Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:07 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The size/scope of the airport is the reason many corporations list as a big reason for relocation to Atlanta. Another great aspect of Hartsfield: Hartsfield?Jackson ranks No. 2 in airport affordability - Atlanta Business Chronicle

I have never seen Schenley Park or Great Allegheny Passage, but I'm betting that Piedmont or Chastain Park and the Silver Comet Trail or the PATH Foundation trails might possibly compete with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chastain_Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Comet_Trail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PATH_Foundation
Sorry, but when it comes to biking, nothing in Atlanta (or vicinity) compares to the Great Allegheny Passage, which has quickly become one of Pittsburgh's most noteworthy outdoor recreational assets. Thanks to the Great Allegheny Passage, it's possible to bike from Pittsburgh all the way to Washington DC on your own exclusive right of way. In fact, the trail passes through the Laurel Highlands, which is one of the most underrated areas for outdoor recreation in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 01:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Sorry, but when it comes to biking, nothing in Atlanta (or vicinity) compares to the Great Allegheny Passage, which has quickly become one of Pittsburgh's most noteworthy outdoor recreational assets. Thanks to the Great Allegheny Passage, it's possible to bike from Pittsburgh all the way to Washington DC on your own exclusive right of way. In fact, the trail passes through the Laurel Highlands, which is one of the most underrated areas for outdoor recreation in the United States.
Silver Comet Trai which connects to another trail in Alabama.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Pittsburgh beats Atlanta hands down in every comparison other than traffic congestion. Atlanta wins if traffic is what you are looking for.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:25 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Pittsburgh beats Atlanta hands down in every comparison other than traffic congestion. Atlanta wins if traffic is what you are looking for.
That's funny.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:03 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Silver Comet Trai which connects to another trail in Alabama.
But the Silver Comet Trail is only 61 miles long. Conversely, the Great Allegheny Passage is 150 miles long, and it also passes by several noteworthy tourist destinations. It also connects at the Pittsburgh end with the Montour Trail, which itself is 59 miles long. The Silver Comet Trail compares more closely to the Montour Trail than the Great Allegheny Passage.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Quote:
But the Silver Comet Trail is only 61 miles long. Conversely, the Great Allegheny Passage is 150 miles long, and it also passes by several noteworthy tourist destinations. It also connects at the Pittsburgh end with the Montour Trail, which itself is 59 miles long. The Silver Comet Trail compares more closely to the Montour Trail than the Great Allegheny Passage.
Great Allegheny Passage trail seems very cool - it allows you to bike from the Point where the rivers meet next to downtown Pittsburgh, to the Georgetown section of DC along the Potomac. All while going through some very good scenery along the way.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:01 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
walkability: Probably Pittsburgh
--nice downtown area: Pittsburgh. Love the 3 Rivers area.
--public transport: Egde goes to Atlanta, even though Pittsburgh's is pretty good too.
--safety: Hands down, Pittsburgh.
--culture (libraries, museums, and music/dance, especially): Would have to give the edge to Atlanta.

Both are good metro areas. They're good in different ways, though.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:06 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Atlanta's too damn spread out for me, the city like LA was built for everyone having their own personal cars ..... and every major Roadway is named Peachtree, I don't understand that one there.

Like Pittsburgh and Seattle, I do love how its covered in Lush Greenness ...

Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Pittsburgh is my favorite Pennsylvania city by far actually. The only things I didn't like about Pittsburgh were the climate (so cold) and the isolation from other major cities (save for Cleveland).

On a personal level, I'll have to go with Atlanta though. I find Atlanta's airport extremely attractive and for just a 6 million persons metropolitan area in the United States, it has an incredible array of destination offerings. Traveling is my hobby. I cannot envision life without travel, so Atlanta is well respected in my books for serving as a gateway to cities, countries, and continents of the world. I also like the housing in the Atlanta area and the amenities, both are very attractive to me. The diversity and influence of Korean culture is also more up my alley as well. I don't like Atlanta's weather, in fact, it makes me flustered when Atlantans call it "Hotlanta". It is not. No city with an actual winter deserves a nickname like that and I don't consider it a "warm weather city" at all. I consider it a 4 seasons city and a "benign" cold weather city. Not hot enough year round for my tastes but I can look past that.

Pittsburgh is great though. Very pretty city and has solid foundational building blocks to build on going into the future. I thoroughly like the industries the region is capable of fostering and attracting; Robotics, technology, education, Biotech, Nanotech, so on. Very well poised for the future. Sort of like a mini-Boston, economically speaking (which is a very very good city to be compared to in terms of industry strength - Boston is a beast in its fields).

For what it is worth, Duke University, Stanford University, Columbia University, and Carnegie Mellon are my 4 favorite schools in all of the United States. I find them attractive on every single level.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:

So...size DOES matter? If it matters with trails then I guess it matters with cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City