Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 12:32 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If L.A. is to be docked points for structural/walkability issuses, then I see no reason not to dock Baltimore points for abandonment and lower population density.

If there's one word I'd use to describe Baltimore, it would be idleness. In too many neighborhoods it's people--Black or White--just sitting around with apparently nowhere to go and nothing to do. And while you can say that any city has bums sitting around, it's not even close to being the same in these other places. Baltimore has a lethargic feeling unlike the cities to its immediate north and south. There seems to be no sense of urgency, ever.

Baltimore has a Philadelphia type layout, yes, but it does not have Philadelphia type densities(or DC densities for that matter), and consequently feels much less active than that city. I could see how people would rank it behind L.A. or Seattle notwithstanding the fact it has a better "urban skeleton."
Baltimore has a similar housing stock to Philly (both are obviously predominantly row house cities) but Baltimore has a different layout from Philly. Baltimore's streets are definitely wider than Philly's on average and in result, Baltimore noticeably has a more spread out feel and ultimately a different type of layout compared to Philadelphia. So Baltimore's abandonment combined with its wider street layout is the reason why it does not reach similar densities to Philadelphia. Baltimore has the urban bones to be eventually be back in the top 6 most urban cities but I would currently place it behind cities like DC or maybe even LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 01:03 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Perhaps they get more day visitors. Sacramento has Tahoe in the other direction so that's just as good of a destination to some as SF.

And yeah maybe SA is counting business travelers while SF is not.

Also not sure I would include SJ's airport numbers for much as I doubt many people visiting SF would opt for it considering how far it is.

Look at the data in this threa, notice SF has fewer visitors but far more hotel rooms sold:
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...isited-us.html

So probably a lot of day visitors to SA or they're staying with family I'd imagine.

It isn't necessarily just about the # of visitors a place get but what type and what they spend. Honolulu's tourists spend billions more than other cities that get several times the tourists they do, same with SF.
I have a friend who works for one of the airlines who visited me in the city for a weekend last year and flew into SFO and out of SJ (this person is visiting again this summer). I have another friend who visited me last month for a weekend before working for a few days down in SJ. Flew into SFO and left out of SJ. While maybe not "common", I bet it's more common than we think. Oakland certainly is every bit as much for SF as SFO is. I fly out of Oakland a ton. For the LA/SoCal routes, since both Oakland and SFO offer flights, then yea, I would imagine hardly any LA-SJ routes are for leisure trips to SF, but maybe there are people just like my friends with unique circumstances (visit SF, work in SJ). I am not sure how either of my friends would have been counted as visitors to SF considering we did no tourist stuff and they stayed at my place. I guess that happens in SA, but I feel like it probably happens a lot more in SF, which is a city, like NYC or LA, that a lot of people spend an effort visiting, especially if they have friends in these cities.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:25 PM

406 posts, read 486,250 times
Quote:
Baltimore City

Population: 469,999
Land Area: 38.2
Density: 12,303 persons per square mile
These statistics are completely wrong.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:32 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
These statistics are completely wrong.
Nope. They are 100% accurate. That is what's left after you've removed the lower density areas on the periphery of the city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Baltimore has a similar housing stock to Philly (both are obviously predominantly row house cities) but Baltimore has a different layout from Philly. Baltimore's streets are definitely wider than Philly's on average and in result, Baltimore noticeably has a more spread out feel and ultimately a different type of layout compared to Philadelphia. So Baltimore's abandonment combined with its wider street layout is the reason why it does not reach similar densities to Philadelphia. Baltimore has the urban bones to be eventually be back in the top 6 most urban cities but I would currently place it behind cities like DC or maybe even LA
Baltimore has wider streets than Philly but I'm not sure if that's really the reason why Philly is twice as dense in its core.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:43 PM

636 posts, read 611,396 times
Boston is more urban than LA? This board is hilarious.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Baltimore can't come close to Seattle. Way less educated, way less office space, and lower rents for the space it has. Never mind Amazon HQ, if Amazon opened a warehouse in Dundalk, Baltimore would hail it a sign of tech resurgence, and we'd have to start hearing about the Silicon Ghetto.
Way less educated? You're an idiot. The Baltimore Metro is one of the most highly educated regions in the nation. Seattle is barely beating blue collar Baltimore in this regard.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tro-areas.html

Also, Amazon opened a distribution center in Southeast Baltimore this year - we're one of the pilot markets to test their one hour delivery service.

Amazon launches one-hour delivery service in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore's has nothing to worry about - we've been an underdog on the east coast for over a hundred years - even when we had a million people in the city proper. Once Under Armour develops Port Covington it will be hard to deny the ongoing revitalization of Maryland's largest city.

Kevin Plank unveils vision for Port Covington ? and it includes Under Armour's future HQ - Baltimore Business Journal

Baltimore City is one of the most urban cities in the nation in terms of built environment. Period. There's people on the west coast claiming to be more urban and they don't even know what a rowhouse is. LOL.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:54 PM

Once you find a neighborhood like this in Seattle or Atlanta get back at me. Otherwise stay in your lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...23e758!6m1!1e1

Does downtown Baltimore look urban to you?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...23e758!6m1!1e1

Lol, the only shot that Atlanta or Seattle had at being more urban than Baltimore was if the city completely burned down two months ago. Guess what - it didn't. You can keep pretending though.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Nope. They are 100% accurate. That is what's left after you've removed the lower density areas on the periphery of the city limits.
My apologies - I did not realize you took out the more suburban areas of the city proper. In that case they look on point.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Mini-site produced by LA Magazine on Los Angeles' growth and urbanization:

L.A. On The Verge - Home

Interesting read and actually pretty slick web design.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM

251 posts, read 283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Boston is more urban than LA? This board is hilarious.
Just depends what's meant by urban. On density alone LA wins but I think most would argue that there's a little more to it than just density. Boston is more walkable, more lively, and has a more urban built form than LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City