Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 03:12 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,439,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Let us keep from turning this thread into a C vs. C dumpster fire, or it will be closed.
At least in Chicago, that dumpster fire will happen in a back alley But seriously, folks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, you didn't. Please name one such community in Chicago. You can't, because there are none.

You claimed there were large ethnic communities in Chicago than didn't have major representation in NYC, so please name just one.
I'm going to make this very, very clear, but this is the last time I will do that:

I said that Chicago has some communities that are *larger* than they are in NYC, not that NYC did not have representation of those communities as well. There are more Mexicans in Chicago, for instance. There are also more Germans. And yes, there are more Poles (I posted a link proving as much PAGES ago. I'm not going to dig it up for you. The Census is counting Polish-Americans in the most recent link....not Polish immigrants. Totally different).

Quote:
Yes, it's exactly what you said.
No, it is not.

Quote:
Aha, so the Census is fabricating data, according to you? They lied about the number of Poles in NYC and Chicago, just because they don't like you? That's your contention?
Are we done here, then?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:17 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
At least in Chicago, that dumpster fire will happen in a back alley But seriously, folks...
Bu-dum-ching!

Old 08-20-2015, 03:34 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,993,577 times
A hot dog stand next to all those trash bags on the sidewalk with flies buzzing around. I'll pass...

Old 08-20-2015, 03:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Not at all, and in fact, you are taking my quote out of context. The quote in context is as follows:

"Those links both have over twenty groups represented. There are groups in New York's link not represented in Chicago, there are groups in Chicago's link not represented in New York, and in neither case is the link exhaustive."

Notice that I said that there are groups in New York's link not represented in Chicago, but I should have been a bit more specific: there are groups represented in New York's link that are not represented in Chicago's link. And vice versa.

Also notice that I said that neither link is exhaustive. I fully expect that New York City has more than 25 (or however many) immigrant communities represented, just as Chicago does.

Regarding your link, I don't think that it is fair to compare large cities like Chicago (or New York) with much smaller ones, but that's tangential...
How did I take this out of context? You clearly said above there are groups represented in Chicago not represented in NYC. Adding the caveat of simply based off that "link" is a weak cop out. Either there are groups in Chicago not represented in NYC, or there aren't. You've yet to prove that.That's what NOLAs harping on. You can't point to a link to boost your argument while simultaneously disowning it ("it's not exhaustive ").

Last edited by qworldorder; 08-20-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 04:58 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,294,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Let us keep from turning this thread into a C vs. C dumpster fire, or it will be closed.
Thank You. It was a repeated thread from the start. The only city vs. City thread I created... within minutes was erased as a too many like it. I thought from the start and noted what would happen. As every NYC vs thread... especially with Chicago does. Sorry Nola I was seen as too intense with.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
True.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:01 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,817,700 times
I think NYC is a better city (and less crime) but Chicago was planned better from an urban layout perspective and is much cleaner.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 PM

135 posts, read 176,178 times
Chicago is more affordable to the average American, and probably a better fit for the average American, and I say that as a person from NYS (Upstate) and has lived in NYC.

I love NYC but I hate what its become which is basically a playground for the rich, and the same for SF, which was one of my favorite cities until I came onto this site.

Chicago is more accessible to the average American and a greater % of the city is available to the average person as well.

Most people that move or live in NYC id bet only use about 20% of the city. Manhattan and Brooklyn are the reasons people move there and on top of that, there's the cost. Whats the point of bragging about living in a box near rich people?

What I like about Chicago is that it doesn't have to put on a facade for anyone. It can just be itself. Nobody cares what you make (at least not as much as NYC anyway). A lighter mood amongst Chicagoans than New Yorkers in my experiences.

Call a spade a spade. Ive been to London and Paris, which are really the only two other cities that can compete with NYC on a cultural/center of the world level and while they were definitely up there, they're not like NYC, so NYC has that center of the world going for it admittedly, but its definitely not the best at everything.

As for better food/museums/nightlife, etc. its all subjective. If you like Chicago more than NYC, good for you. If you like NYC more than Chicago, good for you. Who the hell are we to say you're wrong? I will say the Mexican food ive had in NYC doesn't compare to anything ive had in Chicago.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I think NYC is a better city (and less crime) but Chicago was planned better from an urban layout perspective and is much cleaner.
I agree totally that Chicago was better planned urban layout and CLEANER... I've said that I'm many threads. A full alleyway system I think was a great decision, and all neighborhoods set-backs and each block has a uniform one, with green space and plenty of trees. So many they go over the homes...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City