Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the New York of the South?
Atlanta 20 36.36%
Miami 20 36.36%
Houston 8 14.55%
Dallas 2 3.64%
Other (Post It) 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:06 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,917,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
There are PLENTY of parts of NYC where you don't feel like you're in America (Washington Heights, South Bronx, Sunset Park, Brighton Beach, Borough Park, pretty much all of Queens, etc.). In this regard, Miami feels incredibly like NYC.
Never said there weren't parts of NYC that are like that, but as a whole I'm not seeing it. Not to mention most of those areas are or feel as big as, or bigger than, all of South Beach.

When I'm in NYC people seemed to be in more of a hurry, but at the beach it was go out and party all the time. I never really did figure out how to manage that sort of lifestyle and still get work done.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
I agree with those who say the South doesn't have a New York and doesn't need one. There is not a "New York of the West" or a "New York of the Midwest" or a "New York of the Northwest," etc. There doesn't need to be a New York of the South. We've argued ad naseum about what city leads the southeastern region, and Atlanta usually comes out on top because its rivals (Houston and Miami mainly) are in "semi-South" areas. Atlanta is the largest solidly southern city. It's no New York though. It's working on becoming a minature L.A. -- with emphasis on the minature -- but it has a long way to go.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,408,088 times
I voted Miami but honestly there is no New York of the south. People speficially move to the south to escape places like New York so there'll never be a southern city even similar to New York imo.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,802,515 times
Miami is the largest and most compact urban center in the South, and of course is heavily populated and influenced by ex-New Yorkers. Overall, I'd say it easily comes the closest to having a NY feel.

Houston is the most diverse, has the most developed culinary scene, and the most powerful economy in the South to include one of the busiest seaports in the western hemisphere.

Dallas is a fashion and luxury goods hub, but certainly no more than Miami is.

Atlanta is the only city with heavy rail transit. It's also the historic capital of the South, and is arguably the most relevant from a pop culture standpoint...After living there, though, it's incredibly difficult for me to see how it could call itself the "New York" of anything except the state of Georgia. It is incredibly wooded, heavily suburban, slower paced, and it is neither the largest or most economically important city in the entire region.

But if your definition of the South doesn't include Florida or Texas, then the "Big Peach" is your winner.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 08-05-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,157,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Miami is the largest and most compact urban center in the South, and of course is heavily populated and influenced by ex-New Yorkers. Overall, I'd say it easily comes the closest to having a NY feel.

Houston is the most diverse, has the most developed culinary scene, and the most powerful economy in the South to include one of the busiest seaports in the western hemisphere.

Dallas is a fashion hub, but certainly no more than Miami is.

Atlanta is the only city with heavy rail transit. It's also the historic capital of the South, and is arguably the most relevant from a pop culture standpoint...After living there, though, it's incredibly difficult for me to see how it could call itself the "New York" of anything except the state of Georgia. It is incredibly wooded, heavily suburban, slower paced, and it is neither the largest or most economically important city in the entire region.

But if your definition of the South doesn't include Florida or Texas, then the "Big Peach" is your winner.
I don't see Dallas at all as a fashion hub compared to Miami. In fact I'd rank Atlanta above Dallas. After NYC and LA, comes Miami in her influence in fashion.

Atlanta is not really the historic capital of the south. Atlanta was a small, dusty railroad town up until maybe the 1900s and sunbelt boom. Cities like Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans represent the capitals of the old South. Especially New Orleans and Charleston. Atlanta is the cultural mecca of black Americans, no one else really. You can say she definitely has a role, but as you say there is very little NY feel to Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,152,628 times
Miami doesn't really have a NY feel either. Aesthetically, it just completely lacks the brick buildings and spires/crowns of NYC. It looks like a Latin American city. On top of that, it doesn't have a white collar economy like NYC. It almost completely lacks a solid Middle class base.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,781,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I don't see Dallas at all as a fashion hub compared to Miami. In fact I'd rank Atlanta above Dallas. After NYC and LA, comes Miami in her influence in fashion.

Atlanta is not really the historic capital of the south. Atlanta was a small, dusty railroad town up until maybe the 1900s and sunbelt boom. Cities like Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans represent the capitals of the old South. Especially New Orleans and Charleston. Atlanta is the cultural mecca of black Americans, no one else really. You can say she definitely has a role, but as you say there is very little NY feel to Atlanta.
Not according to the Global Fashion Monitor. Dallas outranks Atlanta. Both are behind Miami obviously.

To answer the question of which city in the NYC of the South, its simple: NOWHERE.

Not Miami, not Atlanta, not Houston, and not Dallas. There is no NYC of anywhere. There is only one NYC. I dont even like the place, but its far too big, unique, and global to have a comparrison anywhere else in the US. Only London, Paris, and Tokyo even come close.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,833,531 times
There isn't one. Closest thing would be Miami but that resembles L.A. more than it does New York.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:20 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,802,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Not a chance. Dallas is the home of Neiman Marcus, and the city's couture element is a regular fixture in Vogue magazine. Fashion and Dallas go back generations.

What major high fashion brand has ever hosted its own show in Atlanta?

Quote:
I never said Atlanta has always been the largest or most bustling city, but no other city played as crucial a role during the Civil War and Civil Rights eras; the two most defining periods in Southern history.

Atlanta is a cultural mecca for some Blacks. Not all or even most.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,188,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Miami doesn't really have a NY feel either. Aesthetically, it just completely lacks the brick buildings and spires/crowns of NYC. It looks like a Latin American city. On top of that, it doesn't have a white collar economy like NYC. It almost completely lacks a solid Middle class base.
Aesthetically, hell no. That's Atlanta's advantage here. I guess brick doesn't do well in year round tropical heat. But demographically? Miami is very much a mini NYC. Swap out Cubans for Dominicans/Puerto Ricans, and you have VERY similar demographics. Probably the most demographically similar city in the world to NYC. And in my opinion, people make cities. Not skyscrapers, bridges, wealth per capita, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.