Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:27 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,982,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
If you want hustle & bustle, constant energy and the feeling of being "at the center of it all" -- and can afford it -- NY.

If you prefer a city that is less intense, but one that might provide a 'better balance' of great urban amenities and comfortable/affordable lifestyle -- and dont mind brutal winters -- then Chicago.
Also a 'better balance' of freedom that doesn't have a billionaire nanny mayor to tell you how much soda you can drink while rummaging through your kitchen cabinets--Chicago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:34 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Also a 'better balance' of freedom that doesn't have a billionaire nanny mayor to tell you how much soda you can drink while rummaging through your kitchen cabinets--Chicago.

Bloomberg is no longer mayor...

Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Bloomberg is no longer mayor...
History could repeat itself...you never know. (another Bloomberg)

Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 PM

17 posts, read 17,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
I'd say London is the center of the world. More history, number one place for fashion and music. The BBC, and the busiest airport in the world.

Chicago might not have as much going on, but it's a lot cheaper and a lot friendlier, and you don't feel packed like sardines all the time. These days, NYC has two types of people: rich people, and people struggling to get by. Not a great breeding ground for creativity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
100% agree.

Music and art are major parts of culture and aren't traditionally lucrative areas and we're already seeing a shift in these creative types leaving NYC for more affordable areas.

How much culture came out of NYC during the 60's, 70's, 80's when it was more of an everyman's city and not a center of concentrated wealth? Culture and art are going to suffer because the most creative types are leaving.

Or these creative types that make it big come from elsewhere and move to NYC when they've "made it".

You're wrong, as usual. It's a fact that NYC has the nation's largest share of creative class. It's also a fact that it's share of the nation's creative class growing. Hard cold facts tend to not line up with perception fed to you by hysterical media, I know. But here are the facts:

NYC’s creative class job sector tops L.A., as film and TV production jumps

Sure, some are priced out then they're promptly replaced. That's what way the city rolls.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:48 AM

387 posts, read 356,540 times
Besides the weird side issues that I could care less about (Gun Control/Soda Bans)....I would say that Bloomberg did a very good job as Major...

The city definitely improved under his terms....which is all that really matters....I'm probably the only moderate/conservative on earth who doesn't really care either way about Guns (I don't get passionate about them either way)...I don't think gun control/gun confiscation really lowers violent crime (and neither does allowing everyone to easily get a gun like the silly NRA fantasy), but I also don't think guns are needed to "prevent a tyrannical government" (lol like private gun ownership would be able to prevent a government in 2015 from intruding on right/liberties of its citizens....this isn't 1776 people....things have changed ALOT)

The truth is violent crime in a society/city seems to be completely independent of gun control/no gun control....The Left Wing gun grabbers and the NRA "Armed society is a polite society" mantras are BOTH stupid and illogical....Whether 90 of every 100 people own a gun or whether 5 out of every 100 people own a gun....I don't think it will have any major impact on violent crime levels...

If an "Armed society is a polite society" is true than how come major cities in Red controlled Deep South states often have terrible violent crime problems??? Memphis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta, Richmond, Knoxville, Most Cities in Florida/South Carolina etc?? The answer: Most of these cities are poor and economically undeveloped (compared to other regions) and that is what is driving the violent crime rates....It doesn't matter that any one can easily get a gun and that certainly doesn't effect violent crime rates in any meaningful way...

I don't drink Soda, so I could care less about the Soda Ban....

Last edited by NY to Chicago; 08-24-2015 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Besides the weird side issues that I could care less about (Gun Control/Soda Bans)....I would say that Bloomberg did a very good job as Major...
So you're okay with someone telling you how to live your life because they think you're not competent enough to make those simple decisions on your own by telling what to eat, drink, how sleep, etc..the soda ban was only was just testing the waters to see how much control he can get away with. After all he was the 1% who knows best right? I couldn't imagine the Chicago's mayor ever doing something like this. As a result you have more freedom in Chicago and less freedom in NYC. If he was such a great mayor maybe doing a better job removing trash off the sidewalks would be a more important issue to me than wasting tax money and time on some stupid soda ban. Well, at least there were some people in NYC and a judge who would disagree with you on that which is why the soda ban failed to passed. So are you going to come back and say well other people in the city are incompetent to make decisions for themselves because I'm the only exception? The interesting part is that Bloomberg has nothing in common with people with lower income below his elite class. The idea of banning stuff only makes him see most New Yorkers as merely incompetent peasants within the population. It's all about power and control to him.

Quote:
The city definitely improved under his terms....which is all that really matters....I'm probably the only moderate/conservative on earth who doesn't really care either way about Guns (I don't get passionate about them either way)...I don't think gun control/gun confiscation really lowers violent crime (and neither does allowing everyone to easily get a gun like the silly NRA fantasy), but I also don't think guns are needed to "prevent a tyrannical government" (lol like private gun ownership would be able to prevent a government in 2015 from intruding on right/liberties of its citizens....this isn't 1776 people....things have changed ALOT)
What does guns have anything to do with the soda ban. I never mentioned guns. Well, since you bring it up. First, it's none of my business for a law bidding citizen having the ability to protect themselves when an armed criminal breaks in. No it's not 1776 but we still have armed criminals out there who will find easy targets like unarmed law bidding citizens or gun free zones. You see a law on a piece of paper won't stop criminals from going on a shooting spree. You cannot legislate evil. All your doing is making it hard for law bidding citizens to protect themselves in their own home. 911 isn't enough time for cops to respond. It's just common sense logic.

Quote:
If an "Armed society is a polite society" is true than how come major cities in Red controlled Deep South states often have terrible violent crime problems??? Memphis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta, Richmond, Knoxville, Most Cities in Florida/South Carolina etc?? The answer: Most of these cities are poor and economically undeveloped (compared to other regions) and that is what is driving the violent crime rates....It doesn't matter that any one can easily get a gun and that certainly doesn't effect violent crime rates in any meaningful way...

I don't drink Soda, so I could care less about the Soda Ban....
A lot of those cities are run by the left and leftist policies which also gave you Detroit, Newark, Ferguson, Baltimore etc.. You also have poor areas up North with high crime. No city is immune from it. You can't claim one area and not have the other without looking into the mirror first. NYC has it's issues too with rioting with a race baiting like Sharpton leading the charge to divide a community. FYI..Birmingham hasn't had a riot since the 60's. All lives matter (all ethnic groups).

Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,969 times
Quote:
Lol, any group I mention you're just going to point to , like, a 1,000 people as significant. You're all about the literal interpretation. But sure, give me some numbers on the Trinidadian population of Chicago.
No, I won't. You've done that in this thread, I haven't.

Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/top2/h138.html

I can't seem to find ANY numbers. I mean, I know there's TECHNICALLY some Trinis there, since the city of Chicago now has a whopping TWO Trini restaurants. Please enlighten us on their community representation. Where would I go in Chicago to find a Nicki Minaj? Besides the embassy and those two restaurants lol

http://m.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/a...ns-for-doubles
I'm not sure that a Trinidadian restaurant necessarily means there are Trinidadians there....anyway...

...there are a lot of Indians who settled in Trinidad, and then came to Chicago later. I am not sure that that is what you are looking for, though.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
But the fact remains, they are there.
Where have I pointed to 7,500 people or less as significant diversity anywhere in this thread? You, on the other hand, clearly have, despite your revisionist tendencies. ANY person of ANY ethnicity is good enough for your literal diversity argument, no matter their community numbers. Chicago could literally have one family from Vanuatu and to you, Chicago's got a Melanesian community.

And let me know when you find those Trinidadian numbers for Chicago. Seriously, I'm genuinely interested and part of me wants to believe it's not that easy to shut down your whole Chicago diversity argument.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times
Quote:
Where have I pointed to 7,500 people or less as significant diversity anywhere in this thread? You, on the other hand, clearly have, despite your revisionist tendencies. ANY person of ANY ethnicity is good enough for your literal diversity argument, no matter their community numbers. Chicago could literally have one family from Vanuatu and to you, Chicago's got a Melanesian community.

And let me know when you find those Trinidadian numbers for Chicago. Seriously, I'm genuinely interested and part of me wants to believe it's not that easy to shut down your whole Chicago diversity argument.
Really you all are splitting hairs... NYC is EXPECTED to have LARGER numbers of... ABC and D ethnic groups. But no Chicago is NOT going to have a community of all ethnic groups. You might have some of all who congregate in a block Somewhere...... or less. But being still its size.... it will most likely have some.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:38 PM

366 posts, read 404,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
History could repeat itself...you never know. (another Bloomberg)
And we can go into World War 3 with Russia and the human race could end in a nuke war...but hold off on the fortunetelling for now.

Anyways, nothing more interesting than a guy going on a rant about Bloomberg's tyranny when he is not even the mayor anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City