Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

ATL reminds me more of a Southern style LA rather than a Southern NYC.
I've never been able to place my finger on the reason I didn't like Atlanta. This is exactly it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:22 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
What argument, I made one statement of what I don't like about Atlanta, its too car centric of a city for my taste, which I still stand behind. I didn't like all the "New-ness" I like some Grittiness.

One Atlanta Homer took offense, as most Homers do when you criticize their city regardless if it true or not.

Maybe I didn't explore ALL of Atlanta to get a "True" sense of it supposed cohesiveness... However I think I've seen enough... Im simply a Northeast Girl, and prefer the buildout of the Northeastern Cities.

ATL reminds me more of a Southern style LA rather than a Southern NYC.

What newness? The towers on the skyline? It sounds like that's all you know about Atlanta, because the city limits of Atlanta (and even the suburban town centers) is far from new underneath the shiny towers. People making comments about Atlanta being new or lacking grit obviously don't know enough about it to form an honest opinion. I think when people visit a city they rarely look for the gritty areas, but why would that lead to an assumption that they don't exist? They very much do...and there have been some great photo threads posted on this site concentrating on the gritty side of Atlanta.

Some people love to accuse anyone speaking positively about Atlanta of being a homer. Yeah, we've never heard that one before. It sounds like another case of bitterness toward a southern city that has been a relocation magnet for millions of people from your region. It's okay though, we're used to that point of view.

Ironically we have hundreds of thousands of "Northeast Girls" in Atlanta that seem to love it, but to love a city you have to approach it with an open mind. You should try it...I have found something to love about every city I've ever visited and have thoroughly enjoyed travelling to every major city in the U.S. without preconceived negative perceptions.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:12 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
What newness? The towers on the skyline? It sounds like that's all you know about Atlanta, because the city limits of Atlanta (and even the suburban town centers) is far from new underneath the shiny towers. People making comments about Atlanta being new or lacking grit obviously don't know enough about it to form an honest opinion. I think when people visit a city they rarely look for the gritty areas, but why would that lead to an assumption that they don't exist? They very much do...and there have been some great photo threads posted on this site concentrating on the gritty side of Atlanta.

Some people love to accuse anyone speaking positively about Atlanta of being a homer. Yeah, we've never heard that one before. It sounds like another case of bitterness toward a southern city that has been a relocation magnet for millions of people from your region. It's okay though, we're used to that point of view.

Ironically we have hundreds of thousands of "Northeast Girls" in Atlanta that seem to love it, but to love a city you have to approach it with an open mind. You should try it...I have found something to love about every city I've ever visited and have thoroughly enjoyed travelling to every major city in the U.S. without preconceived negative perceptions.
Homer - Local resident that takes any criticism of siad place as a personal slight ....

I said 1 negative critic about Atlanta and you went 'Bat Sh*t Crazy' about it, just your doing here. That's a HOMER!

This is my main hate about CvC, it's full of Homers that are very thin skinned and can't take any Opinionated Criticism of "Their City"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Those NE girls are not this Northeast Girl. Atlanta is a fine city for many, as you can tell by its growth... I just simply pointed out what I don't like about it. I'm entitled to MY OPINION.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've never been able to place my finger on the reason I didn't like Atlanta. This is exactly it.
I've always thought of Houston, Dallas, and Miami as miniature LAs. Atlanta to me just feels like a larger version of a typical Southern town.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:58 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
Homer - Local resident that takes any criticism of siad place as a personal slight ....

I said 1 negative critic about Atlanta and you went 'Bat Sh*t Crazy' about it, just your doing here. That's a HOMER!

This is my main hate about CvC, it's full of Homers that are very thin skinned and can't take any Opinionated Criticism of "Their City"

Those NE girls are not this Northeast Girl. Atlanta is a fine city for many, as you can tell by its growth... I just simply pointed out what I don't like about it. I'm entitled to MY OPINION.
What you said about Atlanta's lack of grit, just simply isn't true. Say something like Atlanta is too spread out, or the roads have a lot of potholes and I doubt many would take offense. It's not being a homer, he's just defending the truth.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I've always thought of Houston, Dallas, and Miami as miniature LAs. Atlanta to me just feels like a larger version of a typical Southern town.
What is a typical southern town?

Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
That poster said that Atlanta felt more like a southern-style LA to him/her than a southern-style NYC. And Atlanta has its similarities to LA as well; the movie industry, higher ed, Olympic host cities, etc.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That poster said that Atlanta felt more like a southern-style LA to him/her than a southern-style NYC. And Atlanta has its similarities to LA as well; the movie industry, higher ed, Olympic host cities, etc.
they are not similar at all people really need to stop with the shallow comparisons.

I just got back from ATL. Had a great time! The similarities you pointed out are correct. But that is where they just about end point blank.

Last edited by jamills21; 03-28-2016 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 07:55 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
they are not similar at all people really need to stop with the shallow comparisons.

I just got back from ATL. Had a great time! The similarities you pointed out are correct. But that is where they just about end point blank.
It wasn't a shallow comparison; it was to make a point about the general layout and culture of Atlanta. I agree that Atlanta is closer to LA than NYC in such respects.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:40 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It wasn't a shallow comparison; it was to make a point about the general layout and culture of Atlanta. I agree that Atlanta is closer to LA than NYC in such respects.
ATL is closer to ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City