Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hartford vs Albany
Hartford 14 45.16%
Albany 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times

Advertisements

I was just in Schenectady for a wedding (actually Scotia, NY) and have become very fond of the Albany region, visiting friends many times over the years.

Albany itself has such great architecture-love the rowhomes downtown, even if some parts need to be better taken care of. Troy and Schenectady seem to be in worse shape, but I still love the urbanity and coming from Philly the architecture seems so familiar yet somehow different to me. Of course Saratoga and Lake George are beautiful areas close by as well. I really enjoy the people from these parts of NY.

I'm not as familiar with Hartford, but my favorite city in CT is New Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Numbers don't tell the whole story, anyway. As someone who is completely unbiased (I don't have a preference for either, really), Hartford feels quite a bit larger. The Capital Corridor may have 1.2 Million people, but it's significantly spread out and still doesn't make Albany feel as large as Hartford. You have to also take into account that Hartford's MSA may be 1.2 Million but that number doesn't include the Springfield area (downtown Springfield is less than 25 miles from Downtown Hartford). The Knowledge Corridor, or Hartford-Springfield area, is just as cohesive as the "Capital Corridor" in New York and has around 2 Million people. No matter how you slice it, Hartford is the larger city and area. And it feels that way to any unbiased person who has spent time in both cities.
Hmm. The Hartford area does feel more populated. But it's not really because Hartford itself is larger (though it is) but because the metro contains a long stretch of older towns mixed in with newer development. To me, it's not so much Hartford suburbs but the lower Connecticut River Valley.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:20 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I wasn't saying that Schenectady wasn't an city with any urban neighborhoods, but the built structure is more similar to a New England city (or Rochester or Buffalo) than the other cities in the Capital region, which all have dense rowhouse neighborhoods.

Cohoes is another small city which is similar, which I did miss. Few people outside of the Capital Region would know it exists.

Albany has a lot of other rowhouse neighborhoods, just not desirable ones. Some examples here, here, here, and here.
Oh, I know. It just reminded me that there are some undeniably urban neighborhoods in that city.

Yeah, in Albany, Arbor Hill, West Hill and the South End are the roughest neighborhoods in the city, but for the nice rowhouses, look around Washington Park/ Center Square. This is the Pastures neighborhood just south of Downtown Albany: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...e728c4!6m1!1e1

Old 06-06-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I was just in Schenectady for a wedding (actually Scotia, NY) and have become very fond of the Albany region, visiting friends many times over the years.

Albany itself has such great architecture-love the rowhomes downtown, even if some parts need to be better taken care of. Troy and Schenectady seem to be in worse shape, but I still love the urbanity and coming from Philly the architecture seems so familiar yet somehow different to me. Of course Saratoga and Lake George are beautiful areas close by as well. I really enjoy the people from these parts of NY.

I'm not as familiar with Hartford, but my favorite city in CT is New Haven.
Scotia is literally across the Mohawk River from this Schenectady neighborhood, which seems to be right up your alley: //www.city-data.com/forum/39792461-post39.html

Old 06-06-2015, 05:54 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Scotia is literally across the Mohawk River from this Schenectady neighborhood, which seems to be right up your alley: //www.city-data.com/forum/39792461-post39.html
Nice! Yeah, that area is right where I stayed in Schenectady for the wedding.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:45 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,216 times
Although I might tilt towards Hartford in some ways because of its convenient location, the more I think about it, the Albany area has far more geographic interest and variety. It lies in an attractive river valley. The Adirondack, Berkshire, and Catskill Mountains are all a short ride away. Saratoga Lake, Lake George, Sacandaga Lake are nearby. As well as the bucolic charm of Columbia and Washington (Grandma Moses country) counties.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:09 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Although I might tilt towards Hartford in some ways because of its convenient location, the more I think about it, the Albany area has far more geographic interest and variety. It lies in an attractive river valley. The Adirondack, Berkshire, and Catskill Mountains are all a short ride away. Saratoga Lake, Lake George, Sacandaga Lake are nearby. As well as the bucolic charm of Columbia and Washington (Grandma Moses country) counties.
Albany is fairly convenient.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7076...kA!2e0!6m1!1e1

2.5 hours to NYC, 3 hours to Boston, and 3.5 hours to Montreal is a pretty good place to be located. I think the small disadvantage to Albany is its generally colder and snowier than Hartford. I'd agree that Albany is pretty close to a lot of beautiful country.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
How would you compare Northampton to Saratoga Springs? I've never been to Saratoga Springs, but I have been to Northampton and find it to be quite appealing. On paper, there appear to be similarities. Not sure how that translates to real life though. I'd wager the area around Saratoga Springs is prettier, but Northampton isn't exactly in an ugly spot either.
Well, I went to school near Northampton and have first-hand knowledge of both. In the immediate downtown area there is a good comparison as Saratoga and Northampton have attractive centers. And Smith College is a pleasant addition to Northampton. But Saratoga Springs has Saratoga Lake and close proximity to the Adirondacks, the Green Mountains, as well as Lake George. And the cultural attractions are far greater in Saratoga, especially in the summer.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oh, I know. It just reminded me that there are some undeniably urban neighborhoods in that city.

Yeah, in Albany, Arbor Hill, West Hill and the South End are the roughest neighborhoods in the city, but for the nice rowhouses, look around Washington Park/ Center Square. This is the Pastures neighborhood just south of Downtown Albany: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...e728c4!6m1!1e1
This is the Mansion neighborhoods, which is across South Pearl Street from the Pastures and is where second street view eschaton posted is located: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6462...pw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Both the Mansion and Pastures neighborhoods are Historic Districts: Mansion Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mansion Neighborhood - Albany, NY

Pastures Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More info on Albany neighborhoods: Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Sfj90&hl=en_US
Albany NY Neighborhoods - Mansion, Pine Hills, Center Square, Colonie, Guilderland, Troy & More On Albany.com - Community's Official Guide

Some other row house neighborhoods: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6574..._w!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6535...YA!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6548...kw!2e0!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City