Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the New York of the South?
Atlanta 20 36.36%
Miami 20 36.36%
Houston 8 14.55%
Dallas 2 3.64%
Other (Post It) 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Swap out Cubans for Dominicans/Puerto Ricans, and you have VERY similar demographics. Probably the most demographically similar city in the world to NYC. And in my opinion, people make cities. Not skyscrapers, bridges, wealth per capita, etc.
No, you dont have anything of the sort. Miami has virtually no Asians and NYC is around 50% non-Hispanic white.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:07 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Aesthetically, hell no. That's Atlanta's advantage here. I guess brick doesn't do well in year round tropical heat. But demographically? Miami is very much a mini NYC. Swap out Cubans for Dominicans/Puerto Ricans, and you have VERY similar demographics. Probably the most demographically similar city in the world to NYC. And in my opinion, people make cities. Not skyscrapers, bridges, wealth per capita, etc.
No. Cubans are far more prominent in Miami than any Latino group is in New York. NY also has a far larger Asian population.

As I suggested above, Houston is the southern city that comes closest to mirroring NYC's demographics. Just swap out Puerto Ricans with Mexicans.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, you dont have anything of the sort. Miami has virtually no Asians and NYC is around 50% non-Hispanic white.
I'll only give you the Asian population, which is incredibly small in Miami (though overrepresented in the hospitality/foreign investment industry).

Otherwise, very similar. NYC is only around 33% non-Hispanic white too, btw. "Miami" (the CSA for real life purposes) has a very large Jewish and European population, similar to NYC. Miami also has a very large black Caribbean population, again similar to NYC. There's a substantial African American population, like NYC, and as I've mentioned, swap out Cubans for PRs/DRs (honestly, the same ***t and I say this as a Dominican), and it's NYC junior.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
No. Cubans are far more prominent in Miami than any Latino group is in New York. NY also has a far larger Asian population.

As I suggested above, Houston is the southern city that comes closest to mirroring NYC's demographics. Just swap out Puerto Ricans with Mexicans.
Puerto Ricans and now Dominicans are very prominent in NYC (and Mexicans are on deck). They just haven't acheived the same amount of political power as Cubans because there's far more competition among racial blocs in NYC. WASPs have fled both city propers, but NYC has more ethnic whites than Miami, along with Asians. Kind of hard to dominate a city like the Cubans do Miami (and really only Miami proper, along with Hialeah, Doral, and close by suburbs. Not Miami Beach, tbh. And once you cross into Broward, it's whites/Jews with the influence.)

Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I'll only give you the Asian population, which is incredibly small in Miami (though overrepresented in the hospitality/foreign investment industry).

Otherwise, very similar. NYC is only around 33% non-Hispanic white too, btw. "Miami" (the CSA for real life purposes) has a very large Jewish and European population, similar to NYC. Miami also has a very large black Caribbean population, again similar to NYC. There's a substantial African American population, like NYC, and as I've mentioned, swap out Cubans for PRs/DRs (honestly, the same ***t and I say this as a Dominican), and it's NYC junior.
Quote:
Puerto Ricans and now Dominicans are very prominent in NYC (and Mexicans are on deck). They just haven't acheived the same amount of political power as Cubans because there's far more competition among racial blocs in NYC. WASPs have fled both city propers, but NYC has more ethnic whites than Miami, along with Asians. Kind of hard to dominate a city like the Cubans do Miami (and really only Miami proper, along with Hialeah, Doral, and close by suburbs. Not Miami Beach, tbh. And once you cross into Broward, it's whites/Jews with the influence.)
You're basically saying that many of the groups which are significantly represented in New York are also significant in Miami (West Indians, Jews, etc.), which is true, but if you're looking at the percentages of Blacks, Whites, Latinos, Asians, and numerous nationalities in each city, Houston (and Dallas) is still more like NY than Miami is.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,867 times
Quote:

Asians are 10% of NYC. The three big groups in NYC are latinos (from the Caribbean), ethnic Whites, and blacks (both foreign and American). Miami is far closer to NYC than Houston. The whites in Houston are primarily American and southerners or midwestern transplants. The whites in Miami are ethnic (Italian, slavs, etc) or transplants from the East Coast. Yes, the primary latinos in Miami are Cuban but Cubans share much more in common with Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc than Mexicans.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Asians are 10% of NYC. The three big groups in NYC are latinos (from the Caribbean), ethnic Whites, and blacks (both foreign and American). Miami is far closer to NYC than Houston. The whites in Houston are primarily American and southerners or midwestern transplants. The whites in Miami are ethnic (Italian, slavs, etc) or transplants from the East Coast. Yes, the primary latinos in Miami are Cuban but Cubans share much more in common with Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc than Mexicans.
Houston more diverse than Miami. NYC is more diverse than both. Miami may have the larger Hispanic prescence as well as the European presence, but Miami lacks any significant Asian or African populaion that Houston (and even Dallas) has.

Again, there is no NYC of the South. Miami is a Latin American city for all intents and purposes. It reminds me more of San Juan than any other city in the mainland US.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
You're basically saying that many of the groups which are significantly represented in New York are also significant in Miami (West Indians, Jews, etc.), which is true, but if you're looking at the percentages of Blacks, Whites, Latinos, Asians, and numerous nationalities in each city, Houston (and Dallas) is still more like NY than Miami is.
But you're only looking at "percentages" of races, not influence. Easy mistake to make, but not the real world. West Indians in NYC have FAR less influence in NYC than they do in Miami (which is not that great to begin with, but at least they're very visible and have their own nationally recognized neighborhood). So when people on CD play the race percentage game, I take it with a grain of salt.

Name me a Houston/Dallas Latino that's been mayor of those cities? Nothing? Cool, NYC neither, but Miami for sure.

Well then, name me Houston/Dallas Mexicans more famous than Jennifer Lopez, John Leguizamo and Zoe Saldana? Nothing? My point is, percentages are great (and let's not act like Houston/Dallas have a huge lead here), but that's not the whole story. I still stand by my assertion that Miami is far more similar to NYC than Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Politically, NYC doesn't have as strong as a Latino base (as explained above). But overall influence, mostly through pop culture? Right there, far stronger than the others.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Houston more diverse than Miami. NYC is more diverse than both. Miami may have the larger Hispanic prescence as well as the European presence, but Miami lacks any significant Asian or African populaion that Houston (and even Dallas) has.

Again, there is no NYC of the South. Miami is a Latin American city for all intents and purposes. It reminds me more of San Juan than any other city in the mainland US.
I don't see Houston as more diverse than Miami. Racially yes (because of Asians) but in terms of international representation, no. Both the latino, white, and black racial categories in Miami are far more diverse than Houston's. And part of what makes NYC, NY is the diversity in the white population.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I've already acknowledged this in the post above you.

By the way, I think you're making the common mistake of oversimplifying Mexican people. Mexico is a very large nation with many different cultures and people that only share the same language and government. A native of Yucatan is not going to have more in common with someone from Baja California than they would someone from Cuba, which is a short distance across the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.