Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM

755 posts, read 577,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Ann Arbor! It's a beautiful town.... I would need to escape during winter though

Charlottesville, VA or Ann Arbor, MI?
Ann Arbor, closer proximity to a major city & lower cost of living.

Cocoa, FL or Conway, SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:24 PM

10,774 posts, read 23,924,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Ann Arbor, closer proximity to a major city & lower cost of living.

Cocoa, FL or Conway, SC?
Cocoa, it's got a beach and I wouldn't want to live in SC.

Chicago, IL or Washington, DC?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:09 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,494,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Cocoa, it's got a beach and I wouldn't want to live in SC.

Chicago, IL or Washington, DC?
Chicago any day. More affordable and larger city.

Knoxville, TN or Toledo, OH?

Old 12-29-2018, 08:40 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,978,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Chicago any day. More affordable and larger city.

Knoxville, TN or Toledo, OH?
Toledo, as it's just an hour from Detroit, 90 minutes from Cleveland and about four from Chicago. It's also cheaper and more affordable. It's also near Lake Erie, which keeps it nice and pleasant in the summer and is on the right side of the lake to avoid heavy lake effect snow, and it doesn't get the extreme cold/heat that is more common in the central/western Midwest. My accent better suits that region, too.

Johnson City, NY or Johnson City, TN?

Old 12-29-2018, 08:50 PM

256 posts, read 153,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Toledo, as it's just an hour from Detroit, 90 minutes from Cleveland and about four from Chicago. It's also cheaper and more affordable. It's also near Lake Erie, which keeps it nice and pleasant in the summer and is on the right side of the lake to avoid heavy lake effect snow, and it doesn't get the extreme cold/heat that is more common in the central/western Midwest. My accent better suits that region, too.

Johnson City, NY or Johnson City, TN?
Johnson City, TN for its relative proximity to Cleveland/Chattanooga, TN, among others.

How about one of today's big college football matchups...Norman, OK or Tuscaloosa, AL?

Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,978,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLover27 View Post
Johnson City, TN for its relative proximity to Cleveland/Chattanooga, TN, among others.

How about one of today's big college football matchups...Norman, OK or Tuscaloosa, AL?
Norman for me. The job I work with has a major secondary office there, and I despise anything from AL outside of Huntsville. I also like how OK has some "Big Sky" scenery nearby compared to the subtropical deciduous forests of AL. Even OKC's airport is better than Birmingham's, and its a longer drive there than Norman to OKC! Plus, for major league sports, OKC has the NBA and three hours away is Dallas, which has the NHL, which Atlanta, three hours from Tuscaloosa lacks. It's also right near the middle of historic Route 66 which is always a road I wanted to ride on. OKC also has a better airport than BHM in terms of destinations. It also gets more interesting weather with summers that aren't quite as persistently hot/humid and a better chance at snow each winter due to it being more continental and slightly further north. The tornado threats scare me though, since both areas are known for them.

The South Bronx, NYC vs. South Central LA (the area south of USC, north of the 105, and within a couple miles of the 110)

Old 12-30-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Norman for me. The job I work with has a major secondary office there, and I despise anything from AL outside of Huntsville. I also like how OK has some "Big Sky" scenery nearby compared to the subtropical deciduous forests of AL. Even OKC's airport is better than Birmingham's, and its a longer drive there than Norman to OKC! Plus, for major league sports, OKC has the NBA and three hours away is Dallas, which has the NHL, which Atlanta, three hours from Tuscaloosa lacks. It's also right near the middle of historic Route 66 which is always a road I wanted to ride on. OKC also has a better airport than BHM in terms of destinations. It also gets more interesting weather with summers that aren't quite as persistently hot/humid and a better chance at snow each winter due to it being more continental and slightly further north. The tornado threats scare me though, since both areas are known for them.

The South Bronx, NYC vs. South Central LA (the area south of USC, north of the 105, and within a couple miles of the 110)
Neither is a great option, but if it's gotta be a hard knock life, then I'd probably be happier in LA.

Santa Barbara, CA or Laguna Beach, CA?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:45 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,906,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Neither is a great option, but if it's gotta be a hard knock life, then I'd probably be happier in LA.

Santa Barbara, CA or Laguna Beach, CA?
Tougher than I would've thought... Laguna Beach is one of the premier oceanfront communities in the USA while Santa Barbara seems like a wonderful place to live as well, while being a bit more down to earth and more city-like. Although I like Laguna Beach's access to the rest of the LA metro better, I think I'd fit in much better in Santa Barbara and would still be able to access LA's amenities at a satisfactory amount. Santa Barbara for me.

Cleveland, OH or Kansas City, MO?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:37 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,225,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Tougher than I would've thought... Laguna Beach is one of the premier oceanfront communities in the USA while Santa Barbara seems like a wonderful place to live as well, while being a bit more down to earth and more city-like. Although I like Laguna Beach's access to the rest of the LA metro better, I think I'd fit in much better in Santa Barbara and would still be able to access LA's amenities at a satisfactory amount. Santa Barbara for me.

Cleveland, OH or Kansas City, MO?
Um, Kansas City, despite its current lack of good rail transit beyond the starter streetcar line. Though this isn't the slam dunk I think some might think it is. Cleveland's nightlife district in Ohio City definitely gives Westport a run for its money, and it may come down to whether you're a rock 'n' roll aficionado or a World War I history buff. But I'll take the Country Club Plaza over Shaker Square.

Washington Crossing, Pa., or Concord, Mass.?

Old 12-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Um, Kansas City, despite its current lack of good rail transit beyond the starter streetcar line. Though this isn't the slam dunk I think some might think it is. Cleveland's nightlife district in Ohio City definitely gives Westport a run for its money, and it may come down to whether you're a rock 'n' roll aficionado or a World War I history buff. But I'll take the Country Club Plaza over Shaker Square.

Washington Crossing, Pa., or Concord, Mass.?
Concord, Mass, it's a beautiful town. It's not hard to imagine what it looked like in the late 18th century with a nice historic stock of real colonial housing. Most of the town is zoned as semi rural with plenty of acreage and a nice pastoral look. Swimming at Walden Pond is a nice benefit in the summer. All within the suburban belt of Boston, nice place.

Nantucket, MA or Great Barrington, MA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City