Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:42 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol
If you look at the summer high temp averages for places like Cancun, or Zanzibar, and compare them to Houston, you see that they are virtually identical:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanzibar#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canc%C3%BAn#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acapul...hy_and_climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakarta#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin...ritory#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolkata#Climate

People live free, play in, and vacation all the time in such tropical getaways, which have essentially year-round what Houston only experiences during summer. You wont see such free vibrancy during winter in areas like Chicago.

Houston summers = a tropical vacation.

Last edited by JMT; 07-10-2015 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:06 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
If you look at the summer high temp averages for places like Cancun, or Zanzibar, and compare them to Houston, you see that they are virtually identical:

People live free, play in, and vacation all the time in such tropical getaways, which have essentially year-round what Houston only experiences during summer. You wont see such free vibrancy during winter in areas like Chicago.

Houston summers = a tropical vacation.
Houston's year-round climate, in general, is more conducive to outdoor activity than Chicago's.
A TROPICAL PARADISE for a Vacation. Is more then merely Hot weather. It is a.....
  • Beach scene.
  • Ocean Breeze.
  • Caribbean Blue Waters.
  • Hotels and Clubs with a Bar.
  • Shows and Live Entertainment.
  • Palm Trees and Tropical Flowers.
I have NOTHING AGAINST HOUSTON. But the way it....
  • NEGLECTED ITS SHORLINE To be set aside for PUBLIC RECREATION.
  • DID NOT KEPT BEACHES RESTORED. But left them IN A ERODED STATE.
  • DOES NOT SEEM AS HARBORS AND YACHTING DOES NOT SEEM IMPORTANT.
  • NO AMUSEMENT/ENTERTAINMENT PIERS LIKE THE EAST COAST HAS UP NORTH.
  • ITS WATERS DO NOT HAVE THAT AZURE BLUE YOU GET IN CANCUN AND FLORIDA.
Seems to show A NEGLECT and TURNING A BACK ON A ASSET. Most frontage has private homes. For good beaches you go to Galveston. I also understand, downtown Houston is like 50 miles from the Ocean. But the Inlet is much closer with some offerings.

CHICAGO on the other hand,
  • DID BUILD BEACHES and HARBORS and PARKLAND. For it's citizens and visitors amusement.
  • It maintains its Beaches, cleanings and adding sand if some eroding occurs as needed.
  • Continues to see its Shoreline AS A GREAT ASSET TO HAVE AND HAS PRIDE IN IT.
  • The waters of Lake Michigan, do take on hues of AZURE and CARIBBEAN BLUE.
  • CHICAGO hugging the shore has all in the City 12 miles or Less to the LAKE.
  • Of Course, CHICAGOS GREAT DOWNTOWN is ALONG ITS LAKESHORE.
PICTURES SAY IT ALL.. IS CHICAGO'S NORTH SHORE FROM DOWNTOWN and its Downtown Lakefront and Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago Winters vs. Houston Summers. Which is more bearable?-chicago-jet-flyover-.jpg   Chicago Winters vs. Houston Summers. Which is more bearable?-chicago-lakefront-wih-harbors-snd-skyline   Chicago Winters vs. Houston Summers. Which is more bearable?-chicago-downtow-beach-.jpg  

Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
LOL, how many of those who move 'for the weather' decide that weather is too extreme and uncomfortable and move at least half way back? They even have an expression for that because it happens so often. Don't act like you don't realize that either.
None. The people who move here from the Midwest/east coast either hack it or move back home. I have yet to hear them complain about the weather it's mostly COL issues to salaries. At least in the Miami area. Last night I spent a lovely night outside on my patio with friends. No sweating. No one asked to go inside for the AC. If you think the weather is extreme here in the summer you're delusional.

Anyways, the people who move to North Carolina are locals who move again due to QOL issues depending on the stuff mentioned above. And many move back because they realize there is no substitute for Miami.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Winter is pretty, in areas with mostly pine trees, and during a snowfall or the couple days after when everything is filled with snow.

Majority of time its just a bunch of slush, mud and dead trees.
Even in Minneapolis you will have 2 months of slush and mud and brown snow as it slowly melts.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
Chicago can be pretty bad in the winter but I'd wager their "rough season/s" cancel one another out. Houston's summers with the high humidity levels can feel like they're in excess of 100ºF so whoever thinks these kinds of temps are "tolerable" is saying that with some sort of personal opinion implied
The heat index in Houston is regularly above 100F , almost never above 110F. The actual temperatures are steady in the mid 90s though heat waves occurs that push the temperature above 100F. When those happen the humidity drops though.

In practice, you have a 6 hour window in Houston with those heat indexes. Then it improves. Nights are lovely and make it convenient for outdoor dining. Even the daytime heat makes it perfect for the beach down in Galveston.

In practice in Chicago a miserable daytime in the 20s only gets worse at night. And that's temps without factored in windchill. There are many days during a Chicago winter you can't stay outside, even bundled up, for more than 10-20 minutes at a time before becoming severely uncomfortable. This is never true for Houston, even for that 6 hour window I mentioned. You have access to drinkable water you will never be severely uncomfortable.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:09 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
There are many days during a Chicago winter you can't stay outside, even bundled up, for more than 10-20 minutes at a time before becoming severely uncomfortable.
This statement goes down to the personal level in reality. Some people can't stand even 85 degrees and others can. Some have no problem being in 30 degree weather and others do. That type of thing really varies person to person. So the entire thread is really a personal question, if you ask me, and kind of moot. People are going to disagree because it's nothing you can prove. It's all personal preference. 105 degree heat index is just as extreme (I'd actually argue moreso) than a 25 degree wind chill, but in the end it depends on what you've been exposed to and what your own body can withstand.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This statement goes down to the personal level in reality. Some people can't stand even 85 degrees and others can. Some have no problem being in 30 degree weather and others do. That type of thing really varies person to person. So the entire thread is really a personal question, if you ask me, and kind of moot. People are going to disagree because it's nothing you can prove. It's all personal preference. 105 degree heat index is just as extreme (I'd actually argue moreso) than a 25 degree wind chill, but in the end it depends on what you've been exposed to and what your own body can withstand.
Tbh it's not really. The human body and what it can withstand in terms of temperatures is remarkably consistent across all humans. 20 degrees will kill you faster than 90s if you don't seek shelter.

People who prefer cold due so because they like a cold weather sport (like snowboarding), love to stay indoors and drink hot cocoa, or are fat and love to cover their imperfect body in layers and hate the heat because it makes them self conscious.

Biologically speaking we are not suited for Chicago in comparison to Houston.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:21 AM

680 posts, read 649,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The heat index in Houston is regularly above 100F , almost never above 110F. The actual temperatures are steady in the mid 90s though heat waves occurs that push the temperature above 100F. When those happen the humidity drops though.

In practice, you have a 6 hour window in Houston with those heat indexes. Then it improves. Nights are lovely and make it convenient for outdoor dining. Even the daytime heat makes it perfect for the beach down in Galveston.

In practice in Chicago a miserable daytime in the 20s only gets worse at night. And that's temps without factored in windchill. There are many days during a Chicago winter you can't stay outside, even bundled up, for more than 10-20 minutes at a time before becoming severely uncomfortable. This is never true for Houston, even for that 6 hour window I mentioned. You have access to drinkable water you will never be severely uncomfortable.
People have died in Houston due to the heat, not saying that Chicago is that any "better". Also if you're engaging in any moderate to strenuous activity(especially these) or even standing around for some time, it can become severely uncomfortable in Houston. A lot of people would consider the nights in Houston to not be really "lovely" at all.

I don't think Chicago is better, it's just I think Houston, Florida, and other parts of the Southeast are misunderstood as being some sort of paradise weather-wise when in fact they aren't, not many places deserve that label. The cities I listed earlier might be "semi-deserving", places like Sydney(!!!). It's really a personal opinion on this but I'm just defending Chicago because people like to berate it and can't fathom people actually liking it's weather, maybe not always but a lot of people would not like the Southeast for portions of the year and at certain times.

Last edited by MuffinMan16; 07-10-2015 at 07:37 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
People have died in Houston due to the heat, not saying that Chicago is that any "better". Also if you're engaging in any moderate to strenuous activity(especially these) or even standing around for some time, it can become severely uncomfortable in Houston. A lot of people would consider the nights in Houston to not be really "lovely" at all.

I don't think Chicago is better, it's just I think Houston, Florida, and other parts of the Southeast are misunderstood as being some sort of paradise weather-wise when in fact they aren't, not many places deserve that label. The cities I listed earlier might be "semi-deserving", places like Sydney(!!!). It's really a personal opinion on this but I'm just defending Chicago because people like to berate it and can't fathom people actually liking it's weather, maybe not always but a lot of people would not like the Southeast for portions of the year and at certain times.
Chicago is not any better, it's a lot worse. More people die from the cold, than people who die from heat in Houston. In fact I hear more people dying of heat in Chicago than Houston but that's a different story on whys.

If you want to eat outside comfortably, then nights in Houston during the summer are lovely. If they were 10 degrees cooler, it'd be borderline uncomfortable/undesirable to eat outside. 20 degrees, and no one will eat outside. I live here in Miami Beach which is probably the outside dining capital of the USA. Our nights are also warmer than Houston's in the summer, partly because we're more humid, partly because Miami Beach is an island surrounded by water. Anyways, just last week I went to a popular Italian restaurant on Espanola, and the wait for an outdoor seat was an hour. To sit inside had no wait. So seems even summer in Miami people prefer to be outside, out of AC, then inside with AC. I know that when nights fall in the 50s here (winter) outdoor dining is destroyed, it kills business. Maybe a 50 degree night makes it nice to sleep indoors without AC, but it's terrible if you want to eat outside, go to the beach, etc. It's too cold.

Why does Sydney have good weather? I never lived there, but I have San Diego which you mentioned before. I'm from Los Angeles actually, I prefer the weather here for the nighttime temperatures.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 AM

Proof in the pudding is cabin fever season. If Houston's summers were so bad, people would hibernate indoors like they do in Chicago's winter. They don't. In fact, people are more active outdoors in the summer in Houston than they are in the winter in Houston. Outdoor dining is more full, people fish, kayak, beaches are packed, parks are parked, BBQ, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City