Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 04:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People are always hanging out in packs around those neighborhoods. It's like that in most low income neighborhoods in any city. Baltimore is the same way. Don't let it get hot outside.

By the way, I'm just talking about people hanging out in the streets. Not people walking through a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 04:24 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People are always hanging out in packs around those neighborhoods. It's like that in most low income neighborhoods in any city. Baltimore is the same way. Don't let it get hot outside.
Those neighborhoods are slow, auto-centric (Congress Heights is anyway), and don't see that much pedestrian traffic. If you had said somewhere like Petworth or Brightwood, that would have made more sense, but Anacostia and Congress heights are pretty lame in terms of pedestrian vibrancy.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Those neighborhoods are slow, auto-centric (Congress Heights is anyway), and don't see that much pedestrian traffic. If you had said somewhere like Petworth or Brightwood, that would have made more sense, but Anacostia and Congress heights are pretty lame in terms of pedestrian vibrancy.
I explained what I meant. I was talking about people hanging out on the streets in front of buildings or in better terms, loitering. I wasn't talking about people walking through the neighborhood. A residential street in Anacostia is way more vibrant especially during the middle of the day than places in most cities. It's because people don't have jobs so they sit in front of their buildings.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I explained what I meant. I was talking about people hanging out on the streets in front of buildings or in better terms, loitering. I wasn't talking about people walking through the neighborhood. A residential street in Anacostia is way more vibrant especially during the middle of the day than places in most cities. It's because people don't have jobs so they sit in front of their buildings.
This may be the funniest sh*t I've heard in a long time. Can I frame this?

Detroit must be one of the most vibrant places on earth. There's a lot of that going on there.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
It's as dense. So that's a wash. Now where do transit, car ownership rates and urban design come into play?
It comes in disfavor to LA for that central area, but what then comes in favor is that there are a lot of nodes of urban places nearby connected by urban corridors. In the end, the criteria isn't very straightforward, but a more general view puts LA somewhere in that tier that is separate from US cities that cluster closer together in tiers below.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It comes in disfavor to LA for that central area, but what then comes in favor is that there are a lot of nodes of urban places nearby connected by urban corridors. In the end, the criteria isn't very straightforward, but a more general view puts LA somewhere in that tier that is separate from US cities that cluster closer together in tiers below.
I'm just kinda going back and forth here. It is true that L.A. smashes DC into the ground in terms of residential density. But it is equally true that DC smashes L.A. into the ground in terms of CBD size and transit-orientation, and total walking commuters. On a pound for pound basis, DC even beats Chicago here with greater volume coming out of its busiest metro stations in its downtown core. The question is whether LA's greater residential density trumps that. Some might say yes, but others might say that DC offers a lifestyle and core rush hour pedestrian crush that's more similar to NYC, which they view as a standard for "urban."

Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
+2 Fairlawn got a decent amount of people walking about around Pennsylvania Ave leading towards the Sousa Bridge. Same with parts of Minnesota Ave NE.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+2 Fairlawn got a decent amount of people walking about around Pennsylvania Ave leading towards the Sousa Bridge. Same with parts of Minnesota Ave NE.
I don't know what a "decent amount of people" is but I'm guessing about two. These areas are relatively auto-centric and downtrodden. Though the intersection of Benning and Minnesota does see *some* traffic since it is close to a metro station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEvzI9Ve1g

But hey, maybe this guy just caught the bridge on a bad day.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
This may be the funniest sh*t I've heard in a long time. Can I frame this?

Detroit must be one of the most vibrant places on earth. There's a lot of that going on there.
Throw Richmond, CA into that mix too. So many people with nothing to do!

Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Throw Richmond, CA into that mix too. So many people with nothing to do!
Brownsville and East New York too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City