Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco becoming more Influential than Los Angeles?
San Franciso is Becoming more Influential Globally 72 37.89%
Los Angeles is Still more Influential Globally 118 62.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 02:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times

Advertisements

I think most people will get the gist of the thread (which is, Is San Francisco surpassing L.A in Global Influence?) and vote accordingly (SF = Yes & LA = NO, more or less), but I also thought it was worded dumb (same with most of the OP).

Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Am I the only one who finds the poll flawed? The way it's worded, I want to vote for both. "Becoming more" is a lot different than "Is more"...
It is flawed cause there is no heck no option

Old 08-08-2015, 03:26 PM

371 posts, read 454,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The OP is playing slow pitch softball with Montclair.
Montclair never even attacks LA. It's the only other city he'll leave alone.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:50 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,894,385 times
-Which City is more "Necessary" to everyday life Los Angeles (Hollywood, Movies, DVD's, Celebrities etc) or San Francisco (Google, Facebook, Netflix, Twitter, etc), San Francisco

-More Tangible effect on U.S Economy Los Angeles

-More Tangible effect on World Economy San Francisco

-Busiest or More International Airport LAX (don't even know the name of San Frans airport)

-Most Famous/Well Known Los Angeles

-Most Important Industry Hollywood or Silicon valley, Silicon Valley

-Is Los Angeles simply to big to be challenged by San Francisco Yes or No, NO

-Best Future Outlook San Francisco

Most Influential City Is ___Tie_____________

Old 08-08-2015, 03:55 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
-Which City is more "Necessary" to everyday life Los Angeles (Hollywood, Movies, DVD's, Celebrities etc) or San Francisco (Google, Facebook, Netflix, Twitter, etc), San Francisco

-More Tangible effect on U.S Economy Los Angeles

-More Tangible effect on World Economy San Francisco

-Busiest or More International Airport LAX (don't even know the name of San Frans airport)

-Most Famous/Well Known Los Angeles

-Most Important Industry Hollywood or Silicon valley, Silicon Valley

-Is Los Angeles simply to big to be challenged by San Francisco Yes or No, NO

-Best Future Outlook San Francisco

Most Influential City Is ___Tie_____________
Are you serious here? I see you're the OP so I guess this is what you had in mind when you started this... uh, thread... LA is not just Hollywood () and SF is not just Silicon Valley... If this really interests you than you really should educate yourself more on these two regions...

Old 08-09-2015, 01:18 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide
. Is San Francisco Bay Area in Truth becoming Cali's true Alpha City.
They are already both Alpha Cities, according to the authors of the Alpha, Beta, Gamma classification, and deservedly so.

In truth, California has 2 global Alpha cities, which is remarkable.

Los Angeles A
San Francisco A-

According to GAWC, A and A- are pretty much the same thing:

Quote:
alpha & alpha- cities Very important world cities that link major economic regions and states into the world economy.
So its like saying LA got a score of 95/100 and SF got 92/100. Not really that different, but one has to wonder then why LA is so low relative to it's size.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC

North American Alpha Cities IN ORDER:
A++ New York

A+ NONE

A
Chicago
Toronto
Los Angeles

A-
San Francisco
Washington DC
Miami
Boston
Atlanta

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012

Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Oops. I forgot that they rated Mexico City an "A" as well, just below Los Angeles.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
They are already both Alpha Cities, according to the authors of the Alpha, Beta, Gamma classification, and deservedly so.

In truth, California has 2 global Alpha cities, which is remarkable.

Los Angeles A
San Francisco A-

According to GAWC, A and A- are pretty much the same thing:

So its like saying LA got a score of 95/100 and SF got 92/100. Not really that different, but one has to wonder then why LA is so low relative to it's size.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC

North American Alpha Cities IN ORDER:
A++ New York

A+ NONE

A
Chicago
Toronto
Los Angeles

A-
San Francisco
Washington DC
Miami
Boston
Atlanta

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012
I agree with you, I don't think there would be a big difference between an alpha and alpha minus.. I have to admit, GaWC was really smart to come up with this whole alpha, beta, gamma etc way of ranking global cities based on global connectivity.. Its really catchy to say my city is an alpha and yours is a beta nah nah nah nah nah - but like anything this doesn't tell the full story.. Generally speaking though, if you look at the full list of alphas and compare them to beta's than the alpha's would be more globally connected and 'worldly' cities if you will.. Same thing with the complete list of beta's vs gamma's etc etc.. Its not perfect but provides a decent way of classifying a 'world' city imo.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:20 PM

345 posts, read 455,932 times
How much difference does a decade make. I remember after the tech bubble burst San Francisco was on the decline. Now with Apple and Google burgeoning, the tables have turned for the Bay Area.

These two cities are definite stand outs on the world stage. From the same state yet so different culturally...

I love SF with all my heart, but LA is arguably the heart of America's soft power in the world, and a massive manufacturing and shipping center. It literally is a metro-nation unto itself, one of two in our country (Yes, NYC without doubt you are the other one).

Edge to LA, despite the growing influence of Silicon Valley.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oops. I forgot that they rated Mexico City an "A" as well, just below Los Angeles.
Great! Mexico City is a truly global and deserving city. Don't you think so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City