Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:32 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,816,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
As a gay, liberal Jew, through my many conversations and encounters with people across the country and especially the south, I have never heard anyone mention how liberal Houston is. Of the cities in this thread, it's the only one. I have friends who tell me things about how liberal Atlanta is and how I would maybe like it there. Everyone agrees Miami would be a great place for me to live. Even Dallas has been mentioned, but just stick to downtown, uptown, and the inner core neighborhoods. This is from people who have lived in these cities before or have traveled extensively throughout the south. Southerners seem to tend to stick to the south for their travels. At least in Kentucky, they seem to rare go north for vacation or work, almost always heading south. I have friends in Mobile and New Orleans as well. The general consensus from all of them in their travels, encounters with people from these cities, and past living situations is that Atlanta is mostly great, Dallas is great in specific areas, and Miami is basically fine all over. Houston has never once been mentioned.

Can we also go ahead and agree that New Orleans should have been included in this? New Orleans would definitely be #1 most liberal, not just in the LGBT/minority rights standpoint. They vote blue, there is a large gay population, and for heaven's sake they have the loosest alcohol laws in the country. I'd say that's a big factor in the true definition of "liberal" as in less regulations and more freedoms to do as you please. Along with that, Miami's last call is the latest out of all of the cities mentioned in this thread and it's known for it's parties and nightlife. "Conservative" cities don't generally have the greatest nightlife.
What if I told you that I have 342 friends who all told me the exact opposite of what your friends told you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 11:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,397,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
What if I told you that I have 342 friends who all told me the exact opposite of what your friends told you?
Then that would be your experience. This would be a boring forum if we all had the same experiences, no?

Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 AM

75 posts, read 109,397 times
Fort Lauderdale, FL is the most liberal city in the South, if you count South FL as part of the South.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:36 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,494,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Fort Lauderdale, FL is the most liberal city in the South, if you count South FL as part of the South.
No it's not.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 AM

37,925 posts, read 42,177,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No it's not.
It's certainly among the most liberal by most standards though.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 AM

So how's that whole Houston being liberal thing working out for ya today?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:21 AM

37,925 posts, read 42,177,228 times
Quote:
So how's that whole Houston being liberal thing working out for ya today?
LOL, I was thinking about this thread when I read that. So much for Houston being "ingrained with tolerance." I'm not saying it's super-conservative but obviously some people were grossly overstating how liberal the city is.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, I was thinking about this thread when I read that. So much for Houston being "ingrained with tolerance." I'm not saying it's super-conservative but obviously some people were grossly overstating how liberal the city is.
Exactly. Yeah the city elected a lesbian mayor. Yeah it's a big city and is bound to have a lot of liberals. But the city literally just voted to make it legal to discriminate against gays. I'd say that's pretty damn conservative! I don't have much room to talk from KY after this election, but I've never portrayed KY as some liberal haven like Houston boosters did here. Also, I'm in Louisville which is very different from KY. Louisville dislikes KY for being too conservative and racist. KY hates Louisville for being too diverse and educated and liberal. Nobody I know in Louisville is happy about this outcome. We voted with a 19.6% margin for the Democrat governor. Sadly, the dumb rednecks surrounding us overpowered us. But that's a different situation. Even as a big city, Houston just voted to allow homophobia. Even Louisville, Lexington, and a few other cities in KY have LGBT non-discrimination laws in housing and employment.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:11 AM

20,532 posts, read 33,657,847 times
Yeah I saw that too. It absolutely took it down several notches as far as liberal cities go. I wonder if the opponents ran a fearful campaign behind it.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 AM

8,491 posts, read 15,048,767 times
Quote:
Exactly. Yeah the city elected a lesbian mayor. Yeah it's a big city and is bound to have a lot of liberals. But the city literally just voted to make it legal to discriminate against gays. I'd say that's pretty damn conservative! I don't have much room to talk from KY after this election, but I've never portrayed KY as some liberal haven like Houston boosters did here. Also, I'm in Louisville which is very different from KY. Louisville dislikes KY for being too conservative and racist. KY hates Louisville for being too diverse and educated and liberal. Nobody I know in Louisville is happy about this outcome. We voted with a 19.6% margin for the Democrat governor. Sadly, the dumb rednecks surrounding us overpowered us. But that's a different situation. Even as a big city, Houston just voted to allow homophobia. Even Louisville, Lexington, and a few other cities in KY have LGBT non-discrimination laws in housing and employment.
As I understand it, Houston is the only city of size that does not have an anti-discrimination law on the books. Not just for gay folks, but for everyone. How did they get to 2015 and not have that happen yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City