Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 11:07 AM

14,324 posts, read 9,202,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Salinas for me, assuming I don't have to commute anywhere.

Copying the pattern, two most recent homes:
Jersey City, NJ or Montclair, NJ?
Having now been to both, Montclair. It's one of those suburban downtowns that's hipper than it looks.

I'm going to have to narrow my focus to participate in this variant, and I'm editing out two neighborhoods in order to get a city vs. city comparison:

Watertown, Mass., or Philadelphia's Germantown section?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:20 AM

23,556 posts, read 44,248,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Having now been to both, Montclair. It's one of those suburban downtowns that's hipper than it looks.

I'm going to have to narrow my focus to participate in this variant, and I'm editing out two neighborhoods in order to get a city vs. city comparison:

Watertown, Mass., or Philadelphia's Germantown section?
Germantown. Historic and well-located, but not overly gentrified...which I like.

Carrying on the current theme, Atlanta or Miami?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Germantown. Historic and well-located, but not overly gentrified...which I like.

Carrying on the current theme, Atlanta or Miami?
You might find something I wrote recently about my home neighborhood interesting, then. It sparked some conversation when I wrote it:

How This Philadelphia Neighborhood Is Gentrifying without Displacement | Next City

Actually, what I'm describing here is what I think could happen more than what is happening right now, but the way things are going right now, I think they might be able to pull it off.

Repeating: Atlanta or Miami?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 PM

10,771 posts, read 23,907,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You might find something I wrote recently about my home neighborhood interesting, then. It sparked some conversation when I wrote it:

How This Philadelphia Neighborhood Is Gentrifying without Displacement | Next City

Actually, what I'm describing here is what I think could happen more than what is happening right now, but the way things are going right now, I think they might be able to pull it off.

Repeating: Atlanta or Miami?
Atlanta, Miami is more fun to visit. Atlanta would be a cozier place to call home.

Providence, RI or West Hartford, CT?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:24 PM

9,719 posts, read 9,480,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Atlanta, Miami is more fun to visit. Atlanta would be a cozier place to call home.

Providence, RI or West Hartford, CT?
Providence any day over the slums of Hartford.

Louisville, KY or Atlanta, GA?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:27 PM

755 posts, read 576,995 times
Providence, I like it as a city better & it's proximity to Boston. Although I heard that West Hartford is a nice place. Also because RI has a lower cost of living than CT.

Stony Brook, NY or Uniondale, NY?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Oops! West Hartford is a separate municipality (it's a town) from the city of Hartford. It's one of Hartford's affluent western suburbs along with Farmington and a couple of others.

Carry on with the Long Island battle: Stony Brook vs. Uniondale.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:05 PM

755 posts, read 576,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Louisville, KY or Atlanta, GA?
Atlanta, it has more of a big city feeling & has more to do because of that. Louisville isn't bad though.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:25 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,901,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Atlanta, it has more of a big city feeling & has more to do because of that. Louisville isn't bad though.

Uniondale... on the condition that I live as close to the Hofstra campus as possible. Stony Brook is too deep into Long Island and while it's certainly in a more prosperous area, Uniondale is middle-class enough for my tastes.

Richmond, IN or Richmond, KY?

Old 07-29-2018, 12:46 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,223,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Uniondale... on the condition that I live as close to the Hofstra campus as possible. Stony Brook is too deep into Long Island and while it's certainly in a more prosperous area, Uniondale is middle-class enough for my tastes.

Richmond, IN or Richmond, KY?
Richmond, KY

It is just 25 miles to Lexington, KY and 50 miles to the Red River Gorge area for scenery and recreation. Both cities have about the same population and probably similar weather, too.

Gatlinburg, TN or Incline Village, NV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City