Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 04:11 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,571,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm going with Ames, IA.

This was a bit of a toss up because Ames would be a decent choice for Iowa and Manhattan wouldn't be a bad choice for Kansas. Both are significant college towns, which means they have decent cultural amenities, but Ames looks a little closer to a larger Des Moines, which seems more desirable than Topeka to me (as someone who isn't that familiar with either area).

St. Augustine, FL or Sarasota, FL?
St. Augustine. I really like both areas and could go with either. But I love its history, so that's the tipping point for me.

New Orleans, LA or Las Vegas, NV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 05:45 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,994,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
St. Augustine. I really like both areas and could go with either. But I love its history, so that's the tipping point for me.

New Orleans. Neither are great for employment, both are known for their debauchery. That said, why would I pick lots of tacky imitation architecture and buffets over real, colonial French and Spanish architecture and awesome, authentic seafood?

The only reason to pick Vegas weather over NOLA is because of NOLAs flooding. In all other respects, in terms of comfort, NOLA beats Vegas. And I'll take flat but green terrain with a lake, swamps, and marshes over a rigged but brown, barren desert. Greenery in Vegas is basically all manicured and irrigated. Give the naturally lush landscape of the Gulf Coast.

Pick your tacky tourist town: Gatlinburg vs. Branson, MO vs. Niagara Falls, ON. Which is the worst tourist trap?

Old 09-30-2020, 07:12 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,211,442 times
Hmm I don't know how I feel about this question haha. I actually love Niagara Falls and would love to have lived there for a bit when I was younger. I certainly wouldn't mind spending a decent amount of time there even now (as an older family man). Anyway, that's my answer, although to be fair I've only really passed through Gatlinburg and never been to Branson. Myrtle Beach and Wisconsin Dells could be on this list (I've spent some time in both)

Nashville vs St Louis

Old 09-30-2020, 07:46 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hmm I don't know how I feel about this question haha. I actually love Niagara Falls and would love to have lived there for a bit when I was younger. I certainly wouldn't mind spending a decent amount of time there even now (as an older family man). Anyway, that's my answer, although to be fair I've only really passed through Gatlinburg and never been to Branson. Myrtle Beach and Wisconsin Dells could be on this list (I've spent some time in both)

Nashville vs St Louis
Nashville. Love how the city has changed. Aurora CO or Mesa, AZ.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Las Vegas. Love both but Vegas a little more. Grand Rapids MI or Des Moines IA?

Old 09-30-2020, 07:54 PM

12,241 posts, read 8,163,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Las Vegas. Love both but Vegas a little more. Grand Rapids MI or Des Moines IA?
Des Moines.

Marietta GA or Norfolk VA?

Old 09-30-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Des Moines.

Marietta GA or Norfolk VA?
Marietta. It's near Atlanta. Bossier City LA or Brandon MS?

Old 09-30-2020, 10:00 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Marietta. It's near Atlanta. Bossier City LA or Brandon MS?
None, but I would choose Bossier City because it is at least near New Orleans.

Richmond, VA or Birmingham, AL?

Old 09-30-2020, 10:40 PM

597 posts, read 454,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
None, but I would choose Bossier City because it is at least near New Orleans.

Richmond, VA or Birmingham, AL?

Richmond. Tremendous east coast location. The most urban of the major cities south of DC and north of Atlanta. Neat neighborhoods.... great climate.

Winston Salem NC or Omaha NE

Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Richmond. Tremendous east coast location. The most urban of the major cities south of DC and north of Atlanta. Neat neighborhoods.... great climate.

Winston Salem NC or Omaha NE
Close call. I would give the edge to Omaha for being more independent and unique. Strong midwest culture and civic pride.

Murfreesboro, TN or Aurora, CO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City