Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,291,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I would probably wager that most people who have not been to Chicago & Atlanta (and do not visit weird city websites like this one), and are not from those regions, would be unaware of Michigan Avenue & Peachtree Street.
Few who visit LA. Actually do Rodeo Drive. Most who visit NYC.... do Times Square and next 5th Ave to stroll. But ALL Who visit Chicago Stroll Michigan Ave. Their impressions are HIGH. Chicago does get 50 million visitors a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 PM

16 posts, read 18,614 times
St. Louis: Delmar Loop.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,194,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Few who visit LA. Actually do Rodeo Drive. Most who visit NYC.... do Times Square and next 5th Ave to stroll. But ALL Who visit Chicago Stroll Michigan Ave. Their impressions are HIGH. Chicago does get 50 million visitors a year.
That's a ridiculous, unverifiable claim. How do you know where L.A. or NYC visitors go as opposed to Chicago? Does Michigan Ave have a tourist counter?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,382,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd say in the greater Los Angeles area the most famous streets are:

1. Sunset Blvd - LA/West Hollywood
2. Rodeo Drive - Beverly Hills
3. Hollywood Blvd - Los Angeles
4. Wilshire Blvd - Los Angeles/Beverly Hills/Santa Monica
5. Mulholland Drive - Los Angeles
6. Colorado Blvd - Pasadena/Los Angeles
7. Pacific Coast Highway - Malibu, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, South Bay, Long Beach, Orange County
8. Vine Street - Los Angeles
9. Ventura Blvd - Los Angeles
10. Crenshaw Blvd - Los Angeles, South Bay

A bonus would be Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica and Venice (Los Angeles), which may not have much name recognition but certainly has the visual recognition.

Of those ten I think maybe the first three could make a national top 10 list for being famous or iconic. Wilshire is the city's busiest, most vibrant and most important street, but I don't know how well known it is outside of Southern California. Colorado Blvd has some national cache because of the Rose Parade.
I'd largely agree with this list. Might add or substitute some with Melrose Ave. or Laurel Canyon Blvd. (important music history), or some of the (San Fernando) Valley streets like Cahuenga (cuh-WANG-uh) Blvd., Van Nuys Blvd., Lankershim Blvd.

Others that might be known include, La Brea Ave., La Cienega Blvd, Fairfax Ave., Pico Blvd., Sepulveda Blvd., Slauson Ave., Florence Ave., Western Ave., Figueroa St., Olympic Blvd. and Broadway (most well-known street in DTLA?) Wouldn't be surprised if these were unknown outside the county.

Valley Blvd. starts in LA, but is more famous as the major street that forms the spine of the massive suburban Chinatown of the San Gabriel Valley.

Does Olvera Street and the Venice Boardwalk count? Semi-seriously, Santee Alley is pretty vibrant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isn't Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley nationally famous?

As someone who's basically never left LA, until I started reading City-Data, I didn't know Michigan Ave. is a famous street in Chicago (I probably would have assumed that it was in Detroit); the Magnificent Mile sounds too much like the Miracle Mile here so I probably never noticed it. Beale St. sounds familiar but I couldn't place it in a city or even a state. Peachtree doesn't ring a bell but I'd assume a connection with Georgia. I've only recently become aware of Austin's Sixth St. as that city continues its impressive ascent.

As a long-time car mag reader, I've been aware of Woodward Ave. for decades.

For universal recognition, I'd say (unranked):

Wall St.
Madison Ave.
5th Ave.
Broadway (I thought it was the name of the theater district and not the name of an actual street)
Pennsylvania Ave.
Bourbon St.
Las Vegas Blvd (Strip)
Sunset Blvd.
Rodeo Dr.

Regarding Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills, I would have nominated many other LA streets as being more famous but judging from other posts, I guess Rodeo Dr. is well known nationally. Do people know that it's pronounced "roe-day-oh" and not like the thing with cowboys?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,117,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
ALL Who visit Chicago Stroll Michigan Ave.
Okay but like my main point was about people who have never been to Chicago, plus those other things I said..

Old 08-20-2015, 11:17 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,678,958 times
Well it's a reason the media has L.A & Nyc as the cities to film about .But to be honest San Francisco is a solid 3rd in Hollywood now. Many movies as of late are filmed with San Francisco in it.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:00 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,291,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That's a ridiculous, unverifiable claim. How do you know where L.A. or NYC visitors go as opposed to Chicago? Does Michigan Ave have a tourist counter?
That was a ridicules mis-understanding (I must remember to use shock value) No on insinuated Rodeo Dr or 5th Ave don't get many tourist. But LA is a BEAST .... But Rodeo Drive is seen as soooo high end.... With Around LA so many OTHER SIGHTS..... HOLLYWOOD, BEVERLY HILL STAR'S HOMES, THE COAST ALL WANT TO SEE, DISNEYLAND. None in walking distance.

In Chicago, virtually ALL Tourist stay in a 3 mile radius downtown. It is fairly compact and you CAN literally walk one end to the other. The main Museums are there. Business core of the Loop. Easily Walkable that South Michigan Ave borders. Tourist fill Millennium Park daily along it.

Then all have to pass through the I believe.... center of downtown Wacker Dr. And Michigan Ave. Crossing the Bridge. Walking over the Bridge from the South. You are now ONE NORTH MICHIGAN AVE.

Now sights declared Chicago gets 50 million visitors a year. Vast majority counted head downtown. You can easily go to LA and never do its downtown core. Soooooo much is outside of it.

So my comment of MOST TOURIST Walk Michigan Ave stands.... because.
Sooooo many of Chicago's Hotels are along it or within a couple blocks oh it. The Loop has its share. N Michigan Ave is not in the Loop. South Michigan also has many Hotels. NO WAY IS SOMEONE IN A HOTEL IN CHICAGO'S DOWNTOWN. GOING TO NOT SEE MICHIGAN AVE.

This is Michigan & Wacker Dr. You cross the bridge to North Michigan Shopping.https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8882...2!8i6656?hl=en

Add to that Chicago has ONE MAIN THOROUGHFARE. The 2+ miles of Michigan Ave downtown. Wicker Drive generally does not get Walked but for the part along the River... TO MICHIGAN AVE.

State St WAS the main shopping street decades ago. It is again a great shopping street for more suburban Mall Type stores. Including a Target store. The OLE GRAND DADDY STORE... FORMER MARSHALL FIELD'S now a MACY'S Still remains as one of the nations old standards old retail Giants. Also tourist visit.

I then NEVER Said MORE Tourist hit Michigan Av vs. 5th Ave. But I did suggest. ALL TOURIST To Chicago. Do walk or Drive it. Most to NYC will do 5th Ave. But NYC'S MANHATTAN. Is also a BEAST. Times Square to Broadway to Wall St and Ground Zero.

Hope that is clearer. If it was the 50 million tourist to Chicago you deny? Here is one sight of a few, acknowledging it....

Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | CLTV

Claims topping NYC in Domestic tourist. But BY FAR... NYC GETS A TON MORE INTERNATIONAL TOURIST THEN CHICAGO. That puts its numbers then far above. OK.....

Old 08-21-2015, 03:08 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,788,526 times
Some are famous, others are well-known.

New York

- 5th Ave. (prestige / shopping)
- Wall St. (many reasons)
- Broadway (entertainment)
- Park Ave. (prestige)
- Madison Ave. (prestige / shopping)
- CPW (prestige)
- 57th St. (billionaire's row)
- Mercer St. (vibrancy)

Los Angeles

- Rodeo Dr. (shopping)
- Hollywood Blvd. (tourism)
- Sunset Strip (nightlife)
- Sunset Blvd. (scenery)
- Mulholland Dr. (scenery)
- Wilshire Blvd. (many reasons)
- PCH (scenery)
- Robertson Blvd. (shopping)

Chicago

- Michigan Ave. (prestige/shopping)
- Lake Shore (scenery)
- Wacker Dr. (scenery)
- Oak St. (shopping)

Dallas

- Elm St. (infamous, really)
- Turtle Creek Blvd. (prestige)
- Beverly Dr. (prestige)
- Park Ln. (prestige)
- Highland Park Village (shopping)
- McKinney Ave. (nightlife)
- Strait Ln. (billionaire's row)

Boston

- Boylston St. (shopping)
- Commonwealth Ave. (prestige)
- Newbury St. (shopping)

San Francisco

- Lombard St. (tourism)
- Geary St. (shopping)
- Steiner St. (television)

Kansas City

- Ward Pkwy. (prestige)
- 47th St. in-between Jefferson and Baltimore (vibrancy)

Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 5,620 times
1. New Orleans: Canal St. (but most would think Bourbon St.)
2. New York: 5th Ave (but some would say Broadway or Wall St)
3. Los Angeles:Wilshire Blvd. (but some would say Hollywood Blvd or Santa Monica)
4. Chicago: Michigan Ave
5. Houston: Westheimer Rd.
6. Miami: Ocean Dr. (but Collins is becoming more popular) or Calle Ocho
7. Las Vegas: Las Vegas Blvd (or the Vegas Strip)
8. Washington DC: Pennsylvania Ave
9. Atlanta: Peachtree Rd.
10. San Francisco: Lombard St
11. Memphis: Beale
12. Austin: 6th St.
13. Detroit: 8 Mile
14. Boston: Beacon St.
15. Philadelphia: Broad St. (or some would say South St.)
16. Orlando: International Dr.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,149 posts, read 7,624,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCreole View Post
1. New Orleans: Canal St. (but most would think Bourbon St.)
2. New York: 5th Ave (but some would say Broadway or Wall St)
3. Los Angeles:Wilshire Blvd. (but some would say Hollywood Blvd or Santa Monica)
4. Chicago: Michigan Ave
5. Houston: Westheimer Rd.
6. Miami: Ocean Dr. (but Collins is becoming more popular) or Calle Ocho
7. Las Vegas: Las Vegas Blvd (or the Vegas Strip)
8. Washington DC: Pennsylvania Ave
9. Atlanta: Peachtree Rd.
10. San Francisco: Lombard St
11. Memphis: Beale
12. Austin: 6th St.
13. Detroit: 8 Mile
14. Boston: Beacon St.
15. Philadelphia: Broad St. (or some would say South St.)
16. Orlando: International Dr.
Never heard of Westheimer Rd, but then again never been to Houston, otherwise good list.

I don't think Wilshire is more popular than Sunset or Hollywood Blvd to people from the East Coast.

PA Ave is definitely top 5 popularity though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City