Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 10:37 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,289,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Where do these "schlubs" live, please? And, can't these "schlubs" enjoy shopping at WalMart in NYC and eating at Applebee's, let's say, in Times Square?
Well when someone has to insult people eating in Applebees intelligence. Apparently a University near me and maybe has a lot of low-class students.... LOL oh guess Muncie Indiana too. If they have a Applebee's and WalMart. Some people never get scolded for going in threads for short quips that insult a posters intelligence totally.
EXACTLY LOL Yes... gotta put the term "schlubs" that right up there with "You are Jelly"

But this is C-D ....those that do it back to others will be scolded. Be as subtle as them. But they have become experts. C-D professionals at it. THEY USE SLANG TERMS TO DEMEAN... YET SHE NEVER GET SCOLDED?

Other Comments like, C-D is like a contact sport, and if you don't have passion for your city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
You're fine. City vs City is a contact sport lol. I tend to question people who DON'T have any passion or are willing to be nice to everybody lol. As long as you are coherent and logical in your arguments, it's all good.
Means if you can try a little DEFLATEGATE? All is FAIR in PEACE and WAR?

Then some posters realize, it does not NEED TO BE Chicago best NYC in ANYTHING... The fact Chicago has its share of Quality. Tops in Shopping to Restaurants today. A Quintessential AMERICAN Downtown now.
Should be kept in mind. Being more Recognizable in the world today then most its history. As other cities grow in stature.... Chicago will have to share aspects with other cities too and acknowledge they share in some Tops and Quality also.
But some just need NYC CLAIMED AS HAVING ALL THE TOPS IN EVERYTHING. CASE CLOSED... MOVE ON schlubs ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Chicago is more diverse than you would expect (not that I care either way since "Diversity" has no real impact on my preference for a city).....
But yea NYC and LA are ridiculously "diverse" same with DC....Chicago is diverse, but not to quite the same extent...
This can be basically the way it is... and OK..According to Wikipedia. Manhattan ALONE, lost 9% in population in the 70s and 6% in the 80s. Remember too NYC was on the verge of BANKRUPTCY IN THE 70s. The US Federal Government bailed it out. It turned full circle. What it already attained....The world was not going to leave be lost.

What Chicago attained too. I do not see being allowed to be lost. Or America's decline is also following. Does not mean other cities especially in the world and in the US. Are not going to claim some aspects in quantity or over it in population. But that alone, is NOT the criteria to declare passing it in stature and value. Its history is secure. Its placement in the Midwest is.

We are in a era the Coast and Sunbelt, are still on the rise. Does not mean future events will not Change that.... Water shortages, Earthquakes to Oceans rising? Might see the Midwest rise again.

Again NYC surly will maintain Quantity. But other cities YES CITIES . HAVE THEIR SHARE TOO.
CHICAGO SURLY HAS its share of TOP EDGY RESTAURANTS AND SHOPPING. CHICAGO'S "NORTH MICHIGAN AVE" (Magnificent Mile)...... HAS JOINED THE RANKS OF ICONIC TOP SHOPPING STREETS IN THE US and its off street boutique shops. If some sights place it over "Fifth Ave". So be it. All need not agree. BUT RESPECT IT COULD..... they should.

America's Best Shopping Streets | U.S. News Travel
Chicago's Michigan Ave voted #2 after LA's Rodeo Drive. With Chicago the #2 Shopping destination after NYC.
8 Best Shopping Destinations in the USA | U.S. News Travel

Chicago's MICHIGAN Ave listed #6 in the world. FIFTH Ave , NYC #5, Rodeo Dr. LA #2.
Top 10 Shopping Avenues - Travel - National Geographic

As for Top Dining Restaurants Chicago has its Share..
It's not just Michelin ratings with prestige...

2015 Top 40 Restaurants in the US - 2015 Restaurant Issue | Gayot
NYC has 8 restaurants listed and Chicago 4. Chicago still second....

IN THE END... IT'S FAIR TO GIVE EVERY CITY ITS SHARE AS WARRANTED. NOT DIMINISH ANOTHERS CITY TO GIVE CREDIT TO YOURS.... Or to Claim NYC is #1. By lessening others.

Last edited by steeps; 08-20-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 10:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,956,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I did already.

That's not what I said.

No, that's not true.

You seem unnecessarily hostile, so I'm not talking to you anymore.
Actually, according to the 2010 Census, there are more Polish People in New York City than Chicago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,306,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
There are no Wal-Marts in NYC.

The average quality of food is the same in Muncie, IN compared to Chicago and NYC, therefore Muncie = Chicago = NYC, its a wash. Everybody wins! Obviously when people are evaluating the food in a city, they are evaluating diversity of options and quality of restaurants, not the quality of tomatoes...
Since you seem to take what people say very literally let me rephrase: I've seen no evidence that NY has a vastly better "diversity of options and quality of restaurants". I am sure NY has more restaurants of every type of cuisine, quality and price range. But more does not mean better, and in any case one can only visit so many restaurants in their life. As for quality, I stand by my comment above. There is no evidence that the quality of food options (however you want to define it) is better in NY than Chicago.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Actually, according to the 2010 Census, there are more Polish People in New York City than Chicago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations
YES THATS IT .... SCALE IS TIPPED CHICAGO HAS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AS #1 IN .....NOT EVEN IN POLES NOW ....... it does still in its Metro... but that's nothing either.....SO NOW WE CAN LAY CHICAGO TO REST and give NYC TOPS IN US NOW ON... E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Absolutely ALL. .......me... I just walk off with Tail curled under.....

Old 08-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
YES THATS IT .... SCALE IS TIPPED CHICAGO HAS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AS #1 IN .....NOT EVEN IN POLES NOW ....... it does still in its Metro... but that's nothing either.....SO NOW WE CAN LAY CHICAGO TO REST and give NYC TOPS IN US NOW ON... E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Absolutely ALL. .......me... I just walk off with Tail curled under.....
Can you please translate this to English?

Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Can you please translate this to English?
LOL YOU WIN CHICAGO LOSES ABSOLUTELY ALL AND ANY WIN AGAINST NYC.

Once Most Poles was lost for Chicago vs. NYC... but NOT FOR in its Metro. THE CITY and any posters who Defend or BOAST for it. IS LOST. If not clear yet? No need to reply. What is left after a surrender..... Chicago lost it all. Only NYC shines.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
LOL YOU WIN CHICAGO LOSES ABSOLUTELY ALL AND ANY WIN AGAINST NYC.

Once Most Poles was lost for Chicago vs. NYC... but NOT FOR in its Metro. THE CITY and any posters who Defend or BOAST for it. IS LOST. If not clear yet? No need to reply. What is left after a surrender..... Chicago lost it all. Only NYC shines.
Your posts make no sense, all I did was point out NYC proper has more Polish People, there is no need for all of your gibberish.

I live in Chicago, BTW.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 AM

150 posts, read 296,335 times
Chicago: smarter city planning with alleys, much more park space, nicer beaches/waterfront life, more interesting architecture/skyline, better museums, better universities.. all with a lower cost of living.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:31 AM

366 posts, read 405,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon010181 View Post
Chicago: smarter city planning with alleys, much more park space, nicer beaches/waterfront life, more interesting architecture/skyline, better museums, better universities.. all with a lower cost of living.
Nah.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Your posts make no sense, all I did was point out NYC proper has more Polish People, there is no need for all of your gibberish.

I live in Chicago, BTW.
That makes it all better.... kick me when down... I a former non-homie but by adoption of the City. You perhaps a Homie? Still wants to give the nod to NYC. You at least could have said . The sight still gives CHICAGOLAND Tops in Poles. Just Chicago proper no and not where most nee Poles that immigrate to go.

All is ok.... really . I will continue to defend my favorite city on C-D till banned. Now moving on... I have another poster to tend to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City