Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 08:30 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,680,872 times

Advertisements

Far as Diversity i rank L.A right with Nyc if not above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 01:01 AM

387 posts, read 358,192 times
Chicago is more diverse than you would expect (not that I care either way since "Diversity" has no real impact on my preference for a city).....

But yea NYC and LA are ridiculously "diverse" same with DC....Chicago is diverse, but not to quite the same extent...

Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 AM

387 posts, read 358,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
It'll win because (for some/most?) it's the better city perhaps? If money weren't an issue which city would people pick. . . . ?

No denying Chicago is a world class city. It's Downtown is Top 5, if not Top 3 in America and ranks nicely on the global scale. It's a true power house.

Though when comparing to NYC . . . . . it's cute.

It's all personal preference with a thread like this though. So it shouldn't be too much bashing. Some will say Chicago is more manageable/less intense, which is true. Everyone can willingly agree it's also cleaner overall than NYC. But food, shopping, fashion, diversity, education, luxury, urbanity, etc. . . are those things really debatable?

Food, Shopping, Fashion is a wash/draw because they both have WAY more than enough for any 1 person to be satisfied with for a lifetime....

But yea if you lived to 300 years old than obviously NYC wins since it simply has way more of each category to offer....But when has anyone gotten "bored" with the food in Chicago??? There is literally different options (many of good quality) everywhere in the Downtown and surrounding areas....

For a family of 8 each of whom live to 110 years old before they die....NYC is clearly better in Fashion, Shopping, Food etc....For most normal people/situations both cities have more than enough for every category to last a lifetime....

Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,391,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
My point is that, sure, New York City has the larger Dominican community....but one can easily flip that on its head and point to the fact that Chicago has larger communities of other groups.
Well then why don't you name these communities.

Name a community that exists in large numbers in Chicago, and doesn't exist in large numbers in NYC. Good luck with that!

There are even more Poles in NYC than in Chicago. The immigrant totals in NYC are so enormous, that minor ethnicites in NYC outrank the biggest ethnicites in Chicago. Really the only major ethnicity where Chicago outranks NYC is with Mexicans, and even with Mexicans there is a fairly large NYC community.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,391,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Food, Shopping, Fashion is a wash/draw because they both have WAY more than enough for any 1 person to be satisfied with for a lifetime....
That makes no sense. Obviously NYC has vastly better food, shopping, fashion than Chicago. It takes five seconds to notice this, not a lifetime.

Yes, an average person shopping at WalMart and eating at Applebees doesn't care, but then one could argue Muncie, IN has the same food, shopping and fashion as Chicago, since most schlubs don't care about such stuff.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,940,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That makes no sense. Obviously NYC has vastly better food, shopping, fashion than Chicago. It takes five seconds to notice this, not a lifetime.

Yes, an average person shopping at WalMart and eating at Applebees doesn't care, but then one could argue Muncie, IN has the same food, shopping and fashion as Chicago, since most schlubs don't care about such stuff.

Where do these "schlubs" live, please? And, can't these "schlubs" enjoy shopping at WalMart in NYC and eating at Applebee's, let's say, in Times Square?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:00 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,549,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post

But yea if you lived to 300 years old than obviously NYC wins since it simply has way more of each category to offer....But when has anyone gotten "bored" with the food in Chicago??? There is literally different options (many of good quality) everywhere in the Downtown and surrounding areas....
I agree with this.

Hell, I go out all the time in the Milwaukee area and there are still tons of places I want to hit but don't have the time. And Milwaukee is small.

Clearly NYC wins objectively on almost every point, its population and amenities are unrivaled, and it's not even close. But it's absolutely valid to point out that in many cities (San Fran, Chicago, LA, etc.) it's not like you'll ever run out of exciting things to check out.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,310,750 times
The fact that NYC might have 5 great restaurants for each great one in Chicago (and, conversely, 5 crappy restaurants for each crappy one in Chicago) doesn't make its food "vastly better" (or worse). I have seen no evidence, apart from biased opinions, that the average quality of food in NY is any better than in Chicago. Anecdotally, I've had a lot more mediocre and overpriced food in NY (even on a percentage basis) than on my travels to Chicago, Boston, Philly and SF in the last 4-5 years, for what it's worth. But the sample sizes are obviously very different.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:37 AM

5,467 posts, read 5,743,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Where do these "schlubs" live, please? And, can't these "schlubs" enjoy shopping at WalMart in NYC and eating at Applebee's, let's say, in Times Square?
There are no Wal-Marts in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I have seen no evidence, apart from biased opinions, that the average quality of food in NY is any better than in Chicago.
The average quality of food is the same in Muncie, IN compared to Chicago and NYC, therefore Muncie = Chicago = NYC, its a wash. Everybody wins! Obviously when people are evaluating the food in a city, they are evaluating diversity of options and quality of restaurants, not the quality of tomatoes...

Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Well then why don't you name these communities.
I did already.

Quote:
Name a community that exists in large numbers in Chicago, and doesn't exist in large numbers in NYC. Good luck with that!
That's not what I said.

Quote:
There are even more Poles in NYC than in Chicago. The immigrant totals in NYC are so enormous, that minor ethnicites in NYC outrank the biggest ethnicites in Chicago. Really the only major ethnicity where Chicago outranks NYC is with Mexicans, and even with Mexicans there is a fairly large NYC community.
No, that's not true.

You seem unnecessarily hostile, so I'm not talking to you anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City