Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,088 posts, read 21,212,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The superior Houston weather vs the inferior Chicago area weather can clearly be shown by the stats.
Posting that
"From an ecological point of view, Chicago burns and poisons the ground by dumping thousands of tons of salt every single forsaken winter month(burns and kills plants). This also shamefully rusts vehicles inside and out.

Winters in Chicago can be hazardous to one's heath, did you know that heating oil furnaces and heaters in general, generate air and breathing toxicity indoors, while AC units do not."

while completely ignoring Houston's larger ozone problem does not exactly meet the definition for insightful, so it wasn't obvious whether you were being sarcastic or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,932,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Tourist, professionals, highly educated and business travelers. Do choose Chicago.... especially its downtown over Houston. It may affect the vote too? Because we can dislike winters. But still have a preference for Chicago.... sorry.

Houston begs for the day it can declare Overtaking Chicago. Annexing land to faster population increase. But in reality.... Chicago remains a superior city.

Tourist on visitor feedback sights. Place Chicago. A HIGH#2 behind NYC. Because of high visitor feedback comments.
Best Destinations in the United States - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Regardless, Houston will never be a Chicago. The lakefront and skyscrapers are stunning.
You people know in your hearts that Houston summers are far more tolerable than Chicago's winters. That's why you all are trying to side-step away from the point, and save face by interjecting off-tangent subjects, like Chicago's urbanity compared to Houston.

Houston summers > Chicago winters. End of story.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,088 posts, read 21,212,980 times
I think the poll might indicate otherwise, in spite of your own opinion
It shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp that many people find hot humid summers, such as those in Houston, to be as detestable as some people find cold winters like those found in Chicago. It's pretty narrow minded to insist that those people must be ignorant or crazy.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:47 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,911,631 times
From an unbiased person who was born and raised in Chicago, I'll take a Houston summer over a Chicago winter anyday. I can deal with heat far better than cold weather. I only go home to visit family during the summer.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,485,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
From an unbiased person who was born and raised in Chicago, I'll take a Houston summer over a Chicago winter anyday. I can deal with heat far better than cold weather. I only go home to visit family during the summer.
I agree I hate cold weather, I am of Middle Eastern decent I like it hot and dry but I can still deal with heat and humidity better than bitter cold.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,212,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
You people know in your hearts that Houston summers are far more tolerable than Chicago's winters. That's why you all are trying to side-step away from the point, and save face by interjecting off-tangent subjects, like Chicago's urbanity compared to Houston.

No. Just no! There are some people (I'm one of them) that would be sincerely miserable in constant mid/upper-90's temps with high dewpoints. I would almost never want to be outside. Conversely, having grown up in a cold place, I have learned to not care too much about the cold, as long as I'm bundled up.

So for me and people like me, there is no "end of story", or if there is, it's that the cold is far more tolerable than the heat, in this scenario.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:43 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,982,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

I love how you guys try to pass off opinion as fact. Must be a big-ego Texas thing.

I wonder if this bitterness stems from the fact that you guys know that Chicago is a bigger tourist destination than Houston? I dunno. Im just trying to figure this out.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 7,520,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
No. Just no! There are some people (I'm one of them) that would be sincerely miserable in constant mid/upper-90's temps with high dewpoints. I would almost never want to be outside. Conversely, having grown up in a cold place, I have learned to not care too much about the cold, as long as I'm bundled up.

So for me and people like me, there is no "end of story", or if there is, it's that the cold is far more tolerable than the heat, in this scenario.
I'm curious how much does it cost to "bundle up" with all the layers necessary to reach this state of comfort you people have ben talking about? I'm talking about from scratch, if you had to buy everything you need....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I love how you guys try to pass off opinion as fact. Must be a big-ego Texas thing.

I wonder if this bitterness stems from the fact that you guys know that Chicago is a bigger tourist destination than Houston? I dunno. Im just trying to figure this out.
No it stems from the fact that human beings are far more capable of dealing with the kind of heat that Houston summers produce as opposed to the cold of Chicago winters.

If you were butt naked in Houston on a typical August day you would be just fine as long as you don't exert yourself too much for whatever physical condition you may be in. If you found yourself butt naked in Chicago on a typical winter day in February you would be S.O.L. and to argue so vehemently against these bare facts just seems to defy logic.....

Old 07-15-2015, 02:22 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,710,042 times
What is a "bare fact" to one person may not be a fact at all but perhaps rather an opinion to another person such as in the butt naked Houston vs. Chicago example above.
The initial question is a matter of personal preference which is not something on which the "fact"ual truth can be decided.
My own personal opinion is that I'd prefer a Chicago winter to a Houston summer but that is only an opinion.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:46 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,932,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think the poll might indicate otherwise, in spite of your own opinion
It shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp that many people find hot humid summers, such as those in Houston, to be as detestable as some people find cold winters like those found in Chicago. It's pretty narrow minded to insist that those people must be ignorant or crazy.
There are far too many lurking variables associated with these polls for me to care too much about them anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

That's the thing, Houston summers aren't "constant mid/upper 90s;" more like low 90s, with rainfall many days that can cool temps all the ways down to the 70s. Even on days without rain, you still have the plentiful natural shade and sea-breezes to keep some kind of comfort.

Dressing properly for Houston summers don't take near the amount of effort and expense as dressing properly for Chicago's cold, and the clothing isn't near as cumbersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Keep up with the red-herrings; it just makes it easy to know that you, in your heart, know that Chicago's winters are worse than Houston's summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City