Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:39 PM

5,470 posts, read 5,748,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd say that is good enough for a second-place finish. Los Angeles easily has the most well-known suburbs/satellite cities and NYC easily has the most in-city neighborhoods that are well known.
I think NYC also has pretty well known suburbs/satellite cities: Newark, Jersey City, Montclair, the Hamptons, Greenwich, Stamford, Yonkers, Hoboken, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:43 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,652,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
As weird as this may sound New Orleans might be up there too. French Quarter, Garden District, Lower Ninth Ward, Gentilly.

In Chicago all I can think of is The Loop, Boystown, Wrigleyville, Magnificent Mile - maybe Lincoln Park and Hyde Park. Obviously I am a city nerd so I can name probably 2 dozen Chicago neighborhoods but this is what I think most people would know.

San Francisco / Bay area is hard because it has a lot of well known suburbs/satellite cities like Oakland, San Jose/Silicon Valley, and Palo Alto. Within San Francisco there is The Haight, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, The Mission, The Presidio, Telegraph Hill, Tenderloin, and maybe SOMA and maybe The Castro.

I'd say that is good enough for a second-place finish. Los Angeles easily has the most well-known suburbs/satellite cities and NYC easily has the most in-city neighborhoods that are well known.
Pac Heights (has a whole Hollywood movie about it) and Nob Hill (where all the famous grand dame hotels and cable car views are) are far more well known than Telegraph Hill (which is probably known only to those who have seen the parrot documentary on Netflix) or the Presidio (not widely known these days, but inherently famous during the 1950s and before). Castro is extremely well known to the entire gay population of the developed world, trust (which is a sizable population that knows of it intimately).

What I think is interesting is that many if not most of the well known SF neighborhoods take on the name of their main thoroughfares, but when most people think of these names, they don't think of the street, only the neighborhood.

Which is more widely known - Union Square NYC or Union Square SF? I've always wondered that.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,200,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think NYC also has pretty well known suburbs/satellite cities: Newark, Jersey City, Montclair, the Hamptons, Greenwich, Stamford, Yonkers, Hoboken, etc.
Nowhere near the level of Los Angeles, though. With the exception of possibly Yonkers (and that's REALLY pushing it), none of those are strictly synonymous with NYC or mistaken as a part of the city. They all have an identity apart from NYC that is stronger. Versus when you say Compton, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, etc., those satellite cities/suburbs are not only synonymous with L.A., they're frequently mistaken as being an actual part if the city.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:47 PM

What's the street in SF with all of the Chinese lanterns. You know, the one that was breathed on by Godzilla in the remake and shown in other movies? Is that just generic Chinatown?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:49 PM

632 posts, read 936,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Nowhere near the level of Los Angeles, though. With the exception of possibly Yonkers (and that's REALLY pushing it), none of those are strictly synonymous with NYC or mistaken as a part of the city. They all have an identity apart from NYC that is stronger. Versus when you say Compton, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, etc., those satellite cities/suburbs are not only synonymous with L.A., they're frequently mistaken as being an actual part if the city.
That's so true. I've been to SoCal tons of times and I still just refer to the whole place as LA. Whenever I fly into Burbank airport and the flight crew says, "Welcome to Burbank," I always think why not just say LA...I mean downtown LA is right over that hill lol.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:01 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,791,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
What's the street in SF with all of the Chinese lanterns. You know, the one that was breathed on by Godzilla in the remake and shown in other movies? Is that just generic Chinatown?
Grant Ave:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7929...7i13312!8i6656

Old 08-19-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Thanks

Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,820,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Grant Ave is also the name of a song extolling the thrill of San Francisco's Chinatown in Rogers & Hammerstein's musical Flower Drum Song -- which is the first time I heard of the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzv_qAlDZyA

Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,682,092 times
Most things will come down to Nyc & L.A respectively so i think it's fair to ask who's 3rd in most categories.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 AM

279 posts, read 363,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^Threesides wants a current resident of Atlanta to say that Peachtree is iconic/famous, not someone who doesn't live in Atlanta but still knows Peachtree and thinks it's iconic/famous. (lol)
uhm, what?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City