Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is in line to be the next Chicago?
Washington DC 4 3.85%
Boston 3 2.88%
Los Angeles 4 3.85%
San Francisco 7 6.73%
Dallas 8 7.69%
Seattle 5 4.81%
Philadelphia 9 8.65%
Houston 28 26.92%
Atlanta 18 17.31%
Miami 4 3.85%
Detroit 4 3.85%
Other 10 9.62%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,496,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That's horse****. The local perspective IS the best perspective. The internet, while informative, cannot substitute that. Things happen quicker in real life than even the internet. Google street view isn't even up to date. How would one know that Frankford Avenue is undergoing construction by the waterfront if you weren't here in Philadelphia? I live in the area and even that caught me off guard. It isn't exactly broadcast on the internet. That's just one example. Stats and bits of data don't tell the whole story.Neighborhood demographics is probably the best example. Yelp can't tell you everything. I'd say the local perspective is at least 75% the true vibe of an area--internet, tv, stats, etc make up the rest...
I agree with you but at the same time a lot of locals are bias or bring hate against their hometowns if they don't like home city and or they are extreme homers and love their hometown so much they can't take any criticism of their hometown, kinda of the most annoying aspect of City Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,549,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Um, no. Not anymore than Chicago is the present of our country. It's not by a long shot.

The present and future of our country is split between Washington D.C. and New York for our power centers, between Silicon Valley and New York for our captains of industry, and between Los Angeles and New York for our actors, rock stars, and athletes.
LOL, LA can't even field a professional football team!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,940,879 times
Quote:
That's horse****. The local perspective IS the best perspective. The internet, while informative, cannot substitute that. Things happen quicker in real life than even the internet. Google street view isn't even up to date. How would one know that Frankford Avenue is undergoing construction by the waterfront if you weren't here in Philadelphia? I live in the area and even that caught me off guard. It isn't exactly broadcast on the internet. That's just one example. Stats and bits of data don't tell the whole story.Neighborhood demographics is probably the best example. Yelp can't tell you everything. I'd say the local perspective is at least 75% the true vibe of an area--internet, tv, stats, etc make up the rest...
I sure hope you don't speak of any city, other than where you live, then.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I sure hope you don't speak of any city, other than where you live, then.
I won't, not at the level that steeps frequently does. You don't see me commenting on Chicago's bungalows or crime issues, do you? Any city I'm not incredibly familiar with, I always preface it. Which honestly means I'm only qualified to speak "in-depth" on NYC, Philadelphia, Hampton Roads, Montgomery AL, and Miami, at this point, having been a local recently in each. Everywhere else to me is the "internet" or 5-10 years ago, and I adjust my conversations accordingly.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:54 PM

41 posts, read 55,813 times
Of course there is a lot of information on the internet that can be researched..but then what is the point of the forums? And much of what is online can be outdated or just plain wrong. There are many legit websites but anyone can make a website and write anything they want. And every opinion means something. My "beef" (i hate that word) is with people who are just cutting and pasting so called facts without any personal knowledge of the city. Or they have visited..We all know visiting is a lot different then living somewhere. There are many places I would choose to visit but not choose to live in. Also a city can seem wonderful if you have just moved there. It can take time to get the real feel and facts of a place.

I do love Chicago but my heart breaks when I see how much it has changed in the past couple decades. The financial and crime problems are very complex and not easily fixed. The city is driving people and businesses out with taxes, regulations and fines. It is not being negative..it is being realistic and I deal with the good and bad every day so yes, I do get peeved when I see posts from people who havent lived here in decades or are real new to the city or are gaining all their info from Google

Old 07-14-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciLou View Post
Of course there is a lot of information on the internet that can be researched..but then what is the point of the forums? And much of what is online can be outdated or just plain wrong. There are many legit websites but anyone can make a website and write anything they want. And every opinion means something. My "beef" (i hate that word) is with people who are just cutting and pasting so called facts without any personal knowledge of the city. Or they have visited..We all know visiting is a lot different then living somewhere. There are many places I would choose to visit but not choose to live in. Also a city can seem wonderful if you have just moved there. It can take time to get the real feel and facts of a place.

I do love Chicago but my heart breaks when I see how much it has changed in the past couple decades. The financial and crime problems are very complex and not easily fixed. The city is driving people and businesses out with taxes, regulations and fines. It is not being negative..it is being realistic and I deal with the good and bad every day so yes, I do get peeved when I see posts from people who havent lived here in decades or are real new to the city or are gaining all their info from Google
Please hope that we don't accept your premise that all is gloom and doom in Chicago. I have two brothers that live there, and they love it. You, clearly, do not. I guess if you read the Tribune and the Sun Times, the information you get is not factual? The articles published by business magazines are not factual? Please, I would believe what I see, hear, and read, over someone who clearly has a problem with Chicago.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Please hope that we don't accept your premise that all is gloom and doom in Chicago. I have two brothers that live there, and they love it. You, clearly, do not. I guess if you read the Tribune and the Sun Times, the information you get is not factual? The articles published by business magazines are not factual? Please, I would believe what I see, hear, and read, over someone who clearly has a problem with Chicago.
But again, you're reading and hearing from a LOCAL perspective. The only true way to have a counteropinion that holds significant weight would for you to be a Chicago local...

Old 07-14-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
But again, you're reading and hearing from a LOCAL perspective. The only true way to have a counteropinion that holds significant weight would for you to be a Chicago local...
I'm on news sites all the time...please don't lecture me that I don't know what's going on in Chicago, or that I don't know the neighborhoods, etc. I might not know which street is closed today, but I get there often enough to have a feel of the pulse of the city. I have many friends that live there, and my children have friends who moved there after college. We all talk, very frequently. I don't think that Chicago is perfect, I'm well aware of its flaws, but to assume that someone can know nothing of a city unless they live there, is pretty shallow thinking. I guess you know only of where you live, but most aren't like that.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:18 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,538,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciLou View Post
The Next Chicago? As a native here(city native..not the burbs..sorry but I want to scream when someone who is in a burb 20 miles away thinks they know the city) who is trying to get out trust me no city WANTS to be the next Chicago. Horrible weather in both winter and summer. Very expensive and getting worse. #1 in bedbug infestations. On the verge of bankruptcy..um, wait I left out the crime!

I have watched Chicago slide downhill since the mid 80;s..it bounced back in the 90's but has been tumbling since the turn of the century. Chicago is losing population so I am not the only onewho is totally fed up
hmm only 40 posts and already an agenda....shocking. It appears from your other posts that you are a middle aged woman who is tired of "big city things" like traffic and noise etc. That fine and dandy, but no need to spew misinformation and bs to everyone to fulfill the chip on your shoulder. It was 90 and sunny in Chicago yesterday. 82 and partly cloudy today. 2 days ago it was 80 and sunny. Such a terrible summer. There were random cool days throughout the summer (as there has been, along with other parts of the Midwest and Northeast [and crazy rain in some places too]), mostly due the whacky jet streams North America has been having this year. But your average Chicago summer is totally on par with what a normal humid continental climate zone summer is in the rest of the midwest/NE.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 07-14-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
One more thing, you've just rendered 75% of the posters of this forum insignificant, as EVERYONE has an opinion of a city other than the one where they live. Don't you read the threads??? By your standards, our opinion ONLY counts if we live in a certain city. I don't think so. And besides, Chicago is Chicago...there is and will be no other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City