's is 1,212,000, that's a difference of 342,000. 342,000 divided by Albany's metro pop (870,000) is .39310345. Or to put it in percentages, 39.31%. Hartford's metro is more than 39% larger than Albany's.

Quote:
Also, a difference between a CSA that is 1.5 million is much different than one that is 1.2 million? Come on, man.....lol
Using the same math as above, 300,000 people is 25% of Albany's 1.2 Million people. If Albany all of a sudden grew by 25% we'd say it's a HUGE increase in people. No, 300,000 people isn't a ton of people on a national level, but it's a lot relative to the Capital Region's 1.2 Million. Hell, it's 1/4 of the population!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 AM

93,232 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's not hard. I'm using your numbers to do some very simple math:

If Albany's metro is 870,000 and Hartford's is 1,212,000, that's a difference of 342,000. 342,000 divided by Albany's metro pop (870,000) is .39310345. Or to put it in percentages, 39.31%. Hartford's metro is more than 39% larger than Albany's.

Using the same math as above, 300,000 people is 25% of Albany's 1.2 Million people. If Albany all of a sudden grew by 25% we'd say it's a HUGE increase in people. No, 300,000 people isn't a ton of people on a national level, but it's a lot relative to the Capital Region's 1.2 Million. Hell, it's 1/4 of the population!
Why are you using the Albany area numbers instead of the Hartford area numbers to get the difference? It wouldn't make sense to divide the difference into the smaller metro. It is actually a 28% difference.

I understand what you are saying, but 1.5 million and 1.2 million isn't that big of a difference and there are other factors to consider in the comparison.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 AM

538 posts, read 658,403 times
Quote:
Why are you using the Albany area numbers instead of the Hartford area numbers to get the difference? It wouldn't make sense to divide the difference into the smaller metro. It is actually a 28% difference.

I understand what you are saying, but 1.5 million and 1.2 million isn't that big of a difference and there are other factors to consider in the comparison.
Still, over 1/4 of the population at these numbers is a big deal.

And as a native NYer, it is better for the state when Albany is prospering as a city

Old 05-28-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Because that's how you calculate percent more than. Here's a good resource on calculating these things (look at number 4- the toothpaste example). If I'm calculating how much bigger Hartford is than Albany, I find the total difference (342,000) and divide that number by the population of my subject (Albany). So I'm right when I say Hartford is 39% larger than Albany because I'm using Albany as the subject. You're not wrong to say Albany is 28% smaller than Hartford either. However, you're using Hartford as the subject there.

For me the "other factors" are feel. Albany feels a lot smaller than Hartford in my experience.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Because that's how you calculate percent more than. Here's a good resource on calculating these things (look at number 4- the toothpaste example). If I'm calculating how much bigger Hartford is than Albany, I find the total difference (342,000) and divide that number by the population of my subject (Albany). So I'm right when I say Hartford is 39% larger than Albany because I'm using Albany as the subject. You're not wrong to say Albany is 28% smaller than Hartford either. However, you're using Hartford as the subject there.

For me the "other factors" are feel. Albany feels a lot smaller than Hartford in my experience.
Exactly, the 'other factors' give Hartford a huge advantage over Albany

Old 05-28-2015, 12:06 PM

93,232 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Exactly, the 'other factors' give Hartford a huge advantage over Albany
It does? Albany has a lower crime rate in terms of city and metro, has a range of urban options along with nice suburban areas, a growing tech sector, it is basically a wash in terms of educational attainment, better if you like mountains and schools are probably a wash. I'm not saying it is "much" better, but Albany is comparably favorable in many metrics, in comparison.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It does? Albany has a lower crime rate in terms of city and metro, has a range of urban options along with nice suburban areas, a growing tech sector, it is basically a wash in terms of educational attainment, better if you like mountains and schools are probably a wash. I'm not saying it is "much" better, but Albany is comparably favorable in many metrics, in comparison.
Hartford's suburbs are top-of-the-line 'burbs, mainly because that is what CT is known for.

Also, Hartford dominates one field (insurance), not sure Albany does that

Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Schenectady has the Stockade neighborhood:
http://goo.gl/maps/z2n7h

Stockade Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also some Victorians along the Union Street corridor in Schenectady as well. http://uniontriangle.org

Another example I posted earlier in the thread was from Cohoes.
I wasn't saying that Schenectady wasn't an city with any urban neighborhoods, but the built structure is more similar to a New England city (or Rochester or Buffalo) than the other cities in the Capital region, which all have dense rowhouse neighborhoods.

Cohoes is another small city which is similar, which I did miss. Few people outside of the Capital Region would know it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
Outside of Center Square isn't that basically what Albany is too? (could be wrong, I'm not super familiar with Albany)
Albany has a lot of other rowhouse neighborhoods, just not desirable ones. Some examples here, here, here, and here.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:32 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,216 times
These two cities make a good case for comparison.
Having grown up in the Berkshires and in and out of Albany and Hartford for years, I'd say that Hartford seems a good deal larger. The Springfield metro area and New Haven metro areas are very close to Hartford and Hartford is on a main road connection between NYC and Boston. More transportation options. I've always found that there are more flights in and out of Bradley for me than Albany.
Also better shopping, more sprawl.

Hartford has a really challenged downtown, not attractive. Albany does have a beautiful historic district, however we have Nelson Rockefellar to blame for blasting a hole in Albany's downtown 50 yrs ago.

I'm not sure that Hartford has anything in its reach as attractive as Saratoga near Albany though. It's a real gem and a draw. As well as Lake George. Unless you consider the CT shore.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post

I'm not sure that Hartford has anything in its reach as attractive as Saratoga near Albany though.
How would you compare Northampton to Saratoga Springs? I've never been to Saratoga Springs, but I have been to Northampton and find it to be quite appealing. On paper, there appear to be similarities. Not sure how that translates to real life though. I'd wager the area around Saratoga Springs is prettier, but Northampton isn't exactly in an ugly spot either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City