Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 04:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
And dc is very residential, with very little commerical areas outside of the few around downtown.
La has far more amenties to walk to.
Another completely false statement, you guys are trying to set a record in one thread I see.

The city is very residential however, NOMA, Capitol Riverfront, Georgetown/Tenleytown/ Wisconsin Ave, GA Ave/Petworth, 14th St, U Street, Adams Morgan, H Street NE, 8th St SE Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, SW Waterfront are all walk-able commercial areas none of them in Downtown. Many have dedicated bike lanes and are WAY more walk-able than the streets of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:37 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
DC for sure
Baltimore is more structurally dense than DC...

Old 07-20-2016, 04:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Another completely false statement, you guys are trying to set a record in one thread I see.

The city is very residential however, NOMA, Capitol Riverfront, Georgetown/Tenleytown/ Wisconsin Ave, GA Ave/Petworth, 14th St, U Street, Adams Morgan, H Street NE, 8th St SE Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, SW Waterfront are all walk-able commercial areas none of them in Downtown. Many have dedicated bike lanes and are WAY more walk-able than the streets of LA.
Thsts not alot of areas compared to la and outside of
Gt,
am,
14th
U st

Are pretty small or unimpressive.

Tenleytown?
Gerogia ave?

Do you how many sreas in la are like that?
Are you kidding?

Old 07-20-2016, 04:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Thsts not alot of areas compared to la and outside of
Gt,
am,
14th
U st

Are pretty small or unimpressive.

Tenleytown?
Gerogia ave?

Do you how many sreas in la are like that?
Are you kidding?
Yeah LA might not all that urban in northeastern terms but its def more urban than DC is, that's not even up for debate. DC is a really small city, the DC area is small too actually. Living in NYC kinda of changed my perception of things. LA sprawls just as much as NYC...

Last edited by Yeadon718; 07-20-2016 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 07:21 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I'll be the first to admit that downtown Seattle is more desirable, but remember that I do live here, and I know how tiny Pikes place market is, you can't pull the wool over my eyes Gatz.
You live here and call it "Pikes Place Market"? It's Pike Place Market. "Pike Place" is the street running through the middle. As for "tiny," it has hundreds of shops and hundreds of day stalls on the equivalent of three city blocks plus unofficial fringe spinoff areas. That's not tiny. As for crowds, the three block main hallway can take a polite person 20 minutes to get through, or take me at half that, because of the throngs of people. Some of the other walkways are nearly as packed, starting with the sidewalk on the east side of Pike Place.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:23 PM

508 posts, read 503,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Yeah LA might not all that urban in northeastern terms but its def more urban than DC is, that's not even up for debate. DC is a really small city, the DC area is small too actually. Living in NYC kinda of changed my perception of things. LA sprawls just as much as NYC...
That's a little hard to believe. I think DC being so small would create an argument that it's more walkable; Especially more than L.A. L.A. is what I would describe "generally walkable" meaning you can get to certain amenties by walking depending on where you live. Being that L.A. is so spread out and has many urban environments. This can change person to person on how they feel a neighborhood is walkable.

My impression with DC is that it is more walkable but it doesn't have more walkable areas than L.A. That matters. If you live on one side of L.A. and work in another then that may not seem so walkable to a person that has lived on the east coast.

Still, I know this is a debate thread but the difference is so minute that does it really matter? There are many people who drive into DC just like there are many people who drive into wherever they work in L.A. I also live close enough to work in L.A. so luckily I don't have to go too far. PT is much better in DC but I have been driving way less doing leisure activities since the expo line opened in so it's not like it's doom and gloom. I like the fact that I take my bike to the beach via train even though others in L.A. are not as fortunate. I know that there are way too many people here that hold the opposite view to make my perception stick.

Last edited by afropack-man; 07-20-2016 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 07:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Basically, LA and DC are both nearing or within the tier of the others (save for NYC) when it comes to walkable, urban neighborhoods. Seattle is not and that was one of the arguments that was made earlier which doesn't make too much sense. These two are the primary cities that are outside of the top 5 of NYC (in a separate tier on its own), Chicago, SF, Philly, and Boston. There's a good argument that both LA and DC are approaching or already within that same tier (again, outside of NYC) for different varying reasons as well as not within that tier for different varying reasons. What should be evident is that even if DC and LA are not yet within that tier, they at least set themselves apart from any other cities in the US who have a much weaker claim for being the most urban city outside of the top five.

Anyhow, I'd recommend people try to visit LA without a car these days if they're interested in trying to see how urban it is now. If you start from one of the parts of the urban core, it can be a drastically different experience than what you might have experienced in the past. Uber, smartphones, a greatly enlarged transit system, and a good deal of development in the core has changed things a lot. You can now easily spend a fairly long vacation without renting a car or driving one of your own over in LA these days. This is a far cry from what it used to be, but the constant infilling and densification of LA's core has been leading up to this for decades. It's in some ways better as a visitor setting their own itinerary rather than as a resident, because the main issue with LA's density/urbanity/walkability is that you need the perfect middle ground as a resident to have both your workplace be accessible in this way and the place that is accessible to your workplace work within your budget. These aren't the same kind of concerns for tourists.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-20-2016 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
This better than many cities, in which an old downtown may be the only urban place in the entire city.
No doubt. I'd never argue that Pittsburgh was in the top 5, but it's surely in the top 15, and arguably near the bottom of the top 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Walkscore is trying to measure how practical walking is for daily activities; not how pleasant it is, which is somewhat subjective. Walkscore's not discounting for aesthetics is the correct choice, IMO, as long as the design isn't hostile to pedestrians (long detours to cross the road, lack of sidewalks, long walk from sidewalk to store through big parking lots, etc.).
I think streetscape does matter in terms of walkability. I mean, studies have shown that gaps in a commercial district caused by parking lots make pedestrians less likely to walk. And I'm having a hard time thinking of many four-lane roads which have successful walkable business districts.

Quote:
Baltimore definitely has a larger urban core overall, and a smaller percentage of its land area which is devoted to detached single-family housing. The peak density is a bit lower though - Baltimore has relatively few residential areas which are denser than rowhouses.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times
jpdivola listed Pittsburgh as an "honorable mention". We could use more of those.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Kind of, yeah, if you're only looking at 19th century housing.

But then you could say Baltimore is structurally more dense than Chicago or San Francisco, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City