Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Rowhouses usually dont have storefronts, no idea what youre talking about.

La has far more walkable commercial areas.
not even close.

actually many do especially the corners

or many areas will have a sort of commercial strip every few blocks with the bottom floor retail and upper floors residential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 11:29 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,252 times
In dc they dont.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Where in LA are there walkable areas comparable to DC?

I can't think of even one LA neighborhood that would be comparable to, say, Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan.

I would generally agree on those hoods. LA generally has strips of highly walkable areas that wane in between. Not the same as the more traditionally urban street walls, even among row homes.

That said DC can give way to very suburban feeling areas with larger lots than LA for the SFH like the NW whereas LA has more continuous constant build even if SFH

to me why LA could range between 2 and 7, a lot depends on the metric or value placed on the metrics

walkability, density, expanse, etc.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
DC has a height limit which does make the city seem a lot less urban and it's extra long blocks also take away from it's urbanity. Chicago and SF feel like bigger cities than DC and they are... (DC if bigger than SF land wise but SF is more urban).

DC's Finest is right, my God you contradict yourself in almost every other post. DC's built environment of 8-10 story buildings is much larger in square mileage than the city's your mentioning. I also see you have trouble comprehending the difference between tall buildings and urbanity. The only true city of consistent wall to wall urbanity for a larger square mileage of mid/ high rise building urbanity is really Manhattan, next would probably be Chicago. However even in Chicago you have building height density drop off to 2 and 3 story buildings pretty quickly when transitioning from the core. The drop off in DC in some directions doesn't happen so abruptly.

SF is a more urban city than Washington DC, but the core of mid rise buildings in DC expands further across the city than in SF. Which is what closes the gap some to at least be mentioned in the same sentence.

Los Angeles outside of DTLA and Hollywood is almost exclusively a low rise city, with 3 and 4 story apartments buildings, not to mention with wider streets for vehicular traffic, less dedicated bike lanes per capita, and lower transit numbers and percentage than DC.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-21-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 01:33 PM

And it still has more walkable hoods.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
And it still has more walkable hoods.
There are more LA hoods that are technically walkable, because any hood with a sidewalk is walkable, and LA is bigger and CA tends to have sidewalks in all types of neighborhoods.

But LA doesn't really have high quality walkable neighborhoods.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:39 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
I've been to the walkable areas of LA. Not impressed, and most of the walkable areas aside from parts of west hollywood and Santa Monica(which are both not part of LA itself) are pretty dumpy/sketchy. In DC you can walk from one "walkable neighborhood" to the next to the next to the next, ect. In LA to get from one walkable area to the next you have to get in your car and drive to it because they are so spread out.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Seattle's population has increased from 608K in 2010 to 690K in 2016, and much of that growth has been concentrated in core urban areas and urban villages across the city. The point is these 2010 numbers are dramatically outdated as Seattle has increased by 50%-100% in these categories.
You know usually it is logical to respond to statistics with statistics, especially when you go out of your way of saying statistics from 2010 are outdated (I know that by the way - but there aren't updated statistics given that the census hasn't happened yet to update these numbers).

Also, your point in bold, somehow I seriously doubt all of Seattle's population growth has been for extraordinarily high densities to the extent you're claiming. I mean really, you must think I'm a fool or something of the sort to actually suggest that the city in JUST 5 YEARS has increased its population in densities of 30,000 or 50,000 people per square mile by over 50% to somewhere near 100%. The same extraordinarily high densities that it had little of before but the onus is on you to prove it though. I'll wait patiently for you to do just that, because who knows, you may just have a point. You'll have to prove it though because "just take my word for it" is garbage.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-21-2016 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
I've been to the walkable areas of LA. Not impressed, and most of the walkable areas aside from parts of west hollywood and Santa Monica(which are both not part of LA itself) are pretty dumpy/sketchy. In DC you can walk from one "walkable neighborhood" to the next to the next to the next, ect. In LA to get from one walkable area to the next you have to get in your car and drive to it because they are so spread out.
Lol. Sure.

And santa monica, bh, west hollywood are la as it gets.
Wh was apart la la until the early 80s.

In this part of la you hsve
Melrose
3rd
Brverly blvd
robertson
Santa monica blvd
sunset strip
golden triwngle
beverly drive

Parts of
Labrea
fairfax

That are loaded with restauranrs and shops (many upscale
that sre walkable.

Last edited by Freddy K; 07-21-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are more LA hoods that are technically walkable, because any hood with a sidewalk is walkable, and LA is bigger and CA tends to have sidewalks in all types of neighborhoods.

But LA doesn't really have high quality walkable neighborhoods.
Yea, its all about the sidewalks. Not the countless blocks of restaurants, shops etc all over the place.

La has more of these commercial districts and its not even close.

Some dc guy mentioned tenleytown and georgia ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City