Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,005,769 times

Advertisements

^ I cannot recall the last time I heard of a non-homeless person dying in Chicago due to the cold (I guess there was that blizzard 4 years ago that shut down the power and a few elderly people probably died). Old people die too during winter sometimes I guess. This is not national news ever though - so the fact that you've heard of it is either bull or you're going out of your way to look for it. I have, however, heard of people dying from the heat in Chicago, though that's rare. The last time was 2012 when the temperatures for a few weeks were in the mid to upper 90s and low 100s without heat index. There was another time in 1995 where a bunch of people died in a similar stretch of days (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Chicago_heat_wave)

Last edited by JMT; 07-10-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ I cannot recall the last time I heard of a non-homeless person dying in Chicago due to the cold (I guess there was that blizzard 4 years ago that shut down the power and a few elderly people probably died). I don't know what you're even talking about. I have, however, heard of people dying from the heat in Chicago, though that's rare. The last time was 2012 when the temperatures for a few weeks were in the mid to upper 90s and low 100s without heat index. There was another time in 1995 where a bunch of people died in a similar stretch of days (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Chicago_heat_wave)
Cold Weather Has Already Claimed The Lives Of The Homeless | ThinkProgress

It happens every year in staggering numbers. There are big drives by charities to get the homeless off the streets in the winter into shelters. You will never see that when it's hot. In fact here in Miami Beach, last night we stayed in the 80s, and the homeless were sleeping in blankets. Quite far from dying from the heat, they were cold.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,716,128 times
I've not read all of the responses but I'll say that an Atlanta summer, with temps like we are having now, leaves me irritable & grouchy & I've lived here for 35 years, in other words plenty of time to have gotten used to the heat & humidity. The point of that is that from my experiences there, I'd say that Houston's summers are miserable beyond words & hotter & more humid than ours. I personally could not take living there & have been there in the summer often enough to know miserably steamy hot weather when I'm in the midst it.
As much as I don't care for cold weather, I've lived in both the south & midwest & would be happier living back in the midwest weather-wise even in the face of it's typical winter cold.
And trust me, more than 2 Chicagoans visit Door County, Wi. in the winter. Jeesh!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,716,128 times
The idea of comfortable outdoor dining in Houston during the summer is laughable. Maybe with a strong fan blowing or series of overhead ceiling fans operating it could be tolerable at best.
How anyone can extrapolate to compare outdoor dining comfort in Miami Beach, which is an island that is surrounded by water & bathed in ocean inspired breezes, to the sticky, oppressive stillness of a summer night in Houston is beyond me.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The idea of comfortable outdoor dining in Houston during the summer is laughable. Maybe with a strong fan blowing or series of overhead ceiling fans operating it could be tolerable at best.
How anyone can extrapolate to compare outdoor dining comfort in Miami Beach, which is an island that is surrounded by water & bathed in ocean inspired breezes, to the sticky, oppressive stillness of a summer night in Houston is beyond me.
Trust me, there is no breeze in places like Espanola Way, the buildings block it all. I've lived in Houston for 1 year, and I can say that during the summer is their peak outdoor dining period, especially in the evening. No fans are needed too.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM

99 posts, read 127,567 times
Houston summers.
Winter is a beautiful season, but in the summer you can actually DO stuff, like, WALK, for example.
So I can deal with 100° and humidity.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 AM

How City Data differs from a general slice of Americans: Most Like It Hot | Pew Research Center

2-1 Americans prefer hot to cold. Cities like San Diego, Tampa, Orlando are top cities for those who listed hot as their preference. For those who listed cold, Denver, Seattle, and Portland were their top favorites (which is not as cold as Chicago).

Blacks then Hispanics then Whites are more likely to prefer a hot climate. Probably due to skin sensitivity to the sun. Blacks obviously don't burn in the sun.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:20 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,720,757 times
I'd rather take a Minneapolis/Montreal/Chicago etc. long winter over a Houston/Phoenix/Las Vegas etc. long summer. Easily.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 AM

390 posts, read 598,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
A TROPICAL PARADISE for a Vacation. Is more then merely Hot weather. It is a.....
  • Beach scene.
  • Ocean Breeze.
  • Caribbean Blue Waters.
  • Hotels and Clubs with a Bar.
  • Shows and Live Entertainment.
  • Palm Trees and Tropical Flowers.
I have NOTHING AGAINST HOUSTON. But the way it....
  • NEGLECTED ITS SHORLINE To be set aside for PUBLIC RECREATION.
  • DID NOT KEPT BEACHES RESTORED. But left them IN A ERODED STATE.
  • DOES NOT SEEM AS HARBORS AND YACHTING DOES NOT SEEM IMPORTANT.
  • NO AMUSEMENT/ENTERTAINMENT PIERS LIKE THE EAST COAST HAS UP NORTH.
  • ITS WATERS DO NOT HAVE THAT AZURE BLUE YOU GET IN CANCUN AND FLORIDA.
Seems to show A NEGLECT and TURNING A BACK ON A ASSET. Most frontage has private homes. For good beaches you go to Galveston. I also understand, downtown Houston is like 50 miles from the Ocean. But the Inlet is much closer with some offerings.
Think again.

Houston has plenty of palm trees dispersed throughout the metro. They aren't always noticeable because of the variety of other types of trees, i.e. oaks, pines.

Also, there are piers/boardwalks. We have the Kemah Boardwalk in Kemah as well as the Pleasure Pier in Galveston. Neither in the city limits, but both in the metro area.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:29 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,811,775 times
People wear less clothes throughout the year in Houston. You see more skin and more beautifully tanned skin tones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City