Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco becoming more Influential than Los Angeles?
San Franciso is Becoming more Influential Globally 72 37.89%
Los Angeles is Still more Influential Globally 118 62.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:25 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
Yes, tech is becoming a bigger part of ppl's lives; it's changing or taking over industries (including energy, healthcare, finance, entertainment, automobiles, media, etc.). SF and the Bay Area is the world's center of all that; it'll never be as big as LA due to NIMBYs and geographical limitations, but it will be more influential

LA, imo, for its size, doesn't really have great influence the rest of the world; despite all the stereotypes, LA is just an ordinary city--or more properly, a federation of mid-sized cities--with a jumble of industries that happens to be very large. LA used to have influence through entertainment and the aerospace/military industry, but both industries have significantly waned in LA
An "ordinary" city with the 3rd largest GDP in the world yeah right.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:36 PM

411 posts, read 720,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
An "ordinary" city with the 3rd largest GDP in the world yeah right.
By "ordinary," I mean there's nothing particularly special and unique about LA (other than nice weather). For example, there's no 1-2 industries that really define it anymore. Plus, it's so large because it's really a collection of at least 20 fairly unique and independent mid-sized cities.

Also, to be clear, outside tourism, foreigners buying real estate, and "Silicon Beach" that's on the west-side of the city and just a small imitation of Silicon Valley, the city isn't doing too well economically.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,182,294 times
Quote:
By "ordinary," I mean there's nothing particularly special and unique about LA (other than nice weather). For example, there's no 1-2 industries that really define it anymore. Plus, it's so large because it's really a collection of at least 20 fairly unique and independent mid-sized cities.

Also, to be clear, outside tourism, foreigners buying real estate, and "Silicon Beach" that's on the west-side of the city and just a small imitation of Silicon Valley, the city isn't doing too well economically.
And the Bay Area isn't a collection of at least 20 fairly unique and independent mid-sized cities? Lol. That's news to me. Guess the Santa Clara 49ers and all the news coming out of there doesn't count

Also, not doing well outside of X,Y,Z arguments aren't particularly strong. The same could be said of any city...

Old 08-08-2015, 01:45 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Los Angeles.

Before City-Data, I honestly did not really associate San Francisco with the internet or computers and technology. But Los Angeles is immediately recognized as the home to Hollywood, not just here in the USA but around the world.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
And the Bay Area isn't a collection of at least 20 fairly unique and independent mid-sized cities? Lol. That's news to me. Guess the Santa Clara 49ers and all the news coming out of there doesn't count

Also, not doing well outside of X,Y,Z arguments aren't particularly strong. The same could be said of any city...
The Bay Area has 3 major/large urban centers (SF, SJ, Oakland) and then a lot of suburbs of varying density

LA on the other hand, has well over 20 and outside of DTLA (which itself isn't that large), they are all mid sized and not quite suburbs, but not quite major urban centers. That's my point. LA is more like a city-state than anything else; in fact, it doesn't really make sense to refer to LA as a "city"

Old 08-08-2015, 01:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,112,482 times
Why do ppl care if the latest movie they saw was made in LA or if their newest tricknology purchase was R&D'd in the Bay? Why do these already ridiculous threads somehow get even more ridiculous?

Old 08-08-2015, 01:54 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times
Quote:
The Bay Area has 3 major/large urban centers (SF, SJ, Oakland) and then a lot of suburbs of varying density

LA on the other hand, has well over 20 and outside of DTLA (which itself isn't that large), they are all mid sized and not quite suburbs, but not quite major urban centers. That's my point. LA is more like a city-state than anything else; in fact, it doesn't really make sense to refer to LA as a "city"
Long Beach has 460,000 people which is more people than the city of Atlanta.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,813 times
Y'all seriously downplay LA's influence when you boil it down to "Hollywood celebrities". I challenge you to take the media you consume in one day- movies, TV, music, video games, youtube videos, etc, and do the legwork to find out what city it was produced in. Los Angeles is a media juggernaut.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Long Beach has 460,000 people which is more people than the city of Atlanta.
Depends on how you draw the boundaries. Atlanta metro is 5.5M and CSA is over 6M

Here's a pic of downtown Atlanta:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...a_Downtown.jpg
Here's a pic of downtown Long Beach: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ong_beach3.jpg

You tell me which looks like a bigger city

Keep in mind that ATL is probably just as, if not more, sprawled out than LA, just on a smaller scale

Old 08-08-2015, 02:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,182,294 times
Quote:

You're cherry picking. Fremont, Santa Rosa, Hayward, Santa Clara, etc. don't count as mid-sized, not quite suburbs but not quite major urban centers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City