Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:11 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

Beacon Street, the street that Cheers from the tv show is on, next to the huge Boston Common park, is pretty famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 05:51 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
Boston sports aren't on my radar though.

As bjimmy touched on, the Broad Street Bullies is the reason why I know about Broad St. in Philly.

When it comes to Boston, there is none of that. If your teams are rivals with Boston teams then perhaps, but my teams aren't, and I am an NY sports fan on top of it.

I do know of Boylston though because of the marathon bombing so you are right there. I didn't know any Boston streets before visiting there. I grew up in Upstate NY so I am thinking thats how it probably is for the rest of the country as well, and I am only four hours away.

Boston lacks a unifying symbol and famous streets, which isn't a slight to Boston. It's a top 10 city in the US, but it is interesting to note. Most of it's peers have a unifying symbol or famous streets. (Broad St/Liberty Bell, Broadway/Statue of Liberty, Hollywood Sign/Rodeo Drive, Washington Monument/Pennsylvania Ave, etc.)

Boston I can't think of any, which is weird for a city with that much history, and I am speaking entirely about outside perception.

The average person in the US cannot name a single Boston street or symbol for Boston. I would bet on it. If you play word association with other streets or symbols though, they would probably get it for other cities.
Zing

Old 01-31-2017, 09:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
I think Chicago's Michigan Ave. Has attained Iconic status too. 🌟 it shines in cleanliness and early US skyscraper Architecture restored and re-purposed. To N. Michigan Ave being one of America's premiere shopping streets today. 🌟 It shines and is Chicago's main street that begins or ends at its north end. With Oak St beach. 👌

** Some pictures walking along Michigan Ave Chicago's main downtown street.

From the first on a part of S Michigan Ave and walking north along the street north to its beginning and you find N Ave Beach going through a underpass to Lake Michigan's shore and beach.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Another couple photos I left out along Chicago's Michigan Ave. As it's main downtown street with lots of flowers and S. Michigan Ave. The Art Institute Museum and Millennium Park along part of its eastern side with the Museum and Grant Park further down though.

Why it fits for a American Vibrant Iconic street.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I would probably wager that most people who have not been to Chicago & Atlanta (and do not visit weird city websites like this one), and are not from those regions, would be unaware of Michigan Avenue & Peachtree Street.
From my west coast perspective, Michigan is moderately well known. Atlanta isn't even on most people's radars, let alone Peachtree.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:50 PM

226 posts, read 133,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I would probably wager that most people who have not been to Chicago & Atlanta (and do not visit weird city websites like this one), and are not from those regions, would be unaware of Michigan Avenue & Peachtree Street.

Putting Michigan Ave and peachtree on the same level is crazy lol

Old 02-07-2022, 12:17 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
While basically nobody could name it, Acorn Street is the most recognizable in Boston. Where if you showed a picture people would say “that’s Boston”

Old 02-07-2022, 12:37 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
While basically nobody could name it, Acorn Street is the most recognizable in Boston. Where if you showed a picture people would say “that’s Boston”
The Narrow Cobble Stone street?

Old 02-07-2022, 01:24 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Narrow Cobble Stone street?
Yes.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:15 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
Putting Michigan Ave and peachtree on the same level is crazy lol
What they said was accurate though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City